The Common Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
Ok,

so ive been brewing alot with my new all grain setup from last april. did a brew a week last winter getting all my grain by post from Grain and grape which was great. Ive made some good ones and bad ones and some inbetween but still trying to crack out a good common beer that my non brewing mates will love. i know i know if they dont appreciate a nice balanced beer or are not a hop head then why worry. but i really just want to make a common one once and for all and show them all up and shut them up once and for all.

so far ive tried these

A carlton draft clone

5kg 2 row pale malt
yeast s 04
pride of ringwood 9.9%
60 min 15g
5 min 7 g

mashed round 67deg

done a few recipes around this even changing the grain mix to a more IPA style
4.2kg 2 row
.3 wheat
.25 crystal

still nothing really comes out right

I tried all pride of ringwood with
4kg 2 row
.5 vienna
.3 wheat

POR 9.8%
60 MIN 15G
10 MIN 11G
dry hop 2 days in 7g

mashed 62 deg

it came out ok but still left a bitter unpolite taste at the end

I also tried A ESB MIX

4.5KG crip marris otter
.23 simpsons dark

horizon 12%
amerillo 8.2%

60 min 12g horizon
10 min 15g amerillo
o min 15g amerillo

mashed round 66deg

im just after a good beer that tastes really like the commerical beers. low ibu. a dryish finish and dominated by malt without being sweet

I could go into more detail with the above recipes but its just to give you a idea. All fermenting is controlled to the degree and they make nice beers but just not really close to anything that you could put it next to.

any advice or recipes would great

hammo

cheers

Try adding some rice to a recipe, i made a beer with 1 kg and found that mates who usually drink draft or VB thought this beer was great. It seemed to add megaswill qualities.

Kleiny

Ok,

so ive been brewing alot with my new all grain setup from last april. did a brew a week last winter getting all my grain by post from Grain and grape which was great. Ive made some good ones and bad ones and some inbetween but still trying to crack out a good common beer that my non brewing mates will love. i know i know if they dont appreciate a nice balanced beer or are not a hop head then why worry. but i really just want to make a common one once and for all and show them all up and shut them up once and for all.

so far ive tried these

A carlton draft clone

5kg 2 row pale malt
yeast s 04
pride of ringwood 9.9%
60 min 15g
5 min 7 g

mashed round 67deg

done a few recipes around this even changing the grain mix to a more IPA style
4.2kg 2 row
.3 wheat
.25 crystal

still nothing really comes out right

I tried all pride of ringwood with
4kg 2 row
.5 vienna
.3 wheat

POR 9.8%
60 MIN 15G
10 MIN 11G
dry hop 2 days in 7g

mashed 62 deg

it came out ok but still left a bitter unpolite taste at the end

I also tried A ESB MIX

4.5KG crip marris otter
.23 simpsons dark

horizon 12%
amerillo 8.2%

60 min 12g horizon
10 min 15g amerillo
o min 15g amerillo

mashed round 66deg

im just after a good beer that tastes really like the commerical beers. low ibu. a dryish finish and dominated by malt without being sweet

I could go into more detail with the above recipes but its just to give you a idea. All fermenting is controlled to the degree and they make nice beers but just not really close to anything that you could put it next to.

any advice or recipes would great

hammo

cheers

Try the recipe database. There are some clones of XXXX, Aussie Lager etc.
try this one
XXXX

Hi Mate

I've made a series of beers recently to try and make a nice Aussie style beer. My favourite was very similar to your first recipe. However it used a lager yeast and no late hop addition (only a 60 minute bittering addition of POR). Keep it simple and go for a nice clean yeast.

The other recipe that comes to mind is AndreQLD's Coopers Pale Ale clone. I have tried this recipe a few times now and it is fairly close to the real thing.

Cheers

MOM

nick jd 's 20 ltr lager.

I did 2 different kegs for a BBQ at my joint.
dr smurtos JSGA and nicks..both came out great.
My mates actually prefered Nicks.

I think because it was closer to what they normally would drink.

keep it simple... really simple

85% Pilsner or Ale malt
5% carapils (for foam stability)
10% sugar (added at end of boil)

20IBU Magnum/Northern Brewer/All purpose bittering hop @ 60 mins/first wort (added as you begin to sparge into the kettle)

Magnum IMO is the best all purpose bittering hop for me. Clean, bitter, lightly peppery but nothing over the top. You dont need late additions for this style.

60 min boil

yeast: if you want commerical flavour, you must use a lager yeast. IMO there are no ifs or buts about it. pesudo lagers are good but the flavour just isnt the same as a lager. Lets face it, you want some sulfer as most megaswill is riddled with it. S-23 is the good simple option at anywhere between 10-14 deg.

If you cannot make a lager, a pseudo lager is the closest you will get but it will be a clean ale flavour with ale characteristics. i'd use US05 and fermented at 18deg.

if you're feeling adventerous with yeasts and want liquid, wyeast bohemian lager or American Ale.

All malt is going to be far too Mastercheffy for your mates. Rice is a great adjunct as it thins the body and mostly gets mashed to maltose but partly ends up as dextrins = mouthfeel / smoothness. My bog standard Aussie is:

4kg pilsener
1kg rice dry weight cooked to a mush
90 min mash

30g POR 60 mins
edit: Magnum (the German one) is great as well. It's actually the second most grown hop in Germany after Hallertau.

S-189 Lager yeast or Wyeast Danish fermented around 14 degrees.

no late hop addition (only a 60 minute bittering addition of POR). Keep it simple and go for a nice clean yeast.

The other recipe that comes to mind is AndreQLD's Coopers Pale Ale clone. I have tried this recipe a few times now and it is fairly close to the real thing.

+1 on a bunch of these points. No late hopping needed for most megaswill recipes. Many non-brewers won't notice it anyhow. So if using your own recipe drop the dry hop bit.

Have also used AndrewQLD's recipe for the grain bill and it is a good one, works nicely even with a non-coopers yeast (an S-04 or US-05 ale yeast will work with Andrew's base recipe just fine as a generic crowd pleaser), but if you're seeking the holy grail and want to nail the coopers flavour you do need to reculture the yeast from a couple of stubbies or a long neck. Have tried this beer when others have made it properly and it does taste like the real deal.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back