The Times - They Are A Changin'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see the day!!!!!!!!!!!!! Held a shindie for our 40th Wedding Anniversary a couple of weeks back, 60 odd family and friends consisting of the usual beer and cider drinkers in attendance. And special guest......managed to locate the priest who married us all those years ago, great bloke.

As usual for parties I never expect others to drink my homebrew and provide some commercial stuff. A block of Carlton Mid and Fourex Gold went into the esky along with soft drinks and ice. Guests were invited to help themselves to drinks either commercial from the esky or the draft taps down in the shed/brewery. After a fantastic day nearly 3 kegs of beer were emptied plus half a keg of cider, they sucked on my taps from midday until 11pm. Even Father Harold chose homebrew and enjoyed my Choc Treacle Stout, he had a couple as did most of the uncles and aunts. The younger ones got stuck into it, but no one got blithering drunk or agressive, big thumbs up to homebrew.

Cleaning up next morning I opened the esky to see what was left and Wow! Shock! Not one bloody can of commercial brew was touched, that made me kinda proud, and happy, I can get to brewing again.

40th_Esky_1.jpg 40th_Esky_2.jpg 40th_Esky_3.jpg

Have a look in the corners, see those red cans and yellow cans hiding under the ice....untouched! Looks like the FIL's fridge will be well stocked with leftovers :lol:

Had to share this revelation with the AHB community, it this genises the beginning of a new acceptance of homebrew??? Have any others experienced this lately? would like to think this is the future of homebrew due to improvements in quality fostered by sites like AHB :super:

Screwy

I find most people are happy to drink my home brew, some are just too polite to drink it all night as they feel bad about it ( I'm drinking all your beer ). This does not worry me but seems to worry them some what, very few now bring any mega swills with them but tend to bring JS etc. It's a nice transaction.

Batz

Yep, have that happen often when the fam & friends are over. So much so I don't even bother to buy commercial anymore, it's slowly happening.

pinky_brain.jpg

Glad your beers were the hit on the day. I find most people are eager to try a homebrew. If it's good brew they are hooked, you can't go back to the megaswill.

QldKev

I find people bring their own beer, drink all my homebrew, and leave their VB/Carlton Dry/whatever behind.

Keeps the snail traps full.

Glad your beers were the hit on the day. I find most people are eager to try a homebrew. If it's good brew they are hooked, you can't go back to the megaswill.

QldKev

Mine have gotten to the point where friends/family are now asking for lessons and or if I can brew some for them, one even asked how much to "rent space" in my brewery.....

Does give one a warm and fuzzy feeling, or is that just the Smoked Imperial Stout I've been swilling of late? :chug:

Your big yellow Techni reminds me of mine, except for the fonts on top, it was put together for the Bitter and Twisted beer festival here last year.B_T.jpg

At B&T we got through eleven 50 Litre kegs in two days, people payed money and lined up at our stand to drink Home Brew.

Dam straight times are changing and it's good to see home brew being viewed as a quality product rather than cheap piss.

MHB

Good work Screwy, on the beer production skills but also on the ability to be an older chap and it not be obvious on an Internet forum. Most people I know your age would dead set struggle to check their emails.

Come mega-swill drinkers throughout the land
And don't criticise what you can't understand
For we who homebrew have beer on demand
And our drinking time is worth savouring
Please pour me another if you won't lend a hand
For the time's they are a changin'

I'm sure I could do something with the 'senators and congressman' line around excise but I should really get back to the document I'm supposed to be writing...

Mostly people have stopped bringing beer to my house, unless its something interesting.

Another friend commented that they felt bad drinking it, or expecting me to bring beer when I came to their place, but I soon set them straight. As others have said more drinking by others = more brewing. I'd like more assistance most of the time...

Good work Screwy, on the beer production skills but also on the ability to be an older chap and it not be obvious on an Internet forum. Most people I know your age would dead set struggle to check their emails.

Haha, too true my parents struggle BIG time on the computer and they're in their mid-fifties!

MHB said:
At B&T we got through eleven 50 Litre kegs in two days, people payed money and lined up at our stand to drink Home Brew.

Yep, and I was certainly one of those people. Thanks Mark! Looking forward to doing the same again next time.

Screwtop said:
Not one bloody can of commercial brew was touched, that made me kinda proud, and happy, I can get to brewing again.

