The Nine Dollar Pint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more than willing to pay for a good product.

Rather than whinging about the price though, why not do something about it? Write to your local MP about excise tax!

The least you'll get is a scripted response, but the more people that do this the more likely it is that something will happen. It's all very well for the microbrewery industry to continue shouting on its own, but without the support of drinkers nothing will ever happen.

AAhh what advice did i give the chef. ;)
Well after enjoying a few varieties of beers at said price the advice given and well recieved was to serve the steak with some salad rather than on a bed of mash with some scattered mushies.Nothing wrong with that mind you but i did feel it could be dressed up a wee bit more.

Cheers
Big D

And i forgot to mention that the $9-00 pint will soon be cheap if the news tonight of the increasing diesel prices do affect food prices via freight/producing costs etc.Its becoming a vicious cycle.

Cheers
Big D

Rather than whinging about the price though, why not do something about it? Write to your local MP about excise tax!

Kook,

Assuming a 600ml pint served from a 50lt keg at 5% ABV the excise is $0.64, even a halving of excise (he laughs) isn't going to make much difference to a $9 pint. The price would have a lot more to do with the venue, service (and marketing and hype...) and what "the great unwashed" are willing to pay I reckon.

Cheers, Andrew.

But a drop in excise tax will increase opportunities for smaller breweries to flourish. More competition has the potential to lower prices.

Bloody hell, I got slugged nearly $6 for a 425ml "pint" of Coopers Pale Ale today. That would be equivalent to paying $8 for an actual (UK) pint.
First problem: It really $hits me that pubs here in SA are allowed to call a 425ml glass of beer a 'pint'. I thought a pint was a unit of measurement, like a litre or a gallon. What if service stations decided to call 700ml of petrol a 'litre'? (Don't get me started on the apparent shift to 330ml stubbies instead of 375ml)
Second problem: I wouldn't mind so much paying that price for a craft-brewed beer but Pale Ale is mass-produced just like Tooheys New or VB (even though IMO it's a nicer beer).
Third problem: The reason I'm now buying Pale is because this pub used to have a range of James Squires beers on ta p(Amber, Golden, Pils AND Porter!) but pulled these beers and replaced them with the likes of VB, Guiness and Pure Blond!
Time to find a new weekly lunch haunt I think.....

I don't think its any secret that there is an element in the community (including homebrewers) that is somewhat careful with their money, for a variety of reasons. Ultimately the market will determine the beers that are sustainable in Australia and those that aren't. I recently spent an evening with kook out at Feral, and was impressed with their own variations on classic styles and their dabbling in Belgian styles. I suspect the price point of these beers reflects the extra ingredients, location, smaller batch sizes etc. required to produce the beer vs your average batch of Tooheys. I would be very surprised to learn that Feral was turning away customers at the door, so could charge whatever they liked - certainly this was not the case the Saturday evening I visited. Commercial viability must be priority #1.

An example - The Murray's 2IPA is probably my favourite Australian produced bottled beer. I have seen a few posts on AHB from people baulking at the $16/750ml price tag. Fair enough this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but hopefully there are enough people willing to pay for this superb beer lest Murrays start to gravitate towards CUB territory out of commercial necessity.

I guess now I should raise the cry "support the micros!". Not at all. Drink what you want to drink, at the price you want to drink it. Boycott whomever you beleive is giving you the roger. But please don't complain when there's only VB and XXXX on tap at every pub in the nation.

$6 for a pint sounds about right bigh.

A schooner in sa in 250ml (285ml glass) of beer and a pint is 375ml (425ml glass).

Price for pint is schooner price multiplied by 1.5 as it has one and a half times more beer in it.

It it were a pommy pint it would be $8, it it was a schooner $4, a jug $16.

Bloody hell, I got slugged nearly $6 for a 425ml "pint" of Coopers Pale Ale today. That would be equivalent to paying $8 for an actual (UK) pint.
First problem: It really $hits me that pubs here in SA are allowed to call a 425ml glass of beer a 'pint'. I thought a pint was a unit of measurement, like a litre or a gallon. What if service stations decided to call 700ml of petrol a 'litre'? (Don't get me started on the apparent shift to 330ml stubbies instead of 375ml)
Second problem: I wouldn't mind so much paying that price for a craft-brewed beer but Pale Ale is mass-produced just like Tooheys New or VB (even though IMO it's a nicer beer).
Third problem: The reason I'm now buying Pale is because this pub used to have a range of James Squires beers on ta p(Amber, Golden, Pils AND Porter!) but pulled these beers and replaced them with the likes of VB, Guiness and Pure Blond!
Time to find a new weekly lunch haunt I think.....

For a price comparative, how much did same pub charge for the megaswill ?

Latest posts

Back