The Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
I ground back the welds on the brewery frame today so I can take my bit pieces into work and get some welding done and this project finshed off.

I have some SS pipe, fittings and a couple of welders lines up to finish this project off.

I have some good head way on my 3 roller SS crankandstein clone as well.

Most exciting is that I have a prototype of a 50L keg with a retrofit conical bototm and dimple jacket on it. I just gotta work out how I can economically attach a cooling system to this thing. Easy to put it in a fridge I suppose, but thats not what I want.

kirem said:
Most exciting is that I have a prototype of a 50L keg with a retrofit conical bototm and dimple jacket on it. I just gotta work out how I can economically attach a cooling system to this thing. Easy to put it in a fridge I suppose, but thats not what I want.
[post="109593"][/post]​

Sounds interesting! Got any pics for us? I'd like to have something that can ferment lagers with out having to fit in a fridge!

kirem said:
[post="109593"][/post]​

I've thought about this from time to time. You could put a small copper coil (like a small immersion chiller) in a freezer and run hoses out that connect to the jacketed fermenter, and then pump glycol through the coil and fermenter. For temperature control you could set the pump up to switch on and off as needed to maintain a particular temp. Would be pretty simple.

kirem said:
[post="109593"][/post]​

Looked around a small brewery setup recently. They used poly water pipe (housing type, irrigation) and a glycol plant. The pipe was coiled around the middle of the ss fermenters for about 1/4 of the height of the fermenter and then the whole fermenter was covered in a black rubber insulation and taped up. Theoretically the same could be done using a container of glycol and water in a freezer, with a pond pump for circulation powered via a thermostat.

Back