The New Unique Australian Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is interesting to note that probably the foremost influential beer producer/brewer this country has ever had has just opened himself another brewery - White Rabbit, you would think that the beer coming out of there by a damn fine (and good looking brewer) would be working along the lines of being "uniquely Australian"

I havent tried the beer yet but those who have (whom I have spoken to) have expressed disappointment - saying the beer is damn fine but perhaps too close to Little Creatures/Sierra Nevada. So it is not different to what else is going on.

The way way they make/ferment it is certainly a departure to any other brewery operation in Aus.

I look forward to getting down there. Anyone had it?? Is it unique???

As for unique and cane sugar - what is so special about cane sugar????? Yes it is grown in Queensland and has always been used to fill out a beer so as to make a profit for the brewery - it has nothing to do with flavour etc Sausage rolls are unique to Australia - no other country has them, well not since I travelled.

This discussion could go around in circles for decades.....the proof will be in the taste.

Sausage rolls are unique to Australia - no other country has them, well not since I travelled.

I guess you didn't go to Ireland or The Netherlands.

I guess you didn't go to Ireland or The Netherlands.

Never been to Ireland but I did hang out in the Netherlands for a while in the 80's never saw a sausage roll but they had some lovely chocolates you got from those special smoking shops!
:rolleyes:

Ypur right it's time for action!

Chappo, your entry into the BABB's Aussie pale ale is due in at next months meeting - a perfect opportunity to put your twist on an aussie style - The whole basis of the comp is to brew the the most drinkable aussie style ale, with no restrictions on interpretation. With the winner seeing his beer on tap at the platform Bar, what more could you ask for :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

Chappo, your entry into the BABB's Aussie pale ale is due in at next months meeting - a perfect opportunity to put your twist on an aussie style - The whole basis of the comp is to brew the the most drinkable aussie style ale, with no restrictions on interpretation. With the winner seeing his beer on tap at the platform Bar, what more could you ask for :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

FFS I really need to read things better! I sincerely thought it was traditional pale ale?

Ok I have time and the grain why not?

Cheers Ross

Chappo

It is interesting to note that probably the foremost influential beer producer/brewer this country has ever had has just opened himself another brewery - White Rabbit, you would think that the beer coming out of there by a damn fine (and good looking brewer) would be working along the lines of being "uniquely Australian"

I havent tried the beer yet but those who have (whom I have spoken to) have expressed disappointment - saying the beer is damn fine but perhaps too close to Little Creatures/Sierra Nevada. So it is not different to what else is going on.

The way way they make/ferment it is certainly a departure to any other brewery operation in Aus.

Sorry to take this slightly OT, but after the venue opened the direction of the beer changed. What you'll get off tap now is still hoppy but less bitter, much darker and packs a pretty complex specialty malt profile. Thanks for saying the brewers are good looking though ;)

I recal from a few sydney case swaps ago........ i think it was Jon W... is that him? he made a B Sazz pale ale.

It fit the bill perfectly. It was around the 16 to 18 EBC mark, light on the malt but enough to ballance the hops.

Hops were bold but not APA bold. THey were spicy and prominent but ballanced.

Bitterness was firm and the beer finnished dry and refreshing.

I remember it well because it was an awsome beer and one i would consider as one of my "knock up beers" if i had of brewed it. One that wouldnt have lasted long in the keg.

Im going to have a go at making something in the Aussie Wheat vain this weekend. It will be an out there beer not fitting any style.

Im thinking 60% aussie wheat malt....... pilsner malt (i only have weyerman) some crystal for body and colour. POR to bitter and perhaps some Halertau aroma from NZ..... fresh whole hops in the finnish.

might mash cool and chuck it on some 1469 for some fun.

recipe to come.

cheers

Ok...... here is my Aussie Wheat ale. I have been planning something like this for a while now and this thread has inspired me.

I have decided to use US-05 for a nice dry finnish...... the crystal malts will add sweetness and body to ballance out the high attenuation.

using a similar hopping schedule to my LCBA mockup which always comes out great with whatever hops you use.

I wanted a kind of american wheat but less hops and less citrus and pine.

should come out malty but dry, hoppy with a spicy floral edge. A bit of malt sweetness to ballance the bitterness and dry malt pressence of all that wheat.

And i just love these NZ hops! So do the people who drink my beers.

Aussie Wheat Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 52.00 Wort Size (L): 52.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.50
Anticipated EBC: 13.2
Anticipated IBU: 33.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
57.1 6.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.038 4
36.2 3.80 kg. TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Ma UK 1.037 6
3.8 0.40 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 50
2.9 0.30 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 145

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 14.4 45 min.
40.00 g. Hallertau Aroma Whole 6.60 11.9 45 min.
20.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 3.9 15 min.
20.00 g. Hallertau Aroma Whole 6.60 3.2 15 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. Hallertau Aroma Whole 6.60 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 @ 19 deg

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain kg: 10.50
Total Water Qts: 22.22 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water L: 21.02 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.08
Grain Temp: 18.28 C

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
protein rest 5 15 52 51 Infuse 59 21.02 2.00
mash 5 60 65 65 Infuse 99 10.83 3.03

cheers

As for unique and cane sugar - what is so special about cane sugar????? Yes it is grown in Queensland and has always been used to fill out a beer so as to make a profit for the brewery - it has nothing to do with flavour etc Sausage rolls are unique to Australia - no other country has them, well not since I travelled.

This discussion could go around in circles for decades.....the proof will be in the taste.

Sugar Cane might not be uniquely Australian, but if one of the things you are looking for is to make a beer that reflects local ingredients, culture and some influence on the Nations identity - then its a hard one to go past. Especially for the north eastern parts of the country. It has influenced the local ethnic make up, local business and life and even the balance of nature (cane toads) - somewhat significant I say.

