The Nine Dollar Pint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id like to support the micro breweries but they're charging $65- $70 for a carton from them. For $70 I can buy 2 cartons of Coopers Pale.

Im not sure of the costs involved but if its possible for them to put out cartons for about $45 or $50 I'll buy a few.

even the Chef willing to take advice as to how to make that steak served that little bit extra special.

Cheers
Big D

I just like the fact that you told the chef how to cook. Chef's love that.. I mean, they just looooveee :wub: that
729_knife_through_head.gif

Out of curiosity, which cut of meat did you order, how did you ask it be cooked, and what's your "advice" that takes a steak from a 9 to a 10 (makes it that little bit extra special, in your words)? If your pint was $9, how much was your steak?

reVox

Id like to support the micro breweries but they're charging $65- $70 for a carton from them. For $70 I can buy 2 cartons of Coopers Pale.
Im not sure of the costs involved but if its possible for them to put out cartons for about $45 or $50 I'll buy a few.

From what I have seen, it was $7.50 for a pint of Mountain Goat at Young & Jacksons, & $4.60 for a pot of the same at the Warrnambool Hotel. We are yet to set a price , but I have been arguing for the same price as the mega-swill, so around $3.60 - $3.80 per pot.

It is way too expensive to buy a carton of a micro's best in stubbies. Even the micro's know that. Around $22 - $25 for a 6pack is all I would pay. I am in the process of rebuilding a 4 head counter-pressure filler that will be able to fill both 640ml & 330ml bottles. I don't want to do 330mls but boss doesn't reckon we should do 640ml, so we will do both. The most expensive component is the labour. We will need one guy filling, while one guy rinses bottles & fits crowns. IF we made the big step to get something a bit more user friendly we would be trying to get a bit of money back to cover the investment, so that won't result in cheaper slabs either. 330ml bottles, I reckon we will sell a few 6 packs, but if someone wants a carton I will open the door for the guy & carry it to his car.

Cheers
Gerard

A little off topic, but it reminded me of this place... Gaucho's

Check out the prices of the reserve list of steaks

:eek:

Porterhouse
400g, off bone, Cargill Meats MB2+, grain-fed 100 days, aged 8 weeks, source Wagga N.S.W. $37.50

Jesus, I could buy a whole Porterhouse side for $80.
That's around 15 steaks cut as thick as your fist. Make a fist and look at it. Yep, 15 that thick.

reVox

Mrs Parmas in Melbourne stocks micrco brew on tap and all are about $9 or 10 a pint. bloody expensive IMO. but then again a pint of Guinness is generally about $6.50/7, so its only $2 more, but it adds up and hurts the wallet.

EDIT:

Porterhouse
400g, off bone, “Cargill Meats MB2+”, grain-fed 100 days, aged 8 weeks, source Wagga N.S.W. $37.50

Jesus, I could buy a whole Porterhouse side for $80.
That's around 15 steaks cut as thick as your fist. Make a fist and look at it. Yep, 15 that thick.

reVox
Yeah thats bloody expensive. The old man just bought a full lamb off his butcher for $80. a fulll lamb and is was bloody supurb quality. melt in your mouth. it fed about 20 poeple. its unreal what some people try and charge. The local butcher tried to charge me $25 per kilo for greek marintaed lamb the other day. I told him to shove it and I'd spend and extra 20min travelling and go see my old man's butcher.

Gaucho's is the best steak you'll ever eat. Its worth every cent.

Its pretty usual about $9 per pint for anything decent. I remember 5 years ago I could buy $7 jugs of megaswill at my uni tavern on thursdays. Now you pay that for a pint...

One of the things thats making me want to live in Europe for a few years. Remembering paying 5 euro for a litre of beer served from a wooden barrel in Salzberg... ^_^

ahh the uni night. I remember buying $9 jugs of megaswill and $15 jugs of spirits (magaswill generic no name spirits), or $10 all your could drink VB at the old Bobby Magee's. ahh the good old megaswill/hang over days.

