• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

The Discrete Traveler Delux

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwoody1985

Reaction score
Hey guys, selling a few extinguishers turned into 9ltr party kegs, low pressuse guage and 16g chargers. Im not making anything (well thats a lie, at $60 i am making $7 each one) so i order the parts once payment recieved. Can post within aust at a total of $80 inc postage. Great for taking into bathurst and places you can take your car but not beer. Otherwise Pickup is doyalson nsw. $60

1458635275456.jpg

oooh, these extinguishers are stainless steel? i assumed they were alu or mild steel and was wondering how they would go with beer, specially in any longer term.

Yep, (modern) air water extinguishers are stainless steel.

Yup stainless steel. And about 2 weeks from payment to delivery.
I would have it out of esky until in the event..

Got some specification details?

I'm surprised to read they are stainless, fire extinguishers in particular.

Not saying they aren't, I'll just remain sceptical until proven otherwise.

Ed: So... a bit of goggling tells me a bit on SS Extinguishers, I do however remain sceptical that they are suitable for beer, passivated and/or easy to clean

Ed: Ed: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200611

Still would like to see product specification.

I have a bit to do with extinguishers from time to time.
9 litre Air Water type extinguishers are stainless, their total volume on average is around 11 litres.
AB:E (Dry Powder) type extinguishers are plain old mild steel.
Co2 extinguishers are aluminium with some older ones still out in the field being made of steel.
There are other types and some rare exceptions to the above but that's it in a nutshell.
I thought about making a malt pipe out of an Air Water extinguisher but 11 litres is a bit too small.
Maybe ok for a HERMS?

my concern is more to do with the type of stainless and the welds, might be OK, might not..

Im not saying these aren't the ducks, just more information would be good, if the seller isn't informed, he should be.

@Benn, Ive got an older co2 FE and have wanted to convert to a HEX for some time, maybe I'll get the time to do so soon, pretty sure it's mild steel and has acted as backup co2 for the last few years.

Unfortunately the going price of used 19L cornies is about $70.

If that's about the selling price the whole point is being able to surreptitiously carry beer in your car into a festival or something. I think it's a very cool idea.

Air Waters are put together pretty well with a working pressure of around 700 KPa (7 Bar). Test pressure is 2MPa or 2.5MPa (20-25 Bar) I've looked inside plenty of older units from the 1980's and they're like new inside despite never having had a pressure test.
They look pretty tidy inside, i.e no daggy welds etc. I wonder how they'd go as a brite tank? Too small?

Concerns about stainless or not, i was the same at the beginning so i cut one open to clarify it for myself before i bothered even ordering the parts for the 1st one. Cant seem to ad a pic here though? Oh yes i can. Here ya go

1458767528799.jpg

Mardoo said:
If that's about the selling price the whole point is being able to surreptitiously carry beer in your car into a festival or something. I think it's a very cool idea.
Ditto- I think it's fairly obvious just what a handy thing this would be for BYO at events with certain restrictions.
As already mentioned though, keeping the fire extinguisher in the Esky might seem a tiny bit weird, but nevertheless it would still have to be worth a try, particularly if paying through the nose for green death, gold and the like is the only other options.
FWIW, Munich Dunkel or a similar coloured beer camouflaged in repurposed red- labelled fizzy drink bottles is another option I've used with some success.
Sorry OP for heading OT, all the best.

Somewhat off topic, when I'm on the Country train a good lurk is to get a mini bottle of red wine from the buffet, you get the plastic glass with it. Then top the glass up now and again from your garishly labelled 600ml bottle of Ocean Spray Cranberry Classic, that's actually full of port. **** the cranberries.

You're already stunk up with alcohol (and don't some of the old ducks detect it) so you're covered by the buffet wine bottle (that you keep in view in case of passing train staff).
For a really long trip Cranberry Classic also comes in the litre size but to maintain the illusion you need to keep ordering a wine, say every hour.

When I saw a thread started by a bloke called Mr Woody, advertising the discrete traveller delux, I have to admit I made an assumption that the item could in fact be a little inappropriate for family viewing.....plenty of other forums for that equipment.

As it turns out Mr Woody is quite innocently selling a keg that is masquerading as a fire extinguisher, so he can smuggle beer into the Bathurst car races. Seems I owe you an apology Mr Woody.

Sometimes it is best to take a step back and just assess the situation objectively.

Anthony.

OT - but in relation to sneaking grog in.

Having just spent four days managing a gate at the Grand Prix i can tell you for a fact that in relation to soft drink the conditions of entry for that event prohibit "Any container where themanufactures seal is not intact"

So theoritcally if you happened to put a nice new PET lid with an unbroken seal onto your soft drink bottle filled with your beverage of choice - the security at that particular event probably couldnt not let you bring it in...

Because the manufacturers seal would appear to be intact.

Im guessing the fine print on conditions of entry would be similar for other events that allow soft drink

I use to cut the top off a new bottle of coke. Then used a soldering iron to fold the plastic in on its self and remove from inside the lid, without breaking the seal. Then coke and mix into a nice clean bottle, new lid with seal intact on top, packed lunch, Then off to the footy/monster truck show.
When I went to bathurst I had some tallies in the fridge of the camper, which they would not allow in due to the glass, so i decanted them into 600ml pet bottles carby cap on, shot of push bike gas, gave them the empty bottles, every one was happy.
The funny thing was,no one noticed the bottle wine sitting in the fridge door.

That's because the redneck bogans who go to Bathurst don't drink wine.

Flame suit on

:ph34r:

Pity you can't get Brandivino anymore. Now that was a classic.

They do Bribie.....Stones Green Ginger Wine. Although at the snobbie cost of $10 per bottle it is reserved only for when Ford wins a race.

Latest posts

Back