the secret to better beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow.

I think secrets (in order):
1. Be stupidly pedantic about clean brewing equipment and sterilising like a Nazi (take that how you will)
2. Consistent temperature - and at the right temperature for the yeast - ideally through temperature control
3. Healthy amounts of good quality, viable yeast
4. Quality ingredients are king. Simplify recipes, don't complicate them. Complicate them if you've brewed 30 times and have your systems down pat.

Having said that, a Coopers tin to 23L with chili and lime, and also dry hopped, might not be the greatest idea. If you want to add extra flavours to beer, extracts (i.e. pre-made fruit extracts) are probably the best way to do this when starting, and add maybe at the end of primary fermentation or in secondary (since you have it).

Did you add any extra malt or malt extract? May be thin if it's just the kit, sugar, and then you are throwing fairly strong hops in as well. So maybe avoid dry hopping with such a hop until you reinforce the malt you have... and stay out of the Hops forum.

For a Coopers kit, try a teabag (e.g. Morgans brand) of Goldings, and go from there.

EDIT: just clarified the 'extracts'...

Adr_0 said:
Did you add any extra malt or malt extract? May be thin if it's just the kit, sugar, and then you are throwing fairly strong hops in as well. So maybe avoid dry hopping with such a hop until you reinforce the malt you have... and stay out of the Hops forum.

For a Coopers kit, try a teabag (e.g. Morgans brand) of Goldings, and go from there.
I agree with your steps.

In this case though the OP is partial and full mash as opposed to KK.

mhay said:
Thanks for advice.

Unless it's hot (30+ For a few days) I don't use temperature control, Probably should. Do you control the temperature while in secondary? I tried chilling before bottling once with fairly good results.

A typical brew these days is a coopers tin made to 23l, Adjuncts (last partial was coopers cerveza with chillie and limes) dry hop (Usually 1g per litre), flowers if possible for least 4 Days no hop bag and filter them out while transferring for bulk priming.

Tasted tonight from fermeter , Sooo Bitter

manticle said:
I agree with your steps.

In this case though the OP is partial and full mash as opposed to KK.
Yeah I thought so too but... I'm confused hey. :huh: :(

But, partial/full... efficiency at 40% then?

manticle said:
Now I am as well.
Meanwhile, I think it's a fascinating social experiment to see the ideas people come up with without a clear base case. :)

anthonyUK said:
Add to the above water chemistry and pitching the correct amount of healthy yeast.
Ignore the first 7 words of this sentence.

I've seen a number of decent beers ruined by people "attempting" water chemistry.

If it's good to drink from your water tap, it's good to drink from your beer tap.

WarmBeer said:
Ignore the first 7 words of this sentence.

I've seen a number of decent beers ruined by people "attempting" water chemistry.

If it's good to drink from your water tap, it's good to drink from your beer tap.
Liked by about a million twentyfoursedsies.

Quite confused also?

I went fairly light on hops for the chillie beer, Was just experimenting with tastes using flamed chillies was kinda smoky, wasn't as strange as the blonde I made that I bottle primed with lollies.

Chilli and line sounds good

Water chemistry won't really help kits.

There is enough yeast in a kit packet

mhay said:
Quite confused also?

I went fairly light on hops for the chillie beer, Was just experimenting with tastes using flamed chillies was kinda smoky, wasn't as strange as the blonde I made that I bottle primed with lollies.
OK, please answer these two questions:

How do you primarily make beer: Kit and Kilo, partial mash, full mash?

and

What is specifically wrong with the beer you are making at the moment, such that you would want it to be better?

Mhay, you don't mention your water conditions or any adjustments you make to that water. That could easily be a factor in the taste you encounter. Is the water too alkaline?, too mineralized?, doesn't have enough minerals?, etc. Finding out what is in your water is the first step in evaluating if anything should be done to your water to help your brewing out.

And take the recommendations of warmbeer with caution. Water taste has only minor bearing on how it will perform in brewing. A water source can have high alkalinity and take just fine. But it won't make beer that is worth a sh*t. You won't know until you find out what your water has in it. Then you can figure out if there is anything you should be doing to the water. Don't just add minerals without knowing if they are needed or desirable.

It may just be my eastern states tastes but I always found Perth water not to my taste and drank bottled water whenever I was over there, dunno what it was just didn't sit well… perhaps that's why I've never gone much on LC beers.. Oddly though, can't get enough Feral..

"could" be something feral do to water that LC do not? (pure speculation)

Latest posts

Back