The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As above my current controller is set up with all high voltage in a seperate box with the controller getting in it's own box getting low voltage and signals over cat5.

I've worked hard to minimise the pump scrambling issue as much as possible. zwitter is spot on (and as an aside is a font of knowledge anything electronics!) - it is basically a question of wiring. I've sent some of the prototypes to people who have had scrambling issues in the past and had them comment that they can't break the new one... I was pretty happy with that. :) In my own testing - it IS possible to make the new board scramble, but usually involves pressing the pump button >3 times in under 1 second or some similar insane 'test' rather than real-world condition.

I solved my scrambling problem and I didnt even mean to.. I mounted a 12v fan on my heat sink because im running a 5.5 kw element and have not had scrambing since. So maybe give that a go

cheers

Thanks for the feedback guy's... Appreciate it!

I really need to take the plunge and drill the Crown to make the re-circulation side of things a reality.
Lot's to consider when building a system and I've probably spent too much time thinking about how to make it braumeister like.

Lael, I like your suggestion of Qldkev's 1V. The youtube clips look really good and I think I could adapt the crown to do that same.
I do own a BigW 19L pot that I'm yet to convert into a malt pipe. I'm mulling over a mounting system for it but I think I might have something sorted for a top mount.

Since I only got 2 brews out of the 12V LBP before it Shat itself I've only ever read about the 240V issues that others have experienced.

James I have a feeling that a separate SSR might be a good option to power the 240V Pump. Not a lot more in the coin department to get this happening, although I might need to re-build the controller box as I don't think my layout will work with a second SSR inside. I've followed Matho's manual pretty closely so the box and heat sink I dare say are going to need to be replaced. If that's the case I'd love to get a hold of one of your cases Lael, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Actually speaking of the controller case, one thing I did do on mine that I'm not sure if anyone has done is to basically run a usb extension cable off the Arduino and make a hole for it on the outside of the box. The idea being to make it much easier to play with the code on it, and not have to disassemble it update. Then along came Ardbir and I've not looked at Matho's code since.

I'll post up a pic of my USB cable outlet so you get the idea. Might be useful to someone else.

I actually only realised when reading this thread that people were using Arduino Mega's now. I was wondering why I couldn't save any brew configs in my Uno. Very simple solution and clearly I didn't put too much thinking time into it!

Lynchman, I take it you have a reasonable size system to be running a 5.5kw element? Wouldn't mind the larger element too or the hand held one to improve ramp times to boil. 3kw would have been bettter in the Crown, but I guess it's designed to boil water rather than brewing. The fan's not a bad idea either will keep it in mind. FYI I'm out in Melton so I guess in AHB terms were basically neighbours.

Thanks again guy's... Will post the pics tomorrow when I'm online.

Cheers

Waz

Really want to get my hands on a Mathos controller. How can I get one?

Are the current versions the same as this model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFB9mOMe-Wg

Hey Ken!

Yep, that's what it looks like. Just getting final parts of the entire kit ordered. So it is still pre-order and I'll ship when I get all the parts in.

Quick update for everyone:
Temp probes - have been delayed. The vendor's supplier cut the wrong pitch thread into the bulkheads. New Estimate is 17th July.
Heatsinks - I got the samples and they are awesome - I'll post pics. Getting a date for shipping.

Ken - PM'd you.

Here are the heatsink pics :)

heatsink01.jpg

heatsink02.jpg

heatsink03.jpg

Looks great and totally stoked we're getting close. Out of curiosity what were the drivers in your decision on form factor for the heat sink.

The heatsinks look brilliant Lael. Did they end up cutting a new die for them then?

Yeah, I paid for the custom mould which is why it took another month to get made. :)

They take a 70mm fan rather than an 80mm fan, which are not easily purchased from your local PC parts place, but can be easily found on eBay.

Great question mardoo!
A few things: 1. Easy to add active cooling to. 2. Efficient at dissipating heat if used passively (expected as the default) 3. As I was paying for a custom mould - I wanted it to allow some flexibility - so you'll notice it is more narrow than the last ones I've posted photos of - it will fit on the sides of the box :)

Edit: One thing I'm unsure about: I made it taller to increase heat dissipation, which for a passive heatsink is critical. However, installed on the box a shorter height looks better.

I'm going to see if I can run a test with it today to check how well it does. My guess is that the extra height is something we'll love in summer and wish was different in winter ;)

Mardoo said:
Looks great and totally stoked we're getting close. Out of curiosity what were the drivers in your decision on form factor for the heat sink.

hehehe - actually when I was looking the price on these local ebay sellers vs international was quite competitive too. A $ or 2 not to have to wait. Very Nice.

Lael,

Just wondering if you'll be re-hashing the assembly video to accommodate the component changes since the last video was made?

For me the video gave me some confidence that I'd actually be able to assemble the kit.

Back