The Perfect Bundaberg Ginger Beer Clone!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
I hope the title got you interested enough to have a read. The only problem is, I haven't done it yet.... and since I'm currently brewing a ginger beer and have to put a few more beer batches down for my upcoming batchelor party, I won't get around to tryingn it for a little while, so here's where you come in!

I will give you the recipe for the perfect Bundaberg Ginger Beer Clone (Alcoholic) and you can tell me how it went!

Go to Coles (haha, I just noticed this.... err... your local supermarket) and buy "Bundaberg Ginger Beer Cordial" it tastes EXACTLY like Bundy Ginger Beer. In fact, don't bother buying bundy ginger beer bottles anymore, just a heap of homebrand soda water and some of that cordial, it's PERFECT.

It mixes one part cordial to four parts water and has 60g of sugar per 100mLs of cordial. So for a 22.5 Litre batch of alcoholic Ginger Beer, you pour in 4.5L of Bundaberg Ginger Beer Cordial (it comes in 750mL bottles, so you will need 6). This gives you at least 2.7Kg of sugar (any workarounds you can come up with? Maybe try the DIET cordial? I don't know what it tastes like, that's all.) so you will need quite a bit of yeast.

My suggestion is a champagne yeast, and maybe some nutrient? Maybe a few packets of yeast? Even a "turbo" yeast????

It's gonna be some LETHAL ginger beer!!!

So there you go, fill 'er up with water and pitch your yeast and let it ferment.

When it's finished, the yeast will have fermented all the sweetness out of it (IMO this will probably make it taste better, I love a dry, hard ginger beer). But you can always add lactose OR if you're into kegging, add 2.7(!!!!!!) kilos of sugar, and SOMEHOW manage to stir it in then keg it and keep it cool to stop the yeast from fermenting it.

So there you go, PERFECT bundaberg ginger beer, with probably something like 13%abv (looking at that, yeah u'll probably need a turbo yeast).

As I've said, I haven't tried it, so please if you do try it, let me know how it goes. Also, please add your comments regarding sweetening the beer and/or getting the sugar level down at pitching time (what does diet bundaberg taste like?).

FYI:
Serving Size 250mls

Avg per 250mL - 50mL cordial plus 200mL Water

Energy - 521kJ
Protein - < 1g
Fat - < 1g
Carbohydrate
----->total - 31.5g
----->sugar - 31.5g
Sodium - 19mg

Ingredients: cane sugar, water, ginger root, natural flavours, acid (citric acid), yeast, preservative (sodium benzoate), antioxidant (ascorbic acid).
Serving Size 250mls

Energy - 18kJ
Protein - < 1g
Fat - < 1g
Carbohydrate
----->total - 1.2g
----->sugar - 1.2g
Sodium - 24mg

Ingredients: water, cane sugar, ginger root, natural flavours, yeast, maliac acid, preservative (sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose) antioxidant (ascorbic acid), stabilizers (xanthan gum, guar gum).Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine

Don't use turbo yeast in something that isn't distilled, it tastes like crap

I think the benzoate/sorbate might present a bit of a problem for yeast

What's benzoate/sorbate? and how did it get in my brew!

bloody kids, get off my lawn!

I have used the cordial in my bulk priming

did not effect the carbonation

I hope the title got you interested enough to have a read. The only problem is, I haven't done it yet.... and since I'm currently brewing a ginger beer and have to put a few more beer batches down for my upcoming batchelor party, I won't get around to tryingn it for a little while, so here's where you come in!

I will give you the recipe for the perfect Bundaberg Ginger Beer Clone (Alcoholic) and you can tell me how it went!

Go to Coles (haha, I just noticed this.... err... your local supermarket) and buy "Bundaberg Ginger Beer Cordial" it tastes EXACTLY like Bundy Ginger Beer. In fact, don't bother buying bundy ginger beer bottles anymore, just a heap of homebrand soda water and some of that cordial, it's PERFECT.

It mixes one part cordial to four parts water and has 60g of sugar per 100mLs of cordial. So for a 22.5 Litre batch of alcoholic Ginger Beer, you pour in 4.5L of Bundaberg Ginger Beer Cordial (it comes in 750mL bottles, so you will need 6). This gives you at least 2.7Kg of sugar (any workarounds you can come up with? Maybe try the DIET cordial? I don't know what it tastes like, that's all.) so you will need quite a bit of yeast.

My suggestion is a champagne yeast, and maybe some nutrient? Maybe a few packets of yeast? Even

a "turbo" yeast????

hi, this seems complex, or i am still half asleep.

could you simplify the recipes as to quantities,
it sounds interesting and i would like to try the recipes.

cheers , alan

It's gonna be some LETHAL ginger beer!!!
So there you go, fill 'er up with water and pitch your yeast and let it ferment.

When it's finished, the yeast will have fermented all the sweetness out of it (IMO this will probably make it taste better, I love a dry, hard ginger beer). But you can always add lactose OR if you're into kegging, add 2.7(!!!!!!) kilos of sugar, and SOMEHOW manage to stir it in then keg it and keep it cool to stop the yeast from fermenting it.
So there you go, PERFECT bundaberg ginger beer, with probably something like 13%abv (looking at that, yeah u'll probably need a turbo yeast).