The hell with $37.50 for a steak, or even $80 for a lamb...I'll just rock out to the farm in the Valiant and take down a 'roo or two with the Remington! Seriously though, my brother and his share house buddies have been doing that for a while now...beautiful meat as well - should try it sometime if you haven't already.

As for the micro brews, I can't say I've ever had one :( I think our local favourite bottleo stocks one or two though, as well as some other 'non-standard' beers. Might have to get busy methinks...

The pint issue in my opinion is a bit moot - if I want one I'll go down on a Wednesday night to a local haunt and get their $9 Pint & Burger deal - burger with the lot + chips + pint of swill for $9. I'm not gonna aruge with that, especially seing as the burger is pretty good :D

God I need to find a good micro near me...

The hell with $37.50 for a steak, or even $80 for a lamb...I'll just rock out to the farm in the Valiant and take down a 'roo or two with the Remington! Seriously though, my brother and his share house buddies have been doing that for a while now...beautiful meat as well - should try it sometime if you haven't already.

:icon_vomit:

Used to shoot the odd roo for pet food to make some cash when I was a younger fella, with the amount of worms I've seen in them, I'll pay for the $80 lamb... <_<

Years ago, the only difference between human consumption roos, and pet food roos was where you had to dock the leg, what offal you left or didn't and where you hung it on your rack. Same roos, same diseases, same worms...

I can't remember how much the pints cost at Potters Brewery. That's due to the fact that Keith and friends were buying schooners. I recall that $9 was nowhere near the right price though.

The beer on tap was the regular Potters range and the Oyster Stout (which we were drinking) before Thirstywench and myself hit the pints.

Good value for money. :D

Years ago, the only difference between human consumption roos, and pet food roos was where you had to dock the leg, what offal you left or didn't and where you hung it on your rack. Same roos, same diseases, same worms...

Yeah? Huh...must be the premium feed they're getting from our oat crop that's keeping them healthy <_<

Mind you the beer was the grouse x 3 styles tried/ the feed sensational and service was great with the staff very happy and helpful even the Chef willing to take advice as to how to make that steak served that little bit extra special.
10/10 to Feral
Cheers
Big D

I get my micro beer with a T-bone or a schnitz at the Toxteth in Glebe, Sydney. T-Bone and a schooner of Matilda Bay Alpha - very nice meat & excellent beer for $15 on a Tuesday or same beer with Chicken or veal Schnitz for $10. Considering the beer is $6.20 on its own, makes for s bargain meal and beer! :p

I also remember when the front page of all sydney papers read The $2 schooner! Outrageous - megaswill for 2 bucks! It jumped 15c in one hit! I was a studnet and it hurt :lol:

I was paying $9.50 for a pint of JS Golden ale at the Melboure Airport Hilton last month... bloody nice drop, but...

I'd never pay $9 for a pint. I'd rather drink megaswill (can't believe I just said that). However, I would pay $9 for a little self indulgent Belgian!

The Wig & Pen in Canberra charges $7.00 for a pint, $5.50 for a schooner and $4 for a middy for their exceptional bevvies and I think they're expensive but worth it for the most part.......will keep an eye out for pricing in Sydney at the Pub crawl.

I can't remember how much the pints cost at Potters Brewery. That's due to the fact that Keith and friends were buying schooners. I recall that $9 was nowhere near the right price though.

The beer on tap was the regular Potters range and the Oyster Stout (which we were drinking) before Thirstywench and myself hit the pints.

Good value for money. :D

$4.50 a schooner (425ml) last time i was up there.
I also have had my potters 1000ml stein filled for $10.50

I was a happy camper that day.....

Josh

I found it tough coming back to OZ and forking out $8 for a pint after visiting Prague where I was paying about $2 for a pint of the worlds finest.

Latest posts

Back