The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yum beer said:
I have a bottle of this in the fridge, I'm a bit worried about drinking it now.
Ah, all in the name of research. Or some such bullshit.
I just opened the second bottle in case the first one had an infection, and talk about the power of the mind... I actually read the label this time:

"with herbal and ginger aromas, this lightly bittered ale is enhanced by the sweetness of NZ honey..."

Aha, still tastes like shit but now I can drink it without gagging because I know the exact reasons for it tasting like shit. chug a lug :beerbang:

Snatchy said:
The Convict. About 2 hours to get rid of that taste.

Tropical_Brews said:
I agree the Convict is horrible I bought two bottles and both tasted terrible and I thought my homebrew was bad :p My latest stout toucan is shaping up to be epic though.
I just drank a stashed tallie of the Convict (best before date 21/12/13) and it was pretty damn good. As with most strong ales, this one needed time. Lovely liquorice, molasses and anise aromas and flavours.

Bribie G said:
Yeah, I got a stein and can from BWS a couple of months ago - rusty metallic off taste, probably why it was on special, but got the stein for fifteen bucks anyway.

My current worst one is, as posted elsewhere:

attachicon.gif
Summer Dayze.jpg

From Aldi. Not a bad price but thank God it's only in single bottles. Tastes like a mixture of sugared water and pink hand degreaser that mechanics use. It's the first beer I've had for years that actually made me want to throw up afterwards.
I had one of these about 6 months ago and wanted to throw up after the first mouthful. I couldn't stand it in the slightest, and I am pretty tolerant of nasty drinks. After another mouthful to confirm my suspicions, the rest of the bottle found itself down the sink.

Similarly to you I read the label after taking the first sip, and was disappointed to know that they actually made it to taste like that.

the infected one I tried to keg on tuesday night......... :icon_vomit:

I had some truly terrible beers in vietnam, can't remember the names but the further north you went the worse they got.

I can drink almost anything but what I dislike the most is toohies new in stubbies or cans. Not so long ago I had a nice old bloke try to give me a six pack after finishing a job and I had to tell him I didn't drink.
Every so often we have a boys trip away and we organise a few cases of VB and have to get a carton of toohies new for the one or two blokes that drink it. Now I canhappily put away VB (I know its shit too) all day long without issue but the toohies I cant touch and by the end of the week end there's always half a case of toohies left as the toohies drinkers even stop drinking it and start on the VB.

lukencode said:
I had some truly terrible beers in vietnam, can't remember the names but the further north you went the worse they got.
There are some very nice breweries in Vietnam now but when I first lived there in 2008 it was all bia hoi and the rice lagers.

XXXX is my lowest rating beer on Untappd with half a star and the only beer that is sitting on half a star. Just a complete lack of anything and being only 3.5% means that you don't even have the booze profile to hang on to.

From memory I recall Carlton Cold being the worse beer I have ever had though. Along with the 3.5% Forsters they sell in England.

The worst beer I ever drank was an early homebrew attempt of mine that caused an instantaneous gag reflex the moment it hit the taste buds, an indescribably horrible astringent poison taste that my body instantly rejected.

As far as bad commercial beers go, Miller Chill, Carlton Dry Fusion and Carlton Cold would have my vote.

Christmas party for a restaurant I was working at in the early 2000s. I got slated to make a dessert. Made a big tray of vanilla slice, custard filling, good pastry, passionfruit icing, the whole lot. Tasty tray, it was.

Then nobody ate any. So I had some. A few, really. And had been drinking Toohey's Blue light, because I had to drive and it was the only light beer the place had. A few of the Blues, a few vanilla slices, then off home to be quite ill. Still blame the light beer for the entire incident. Appalling stuff.

Haha i can't believe that Carlton Dry hasn't been mentioned, this and Ted's both taste like absolute crap, liquified plastic!

CarltonDry.jpg

lukencode said:
Had a 333 at a Vietnamese restuarant the other night. Expecting the worst, but actually didn't mind it at all. Wouldn't buy a carton though.

Haven't had a megaswill for a while now, but got into a few West End Draughts today. First one tasted like the reason I returned to making my own beers again. Had a Little Creatures on tap yesterday, and although a nice drop, it just reminded me of the glory days when it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Major Arcana said:
Corona indeed! Bloody Disgusting stuff!!
Corona, with a slice of lime and chilli on a 45 degree day is more appealing to me than a double IPA on said day.

IMHO most beers have their place and beers like VB etc (no matter how much the brewing/craft beer community dislike them and deride the as mega swill) are actually good examples of what they profess to be, an easy drinking beer for the masses that is re-produceable. Would I buy a box? No. Would I drink one if someone offered me one? Yes.

Just my opinion. Fire away all those who wish.

JD

JDW81 said:
Corona, with a slice of lime and chilli on a 45 degree day is more appealing to me than a double IPA on said day.

IMHO most beers have their place and beers like VB etc (no matter how much the brewing/craft beer community dislike them and deride the as mega swill) are actually good examples of what they profess to be, an easy drinking beer for the masses that is re-produceable. Would I buy a box? No. Would I drink one if someone offered me one? Yes.

Just my opinion. Fire away all those who wish.

JD
Totally agree, at least about the slice of citrus.
Went next to the door neighbors last summer on for some non beer related issue when he offered me one. I thought he was just being cliche with the with the lime rammed in the neck, but bugger me if wasn't one of the most refreshing things ever. So we adjourned to the pool area and refreshed ourselves six time more.

Would drink again.

Of course, the concept can easily be corrupted once in the hands of some visionary coke addled marketing types. Case in point, Barefoot Radler, which is fcuking pus.

bigmacthepunker said:
My rule is to not drink beer from clear bottles
Me too, worked out long ago that anything in a clear bottle makes me horribly sick.

Latest posts

Back