As I've said, I haven't tried it, so please if you do try it, let me know how it goes. Also, please add your comments regarding sweetening the beer and/or getting the sugar level down at pitching time (what does diet bundaberg taste like?).
FYI:
Serving Size 250mls

Energy - 521kJ
Protein - < 1g
Fat - < 1g
Carbohydrate
----->total - 31.5g
----->sugar - 31.5g
Sodium - 19mg

Ingredients: cane sugar, water, ginger root, natural flavours, acid (citric acid), yeast, preservative (sodium benzoate), antioxidant (ascorbic acid).
Serving Size 250mls

Energy - 18kJ
Protein - < 1g
Fat - < 1g
Carbohydrate
----->total - 1.2g
----->sugar - 1.2g
Sodium - 24mg

Ingredients: water, cane sugar, ginger root, natural flavours, yeast, maliac acid, preservative (sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose) antioxidant (ascorbic acid), stabilizers (xanthan gum, guar gum).Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine

hi, this seems complex, or i am still half asleep.

could you simplify the recipes as to quantities,
it sounds interesting and i would like to try the recipes.

cheers , alan

Hi Alan, short answer - fill your fermenter with 6 x 750mL bottles of Bundaberg Ginger Beer Cordial and water (up to 23L) at around 25 degrees.

Add teh yeast and let it ferment until SG drops to between 1.000 and 1.009

Then you bottle as normal with the optional addition of some sweeteners.

I know what you're saying now, preservatives.

My current ginger beer has one bottle of cordial in it and it's severely inhibiting the fermentation. So 6 bottles are a no-no.

Workarounds? Maybe ferment some coopers be2 and yeast then add cordial at keggin time? bottlers are stuffed...

People use apple juice to make cider that contains preservatives. It works no problems.

My suggestion is to take an SG test to see if it has dropped since you pitched the yeast. If it has, let it go. If not, pitch another yeast.

People use apple juice to make cider that contains preservatives. It works no problems.

My suggestion is to take an SG test to see if it has dropped since you pitched the yeast. If it has, let it go. If not, pitch another yeast.

I always thought it was stressed that if you were going to use bottled juice for apple cider, that you found a preservative free no additive type one.

I have one going at the moment, It only has about 200ml of the cordial in it though.. can smell it very clearly though. It has only been in the fermenter for about 24 hours, and fermentation took off within 3 hours, its sitting on about 21c.

S401000111.JPG

Ingredients were -

1 Coopers ginger beer kit
500gm raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
200ml bundaberg gb cordial
12L water
Safale US-56 yeast

From the picture, it looks like it is going fine and smells quite good too.. Just have to home the preservative in the cordial doesn't kill the yeast.

preservatived apple juice destroyed one of my ciders. I now only use preservative free juice

If anyone gets a chance to try this, let me know.

My recommendation, get LOTS of yeast as it probably won't multiply in this environment.

Do a google search for TURBO cider. Preservatives in juice wont stop fermentation, granted, they may not help it out but with some yeast nutrient you can overcome it.

As always, fresh is better but 15L of fresh juice isnt exactly cheap.

Righto, sit down grandpa, stop shouting at the TV.

In answer: I would if I didn't have 23L of brew in my fermenter right now. Please excuse me, I thought this was somewhere I could draw on others' experiences, my mistake.

I don't like the sounds of this recipe. All you're doing is trying to ferment the sugar in a cordial. "Backlane Brewery" did a few experimental brews using Coke, Passiona etc. and I think Seth had a crack too. All turned out pretty average at best.

I doubt it's "The Perfect Bundaberg Ginger Beer Clone" too, being dry and not sweet; you'd be better off using a kit designed for brewing purposes IMO.

I've brewed a ripper GB (thanks Doc!) but it tastes nothing like Bundaberg and I believe anything fermented to produce a reasonable alcohol level will yield a result vastly different to the non-alcoholic BBGB.

Did this up the other month:

Coopers GB can
1 KG CSR Raw Sugar
500g Coopers Brewing Sugar (leftovers - only reason added)
1 sml Lemon (juiced)
1.5L Bundaberg GB cordial

25 days in the bottle now and tastes pretty good, first one I made.
It somehow carbonated slightly in the fermentor though, and then went nuts when I added the drops to each bottle, extremely over carbonated but still very nice ginger beer.

Had no troubles with fermentation that I noticed, should have gone lower maybe but did enough!

It somehow carbonated slightly in the fermentor though, and then went nuts when I added the drops to each bottle, extremely over carbonated but still very nice ginger beer.

Try adding the drops to the bottle before filling, it'll stop the problem you describe.

Try adding the drops to the bottle before filling, it'll stop the problem you describe.

Maybe I worded that bad, when I tasted it doing the SG reading it seemed slightly carbonated, then it went nuts when I bottled it - onto the drops. :)
I probably should have realised and changed it to one drop per bottle, oh well. Bloody nice though.

Back