The RDWHAHB (brewing anxiety) thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smelling of the fermenter. Worried about off smells. Trying to smell through the co2 can sometimes require multiple deep breaths. My wife worries I will pass out in the fermenter fridge one day.

TheWiggman said:
Maybe just leave one bottle aside in a special insulated area to see how much it would have actually carbed up in the long run? At least that's what I'd do, to get a gauge on the possible outcome.
Burping bottles... yes that would certainly get my anxiety up.
I'm thinking of making a bottle cage using 90mm PVC pipe and end caps as per pix below. Due to reported possible gushing bottles / bottle bombs amongst case swap beers, I had previously gotten some 90mm PVC pipe cut into lengths long enough to surround and isolate the suspect bottles in my stash of case swap beers.

The idea of the bottle cage is to contain a suspect bottle to put into a fridge to cool before opening in safety.

An appropriate length of pipe is cut, an end cap firmly attached to the bottom with gaf tape (or PVC glue), and the top cap held in place by strong rubber bands. A slot is cut near the top so a bottle opener can get at the bottle cap to open - a cover maybe with a hinge covers the slot.

Wonder if an exploding bottle can send glass shards through the PVC pipe walls :huh:

[zoom]

jyo said:
and wonder whether the neighbours playing One Direction and Taylor Swift is going to have a negative impact on the final product of my beer.
I would definitely worry about that... and its impact on me enjoying my beer later when it's ready....

Ah,I thought it was relax, dude,..., have a home brew.

I've made beer with smugwort before. Hey, it's a valid ingredient!

Dam! That cup of hops was supposed to go in the kettle at flame out. Not now at 50degc. Five minutes later and there is hops floating around on top. Dam! maybe I should have just left them out.

Kinda brewing related but need to RDWHAHB after misplacing 4000 litres from the rainwater tank. Now will have to water the hops and tomatoes from the mains until we get more rain. Hmmm. Maybe this belongs in FWPs thread.

Back