The Last Of The Fritz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Not really brew food, but as I sit here in Geelong and munch on toast with bung fritz and tomatoe sauce, I lament on the fact that this far east they just dont sell it :(

It probably would go nice with a lager and a few pickles.

I have seen it in Mildura and whilst in Robe SA I picked up a couple of bits to bring home with me.

Alas, its all gone :(

ahh one of the best after school snacks. along with mettwurst fried on the bbq.

Not really brew food, but as I sit here in Geelong and munch on toast with bung fritz and tomatoe sauce, I lament on the fact that this far east they just dont sell it :(

It probably would go nice with a lager and a few pickles.

I have seen it in Mildura and whilst in Robe SA I picked up a couple of bits to bring home with me.

Alas, its all gone :(

What is Bung Fritz??

Devon roll, luncheon, somewhat like the stuff that Woolworths (Safeway) sell as Berliner... Along those lines. Lips and Arseholes in a roll my old man called it...

What is Bung Fritz??

Its a South Australian thing Paul. No one else can do Bung Fritz.

I think it is made by 'Chapmans' smallgoods.

A girl I went to primary school with had fried fritz ( so it inverted to a cup shape)
filled with cold mashed spud and topped with cooked peas.

'Mrs.... I like beer

Its the same as Devon in the eastern states.

Some great marketing ploy.

Saveloys/Batered Savs
Potato cakes/Scallops (potato)
Yiros/Doner kebab/Souvlaki
Poppers/Fruit Boxes

Made from the same stuff as devon, Just in a different sized roll

When I lived in Broken Hil, you could get both. Didi a side by side comparison with the family, and noone could tell the diff.

Go the devon ;-)

Chers

Its a South Australian thing Paul. No one else can do Bung Fritz.

I think it is made by 'Chapmans' smallgoods.

A girl I went to primary school with had fried fritz ( so it inverted to a cup shape)
filled with cold mashed spud and topped with cooked peas.

'Mrs.... I like beer
Y-U-M.

I grew up with fritz & sauce sammiches for lunch, fried fritz for dinner (okay, not every night - my parents weren't that bad). I even made it once as an adult - brought back lots of memories. Unfortunately the internationals in the share-house at the time saw what I had made, and tried to copy (without asking exactly what I did of course)... Let's just say that a frypan with an inch thick layer of congealed lard containing many pieces of fritz is not something one really wants to find in the kitchen the next morning.

Ahh, gone are the days that the butcher could give a kid a slice of fritz. The last I saw they were allowed to give a slice of smiley-fritz, but only if they got permission from the parents. Wouldn't be surprised if the butcher now has to file applications in triplicate for such a friendly gesture.

Guess what's going in my trolley when I go shopping next?

Fried fritz and sauce on toast with bacon was my weekend breakfast fry up of choice when I was younger.

Mmm... brings back memories. Bung fritz.

2676895624_12779fc5c5_o.jpg

Also known as Paloney (spelling??) in the West.

It's a classic way the deli counter jumpers in the West pick first timers asking for Devon or Fritz.
Usual answer is "you must be from the East", before educating you as to what it's really called over there.

Totally agree with BEC26. Being a RAAF brat, I've lived around the place and totally agree that SA fritz is the same as Devon is the same as USA Balogne. Available in different diameters and thicknesses, but it is the same stuff. It seems that it is rarely acquired by the full sausage outside SA though. Mostly pre-sliced at the deli everywhere else.

Totally agree with BEC26. Being a RAAF brat, I've lived around the place and totally agree that SA fritz is the same as Devon is the same as USA Balogne. Available in different diameters and thicknesses, but it is the same stuff. It seems that it is rarely acquired by the full sausage outside SA though. Mostly pre-sliced at the deli everywhere else.

And the reason it is called "Bung" Fritz, is because the natural casing as shown above, is literally a inside out cows rectum commonly referred to as bungs (hence the term bung-hole!). All the bulbous smallgoods are made filled into bungs of pig or cows. Seems a bit off, but really - no different than sausage casings from small intestines after all.

For a comparitive recipe that doesnt use anyone's ring hole, the master Len Poli has a Bologna recipe that would fit the bill
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bologna.pdf

Well, those in SA do like to be bit different, and of course they are!

No convicts to start with (how many times have I heard that one -snobby bastards lol)

They also pronounce regular words strangely

eg dance = daaaance

France + Fraaaance

Using that logic, an ant should be an Aunt lol

PS love SA, had my kidney transplant i the QEH 9 years ago when I was living in Broken Hill!!!!
Would happily live there one day!

Devon roll, luncheon, somewhat like the stuff that Woolworths (Safeway) sell as Berliner... Along those lines. Lips and Arseholes in a roll my old man called it...

:lol:
My old man never tired of telling me how he loved the stuff until he toured a smallgoods factory.
Took a looong time before he could look the stuff in the eye again, let alone put it on his sangers. :p

TP

Back