The Nine Dollar Pint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
Went to a well know Perth micro in the Swan Valley today for a feed and a few beers and was quite suprised to see Pints are $9.00.Geez i obviously havent got out and about if this is the norm so am wondering what the rest of OZ pays at the micros for a pint.
Mind you the beer was the grouse x 3 styles tried/ the feed sensational and service was great with the staff very happy and helpful even the Chef willing to take advice as to how to make that steak served that little bit extra special.
10/10 to Feral
Dam there goes my hidden critique

Cheers
Big D

Holy Powers of CRAP $9. I could make 30 schooys of Premium All Grain Lager for that.

Although it's been a looooong while since I was up that way, I recall that a pint at Grumpy's was pricey to say the least....somewhere up around the $8ish a pint.......
Too rich for my wallet...

Pot of Crafty around these parts about $5, think a pint of Newky Brown was about $8.00 last time I was at the Penny Farthing.

And there we were only a few years ago (Or so it seems???) boycotting the local pub when megaswill went up from 14 cents to 16 cents a pot. :ph34r:

TP :beer:

And there we were only a few years ago (Or so it seems???) boycotting the local pub when megaswill went up from 14 cents to 16 cents a pot. :ph34r:

TP :beer:

Megaswill's still not worth 16 cents a pot

IIRC I got nailed for $9 for a can of carlton draught (only beer they had or VB :icon_vomit: ) at Homebaked this year. $9 for a pint of craft brewed beer sounds pretty good by comparison.

Needless to say I didn't drink much...

Most places in Perth are $7 for a stubbie of LCPA, but then they charge the same for Crownies and Corona. $$ weel spent me thinks, but yeah...I don't get out much.

$ 9 per pint??
cheap as..I have drunk wine at 100 and more times than that (not by the pint thankfully)...

Seems alright - I just stayed in Melbourne for a week and the cheapest I saw anywhere was $8, and that was for Erdinger Hefe of all things - tasty stuff! Another place I went to was $8.20 a pint, no matter if it was LCPA or Carlton Draught. Weird.

On a recent trip to Perth, I sampled some micros on tap at different outlets.

The price varied from $8 to $9, with most in the $8.50 slot.

I must say that the beer I tried from your mentioned(?) brewery was the best and sold for $8.50.

Still, I'd pay more to drink it fresh at the source.

WJ

It's quite weird this whole cost of a pint subject. Living and working in sydney i obviously have to pay the best of it. But a pub just near my office sells crackenback for $5 pints. Thats the normal price for a schooner of swill. It's all give and take i think. If you're happy to pay whats charged for the enjoyment of the beer and locale at that particular time. Then thats what it's worth.
$0.02

Went to a well know Perth micro in the Swan Valley today for a feed and a few beers and was quite suprised to see Pints are $9.00.Geez i obviously havent got out and about if this is the norm so am wondering what the rest of OZ pays at the micros for a pint.
Pretty standard sort of price these days unfortunately BigD except I think LC is about $8! or was last time I went.

Welcome to my world. When I arrived in Tokyo seven years ago pints were 900 to 1000 yen: about A$14 at the time. Today they are still 900 to 1000 yen, but that is now basically $9 to $10. Yep, every pint is ten bucks. You get used to it. At least we don't have the inflation you fellas have. Soon craft beers here will be cheap compared to yours. (softdrinks already are!)

To use a rather coarse analogy... It's a bit like going out to a brothel knowing full well you've got the goods at home. Just my two bob's worth. To me justifying paying nearly 10 bucks for a pint of beer I'd want to know it's particularly good. B)

Warren -

To use a rather coarse analogy... It's a bit like going out to a brothel knowing full well you've got the goods at home. Just my two bob's worth. To me justifying paying nearly 10 bucks for a pint of beer I'd want to know it's particularly good. B)

Warren -

That the thing though, you might hand over your $9 and taste heavenly nectar, but what if if its average or plain? the goods at home are of substance..

Yeah from memory Grumpys are upwards of $8 a pint. We still buy them but it's more of a special occasion thing to have a session there at that price unfortunately. Although I do think it's worth it, specially with their pizza! And in this day and age it doesn't seem that unfair either.

think of it as a $2 donation to the aussie craft brew industry. if we don't pay it when we do get out it will be new, vb, draught or light. not real appealing.

Latest posts

Back