And I need to disagree with the whole "always been used to fill out a beer so as to make a profit for the brewery" sentiment. Yes it has - but people seem to think that that's the only reason it is used - its not. It is deliberately used and this is the original reason it was included in Australian beers - for entirely flavour related reasons. The Australian palate wanted lighter and easier to drink beers, that were at their best cold and could be consumed reasonably quickly and in quantity, This isn't some marketing drive by the "big" brewers, not unless it was one that emerged even before the big brewers were big - it is an adaption of recipes to meet the expectations of the local market. Why is it that people think that brewers are somehow unique in their ability to force the public to buy a product that they really don't prefer??

Sugar in Australian beers is there for exactly the same reason it is in Belgian beers - to lighten the body, reduce the maltiness, increase the dryness and make the beer more drinkable. No one bitches and moans about sugar in Duvel - but do precisely the same thing in a beer that isn't as nice - and suddenly the sugar itself is somehow a bad thing.
Yeah - its got economic benefits for the breweries, and I'm guessing that there aren't exactly a bunch of mega brewers out there praying that the local tastes change away from adjunct lagers. But I just cant understand the antipathy that so many home brewers seem to have to the very idea of putting sugar into a beer ... well until they try and make a trippel anyway.

If sugar doesn't have a place in a beer designed to reflect local ingredients - then nothing does.

Mind you this is the other conversation - not the one about actually trying to get something included in the style guidelines.

Sugar Cane might not be uniquely Australian, but if one of the things you are looking for is to make a beer that reflects local ingredients, culture and some influence on the Nations identity - then its a hard one to go past. Especially for the north eastern parts of the country. It has influenced the local ethnic make up, local business and life and even the balance of nature (cane toads) - somewhat significant I say.

And I need to disagree with the whole "always been used to fill out a beer so as to make a profit for the brewery" sentiment. Yes it has - but people seem to think that that's the only reason it is used - its not. It is deliberately used and this is the original reason it was included in Australian beers - for entirely flavour related reasons. The Australian palate wanted lighter and easier to drink beers, that were at their best cold and could be consumed reasonably quickly and in quantity, This isn't some marketing drive by the "big" brewers, not unless it was one that emerged even before the big brewers were big - it is an adaption of recipes to meet the expectations of the local market. Why is it that people think that brewers are somehow unique in their ability to force the public to buy a product that they really don't prefer??

Sugar in Australian beers is there for exactly the same reason it is in Belgian beers - to lighten the body, reduce the maltiness, increase the dryness and make the beer more drinkable. No one bitches and moans about sugar in Duvel - but do precisely the same thing in a beer that isn't as nice - and suddenly the sugar itself is somehow a bad thing.
Yeah - its got economic benefits for the breweries, and I'm guessing that there aren't exactly a bunch of mega brewers out there praying that the local tastes change away from adjunct lagers. But I just cant understand the antipathy that so many home brewers seem to have to the very idea of putting sugar into a beer ... well until they try and make a trippel anyway.

If sugar doesn't have a place in a beer designed to reflect local ingredients - then nothing does.

Mind you this is the other conversation - not the one about actually trying to get something included in the style guidelines.

I agree about the sugar. It's in many of my beers, English bitters, IPA's, Belgians, Australian/House Ale. Hell, I even used it once to correct a mashed-too-hot doppelbock. Nothing wrong with sugar in beer, when used well and thoughtfully. Wow, only two lines to say that :p

This thread is starting to look like a episode of lost, its all over the place and I have no idea whats going on.
I am just gunna brew a beer out of the arse of grandpas's gardening pants and dry hop it with lamingtons.

Don't forget the hair from Skippy's chest.

This thread is starting to look like a episode of lost, its all over the place and I have no idea whats going on.
I am just gunna brew a beer out of the arse of grandpas's gardening pants and dry hop it with lamingtons.

Ok. Now I'm confused.

I thought the only thing that was agreed upon was that this is a beast that can't be pinned down as being just one thing?

(And can you mash desiccated coconut?)

It can be many different things but if we don't have a style guideline to brew to.... we are well? Aimless? The point being made is without a defined quantifiable style we are just well... brewing aimlessly against what? Air.

Chappo :icon_cheers:

Who are you making beer for?

Regardless, I'm not saying the exercise is futile. I'm just saying that it seems to me, as an observer, that the second like most people are on the same page that (shit, how do I avoid a mixed metaphor?) we're at opposite ends of the library again.

(Apologies to fans of metaphor and simile alike)

Chappo et al, on Sunday I'll bring along a couple of brews for tasties, one is my 'Kiwi Gold' that is an Aussie BB malt beer featuring NZ hops and maize, which we grow in abundance. Despite the name it could be within the guidelines as proposed in an earlier post. The other one is a SMASH Aussie Malt, Superpride, Sugaz and rice with a couple of different lager yeasts (2 brews same recipe) which I will present for a taste off of the 2 yeasts. Might give us some ideas.

Chappo et al, on Sunday I'll bring along a couple of brews for tasties, one is my 'Kiwi Gold' that is an Aussie BB malt beer featuring NZ hops and maize, which we grow in abundance. Despite the name it could be within the guidelines as proposed in an earlier post. The other one is a SMASH Aussie Malt, Superpride, Sugaz and rice with a couple of different lager yeasts (2 brews same recipe) which I will present for a taste off of the 2 yeasts. Might give us some ideas.

BribieG there is no one better to IMO cultivate my tastebuds... Bring it on!

How can you go past sugar cane?
It was in the Barnsey 'Working Class Man' clip.

Latest posts

Back