The Great Airlock Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use one

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i know i don't have to use one but still like the sound and sight of an airlock bubbling away hence why I maintain the practice.

Have been using glad wrap & a rubber band for years.
Learnt very early on that airlocks and screw-on lids are more trouble than there worth.

Have been using glad wrap & a rubber band for years.
Learnt very early on that airlocks and screw-on lids are more trouble than there worth.

ya think?!? they cost about 50cents and I never found anything about them that I would consider problematic!?

Always use the s-bend suckers, I've got three floating around the kitchen. I love'em, they're a conversation piece when sitting unused on the window sill. Plus I love the sound of brewing in the evening and waking up to the bloop bloop of my millions of unpaid little workers doing my bidding.

OK. I know this is a rotten picky but I had to share what I woke upto this morning.

oh no!! you've spilt beer :(

Plus I love the sound of brewing in the evening and waking up to the bloop bloop of my millions of unpaid little workers doing my bidding.

same here. cant understand why my wife thinks its annoying??

I'm with the bloop bloop brigade.
I find it no extra trouble to sanitise that little s and grommet along with the rest.
Plus I am in a pretty dusty flie infested area, just my little piece of mind as my job keeps me traveling a fair bit so if i have to leave it a day or to longer no biggie.

as my 30 litre ferm doesnt fit in the bar/fermenting fridge with an airlock.

Thats why I use a blowoff tube into a bottle of sanitiser for my 60L fermenter...

I always use one just love hearing that noise coming out of em

Franko

as my 30 litre ferm doesnt fit in the bar/fermenting fridge with an airlock.

Thats why I use a blowoff tube into a bottle of sanitiser for my 60L fermenter...

Yep, I do the same when CC'ing my 23L glass ferms in the kegging fridge. I'm just able to fit 1 19L corny + 1 ferm so that I don't have to run 2 fridges simultaneously just to CC (not to mention other brews in the ferm fridge might not be ready to drop). It's a bit fiddly, but gets the job done.

I'm a 3 piece airlock guy myself which allows you to remove the lid, while the float stays air-locked on the main assembly. It essentially allows you to top up the unit with water/iodophor or sanitiser of choice if it's lost it's strength in lengthy ferms. I suppose an S airlock allows for top up as well, but with a lid system you keep the roaches out and other nasties previously mentioned in this thread. And a two piece airlock is no longer air-locked the second you pop the top which is also the float.

reVox

Latest posts

Back