The Earl Of Spencer Albany

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew9242

Reaction score
Hey all

I have been going to this pub for a while now, and its a great english style pub with some of the best beers on tap in albany. HB lager, wheat, dunkel and Guiness, Killkenny, Belhaven twisted Ipa, Green King Ipa, and now to my favourite at the moment which they just got on tap Coopers Vintage Ale (they dont have a year on it so i will have to ask them next time). And quite a few other beers.

Thay also have pretty good grub, i would recomend a pie and pint if you do go.

Any way just thought i would let you know about this little pub, so if you are ever doen this way you know what to check out.

Drew

I Don't go there very often, been dissapointed to often. But last time i tried there special beers on tap and they weren't that bad. But they are very unreliable beers, so i tend to go to the earl.

A couple of months ago, the beers were very good at Tanglehead, although I didnt try the lager. Planning to pop in this week so will taste the full range and let you know.

The Earl

Nice pub as you say. Its a shame all the imported ales are on nitro, as it makes them taste muted and similar.

Tanglehead

English Pale ale - at the crystal end of the spectrum but a nice beer, and better balanced if you let it warm up from the icy serve temp
Stout - good flavour and mouthfeel for the alcohol, nice drinking stout with a lot of coffee character
Coast hills pils - bear in mind that the beer is served very cold, and that while I can pick diacetyl, i am not sensitive to it at very low levels, but...no diacetyl that I could taste, nice clean lager.

The beers at Tanglehead are definitely worth a visit at the moment.

Good to hear the beers are getting better. Unfortunantly it is all to late. Front page of todays paper shows that tangleheads is in receivership.

Hey all

I have been going to this pub for a while now, and its a great english style pub with some of the best beers on tap in albany.
Drew
Somewhere in this totally cluttered house of mine I have an advertisment for that pub which was printed around 100 years ago when it was Nesbitts tavern. Ale was 4d a pint. I used to knock around with the family when I was a kid in the 40's & 50's. I think that that family ran a butchers shop from there in its post pub days but it was derelict until the Earl was started. (some time in the 80's I think)

Back