The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LiquidCurrency said:
...dammit. I was waiting for that list to fill up! I'm hanging to get things happening at my end =)
hehe - yeah, me too - but I'm also very aware that there is more to happen on the PCB front and parts list. I think I've almost got a reasonable heatsink figured out, and am trying to source effective higher amp sockets at the moment. Aaand fit it all in a smallish box. lol.

This might be a stupid question, as I'm not fully aware of the capabilities of the controller board - but would it be possible down the track to expand the controller to be able to control a motorized ball valve, and measure/monitor the water volume in the kettle/MT?.....I'm thinking about the possibility of placing the grain in the malt pipe (dry) before heading off to work, and at a certain time having the controller automatically fill the malt pipe/kettle with water to a specified level (by underletting the grain via the mash return port), and have the mash all done by the time I get home! That would be sweet.....

Hi BobCharlie,

There are no plans for measuring water volume. There is already delay code in various versions of the controller which would allow you to fill at the start of the day and then have the mash done when you return home. Without setting up a rig with a stirring device, I don't think you would want to have the mash-in occur unattended. There are no plans to incorporate a stirring device into the design.

Count me in for one!

1. Lael x2
2. natdene
3. shaodw
4. gap
5. kingy
6. barneey
7. ArnieW
8. Putrino
9. Mitch_76
10. tateg
11. LiquidCurrency
12. rafinus
13. crazyhorse
14. marksy x 2
15. JB
16. Neo__04
17.Masters Brewery
18. Cervantes
19. Cervantes
20. sipahono
21. BobCharlie
22. jubilakka
23. CoxR
24. Capnk
25. breakbeer
26. lael
27. marksy
28. micbrew
29. Screamadelica

Hi Lael - sorry I wasn't suggesting any changes to your controller plans (it sounds/looks awesome!) - I was just wondering whether it would be possible (i.e. by me or someone else in the future) to expand the controller to include measurement/control of a few additional devices (i.e. like a motorized ball valve, pressure sensor or similar for water volume measurement)....

Regarding your suggestion of doughing in before work and using a delay timer to start the mash at a later time..... - my understanding is that leaving grain + water (at room temp) for several hours prior to mashing could sour the mash? (Happy to be told I'm wrong on this). This is what led me to think about the idea of underletting the grain (to help avoid grain clumps forming in the malt pipe) automatically at a set time, and then recirculating/ramping to mash temp immediately after the controller has slowly filled the malt pipe/kettle.....

Cheers
Matt

Current users of the controller use an already built in delay, mashing in the night before and have the machine kick off at 5am or so, wake up get coffee, lift malt pipe. No adverse affects have been reported.

MB

ED: Bloody typo

MB - cheers for the info - that's awesome, and certainly a lot easier than my whacky idea of automatic filling etc.....

So, I presume these current users mash-in with room temp water, this is left for the delay time (not heating or recirculating), and then the controller kicks into action and begins recirculation and runs the mash program??

Hey Lael,

Which model ardunio will you be using? Will the extra I/O be available on the PCB? If not could it be for future additions etc?

BobCharlie said:
MB - cheers for the info - that's awesome, and certainly a lot easier than my whacky idea of automatic filling etc.....

So, I presume these current users mash-in with room temp water, this is left for the delay time (not heating or recirculating), and then the controller kicks into action and begins recirculation and runs the mash program??
That's the one!

Access to additional I/Os would be great, and help future-proof the system. Even if it required further wiring and soldering by the user. Just my 2c. ^^

The aim is to include the mega, which has a bunch of pins available.

BobCharlie - all ideas open to suggestion. I'd already considered those two and decided against them. Basically because of complexity vs benefit. It is just as easy to ask the brewer to fill up to appropriate water levels, and the brewer has to be there at some point to set it up.

hey lael,
Been reading this thread for a while and looking at going from 3 v to 1v. Can you add me in for 1 thanks.

Pat

Like this:

1. Lael x2
2. natdene
3. shaodw
4. gap
5. kingy
6. barneey
7. ArnieW
8. Putrino
9. Mitch_76
10. tateg
11. LiquidCurrency
12. rafinus
13. crazyhorse
14. marksy x 2
15. JB
16. Neo__04
17.Masters Brewery
18. Cervantes
19. Cervantes
20. sipahono
21. BobCharlie
22. jubilakka
23. CoxR
24. Capnk
25. breakbeer
26. lael
27. marksy
28. micbrew
29. Screamadelica
30. Pats

JB said:
1. Lael x2
2. natdene
3. shaodw
4. gap
5. kingy
6. barneey
7. ArnieW
8. Putrino
9. Mitch_76
10. tateg
11. LiquidCurrency
12. rafinus
13. crazyhorse
14. marksy x 2
15. JB
16. Neo__04
17.Masters Brewery
18. Cervantes
19. Cervantes
20. sipahono
21. BobCharlie
22. jubilakka
23. CoxR
24. Capnk
25. breakbeer
26. lael
27. marksy
28. micbrew
29. Screamadelica
30. Pats
31. claypot
Asome bit of kit, well done and thanks to all involved. I need one for sure.

1. Lael x2
2. natdene
3. shaodw
4. gap
5. kingy
6. barneey
7. ArnieW
8. Putrino
9. Mitch_76
10. tateg
11. LiquidCurrency
12. rafinus