The Effects of Hops & Timing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journeyman

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a description of what hops does and when it does it. Not so much what each type of hops brings to the table but in brewing timing.

I've seen recipes where the same type of hops is added at 60 mins, then 15 mins and in a couple, even then added as dry hops. What I can't find is WHY they do that. What are the different effects they are trying for?

Any links or even videos talking about it would be handy.

I've been looking around for a description of what hops does and when it does it. Not so much what each type of hops brings to the table but in brewing timing.

I've seen recipes where the same type of hops is added at 60 mins, then 15 mins and in a couple, even then added as dry hops. What I can't find is WHY they do that. What are the different effects they are trying for?

Any links or even videos talking about it would be handy.
https://www.mrbeer.com/blog/post/dual-purpose-hops

Hops contain alpha acids, common alpha acids include humulone, adhumulone, cohumulone, posthumulone, and prehumulone. Alpha acids may be isomerised (converted) to form iso-alpha acids by the application of heat in solution. iso-alpha acids (iso-α-acids) are typically produced in beer from the addition of hops to the boiling wort. The degree of isomerisation and the amount of bitter flavor produced by the addition of hops is highly dependent on the length of time the hops are boiled

I asked about this on diybeer and someone provided this chart - it may help others who have similar questions on hops.
upload_2019-10-31_8-59-31.png

I might be confused but Mr Beer claims to be "the only beer making company that makes its own extract in a brewery" - should I tell them about Coopers? :D

I prefer this version
View attachment 116850
OK it's a starting point but it has some fundamental flaws in it. It was drawn years ago to illustrate an opinion, not the facts.
Mark

doesnt address dry hopping at all which is by far my favorite.

in a nutshell, boil for bitterness, dry hop for fruityness.

I might be confused but Mr Beer claims to be "the only beer making company that makes its own extract in a brewery" - should I tell them about Coopers? [emoji1]

Mr Beer = Coopers...

Coopers bought the Mr Beer brand a few years ago [edit: 2012], to become the biggest kit producer in the world (at the time, not sure if they still are...)

doesnt address dry hopping at all which is by far my favorite.

in a nutshell, boil for bitterness, dry hop for fruityness.
A huge amount of fruit can come from late boil / whirlpool. Dry hopping is only one dimension of the flavour and aroma profile.

Back