Screwy, maybe they didn't know they were there under the ice?? Just jokes, I'm sure it was the quality brew you had on tap that was irresistable. I know I have the same "problem" when people come to visit. They're keen to get stuck into the latest batch of homebrew.

Well done on the mass conversion!

Never thought I'd see the day!!!!!!!!!!!!! Held a shindie for our 40th Wedding Anniversary a couple of weeks back, 60 odd family and friends consisting of the usual beer and cider drinkers in attendance. And special guest......managed to locate the priest who married us all those years ago, great bloke.

As usual for parties I never expect others to drink my homebrew and provide some commercial stuff. A block of Carlton Mid and Fourex Gold went into the esky along with soft drinks and ice. Guests were invited to help themselves to drinks either commercial from the esky or the draft taps down in the shed/brewery. After a fantastic day nearly 3 kegs of beer were emptied plus half a keg of cider, they sucked on my taps from midday until 11pm. Even Father Harold chose homebrew and enjoyed my Choc Treacle Stout, he had a couple as did most of the uncles and aunts. The younger ones got stuck into it, but no one got blithering drunk or agressive, big thumbs up to homebrew.

Cleaning up next morning I opened the esky to see what was left and Wow! Shock! Not one bloody can of commercial brew was touched, that made me kinda proud, and happy, I can get to brewing again.

View attachment 39368 View attachment 39369 View attachment 39370

Have a look in the corners, see those red cans and yellow cans hiding under the ice....untouched! Looks like the FIL's fridge will be well stocked with leftovers :lol:

Had to share this revelation with the AHB community, it this genises the beginning of a new acceptance of homebrew??? Have any others experienced this lately? would like to think this is the future of homebrew due to improvements in quality fostered by sites like AHB :super:

Screwy
Come on Screwy fes up mate , you hid all the can stuff just so you could drink it all yourself. :lol:
GB

Well done Screwy but it's what I would have expected considering what flows from your taps. :icon_cheers:

Good work screwy a testament to your brewing skillz also. Congrats on all accounts. :beer:

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back for my sons first birthday. Had a few mates and relos getting into the homebrews At first I thought it was just for the novelty effect of pouring ones own beer from the new kegerator, but I was quickly assured that they loved the beers and went back for more. Was pleasantly surprised even the chocolaty, roasty, dark fruit flavoured Baltic Porter was a fav.

Mates dont feel bad about drinking all my beer thats cause their a pack of bastards its their better halves that feel guilty even suggested I should put a tip jar in place. Nah Im happy to supply mates with grog for a good time. Beats gouing to their place, not drinking, then having to drive home.

Lost 2 1/2 kegs that day not bad for children's party. Still dining out on that one telling the mrs I need to brew just to recover stocks. Got 5 full kegs now and 2 cubes lagering. One more double batch this weekend and I might be back to status quo. :ph34r:

Great story Screwy. Similar happens here in Tassie. Went to the fridge last night and found 3 Boags Draught and 3 TEDs. Now I haven't bought a commercial type beer for around 6 months, but have had a few mates around over the weekend. All were happily drinking from the taps. Gonna have to tell them not to bother bringing it into the house. I wouldn't mind a hand on brewdays mind you - but I normally brew during the week as I work rotating shifts.
As a side note, even my 2 daughters of legal drinking age would rather my home brews - although it may be because its free. And my 16 year old daughter is my official tester, she has a good taste for a lager/ bitter ale style beer.
Cheers
David

Come mega-swill drinkers throughout the land
And don't criticise what you can't understand
For we who homebrew have beer on demand
And our drinking time is worth savouring
Please pour me another if you won't lend a hand
For the time's they are a changin'

Well done Ben, another song for Swap Meets :super:

Glad to see that others are experiencing the same acceptance of HB.

Screwy

Good for you Screwy, but it's no surprise really, when you serve as good a beer as you do.
Although you'd think your guests would have the decency to take their undrink beer home with them <_<

:lol: Older Chap and internet savvy :lol: , love it.

Cheers
Andrew

Well done Screwy but it's what I would have expected considering what flows from your taps. :icon_cheers:

+1

PS: you can give the commercials to Chap Chap :ph34r:

had my parents anniversary a while back. had a couple decent brews on tap, forget what ones, but there were more than a few congregating around the keg fridge and certainly changed everyone's perceptions about homebrew (or AG homebrew at least).

Latest posts

Back