The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi if there was 1 still available pm me with bank details and I will do
the transfer
Thanks

Deevotronics said:
Quick update: also happens in Manual Mode... tried this for the boil at the end of the run, temp reads 93.75 but wort is clearly boiling, reset controller and temp reads 99.75.

So the screen isn't scrambling, but the controller has stopped responding and the screen has frozen on the previous temp shown?

Ok everyone, as best I can work out I have sold the last kit I have available. Sorry, but for the moment I am done (after I get the last kits off of course!). Someone mentioned that he might be interested in doing the kits after me. I'll chat with him before I mention anything more about it - but there may be hope on the horizon for people still wanting one :)

Thanks again Lael! Kit arrived yesterday! Built this morning... Just need the enclosure to wire up the switches so I can try it out! Exciting! :)

Nice! I was playing with one a couple of days ago and realised that the micro match is annoying. I forgot how fiddly those wires are. I would suggest using PCB headers in place of the micromatch and something like http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281338139223?nav=SEARCH which would make the board removable. Use them for the LED's as well.

Was also thinking that if you put the headers on the lcd side of the board it will allow you to plug the uno in to update without needing to remove it.

djar007 said:
Was also thinking that if you put the headers on the lcd side of the board it will allow you to plug the uno in to update without needing to remove it.
Nice tip!!! for if and when I build the next one :D

Hi everyone, just completed my build of Mathos controller - ardbir variant, very easy and straight forward thanks to all involved. I would be happy to organise a bunch of kits if anyone wanted ?, I can CNC the enclosures if people want them too.

That sounds like a good offer Dan. What would the costs be in doing the car work. I would be keen for three. But am using the larger 20x4 screen.

Hi djar007, I too used the 20x4 screen , I actually tried playing with a 4d systems 3.2" touch LCD but haven't got that to work via ardbir yet.

Haven't done any pricing on the kits, lots can be saved as label has proved with bulk buying parts, it all depends on how "complete" a kit people want really

The cnc of the enclosures might add $30, for all the holes including LCD screen cutout and clear acrylic insert as an example

trackerdan said:
Hi djar007, I too used the 20x4 screen , I actually tried playing with a 4d systems 3.2" touch LCD but haven't got that to work via ardbir yet.

Haven't done any pricing on the kits, lots can be saved as label has proved with bulk buying parts, it all depends on how "complete" a kit people want really

The cnc of the enclosures might add $30, for all the holes including LCD screen cutout and clear acrylic insert as an example
I'd be very interested in a pre cut case!

If you haven't done anything with pricing them it might be worth holding off on them. Djar has been working on putting new kits together with some improvements. I'm also working on getting an improved PCB made that will hopefully allow future upgrades. Of course, it will take some time, but worth waiting for. If you have any pcb design experience PM me, it would be great to have more input.

lael said:
Nice! I was playing with one a couple of days ago and realised that the micro match is annoying. I forgot how fiddly those wires are. I would suggest using PCB headers in place of the micromatch and something like http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281338139223?nav=SEARCH which would make the board removable. Use them for the LED's as well.
Yeah lael..
I have used those leads x2 on each so I can unplug it need be..

Cheers lynchman

lael said:
So the screen isn't scrambling, but the controller has stopped responding and the screen has frozen on the previous temp shown?
Thats right lael. No scrambling, just the temperature processing stops. This means the PID stays in its current state and I get quite a bit of overshoot.

Is that in manual or in auto mode? I have no idea what the issue is... but getting a clear understanding of why it happens might help. Which code base are you using?

lael said:
Is that in manual or in auto mode? I have no idea what the issue is... but getting a clear understanding of why it happens might help. Which code base are you using?
Happens in both auto and manual. During the auto run I had to reset the box about 4 times as the temp measurement kept crashing, first occasion I had expected to see the SSR start pulsing at around 60 degrees (aiming for 63) but it was still constant on after a while and displayed temp hadnt changed so I used an analogue (mercury) thermometer to test and saw the actual was well above the displayed temp from DS1820 and SSR was still applying heat, When I reset the controller the displayed temp was 70 degrees, well above setpoint and matched what my analogue thermometer was reading. As I mentioned in a previous post I tried it also in manual mode (for the boil part of my brew) and the display temp stalled at 93 degrees but the wort continued to heat up and eventually was enjoying a rolling boil, reset the controller and hey presto the displayed temp was 99.75. Do you think it could be the entire loop is crashing, I recall in earlier posts there was issues with the timer not working properly and people resetting the controllers and resuming process as a work-around?

Im using the code you linked to in the post below, brauduino2.INO from github. Im pretty good with electronics hardware, but the software side is like visiting a foreign country and not speaking the native tongue. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. Overall Im pretty pleased with the system, just bottled my first batch (used Pilsner recipe from Braumeister website, 1/2 teaspoon of raw sugar into each 450ml Grolsch bottle) and Im looking forward to sampling in a week or two. Just added a pic to your build thread, seems my estimate for the top locking bar using 4mm stainless steel was, shall we say, inadequate.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/69155-bonjuino-and-mathos-controller-30/page-14#entry1117162

Deevotronics said:
Happens in both auto and manual...
Hi Deevo, I had a similar issue and may be of help. I have tried different codes to no avail. I traced it back to either a faulty or improperly grounded bulkhead temp probe. Started out as stuck temp which screwed with the timings as you described, then manifested into the 85 degree issue which is the sensors way of saying "error". I have gone through two so far. Third one seems to be holding its own after a solid 'earthing' effort. 7 brews so far no issues.

MFleck - what was your 'solid grounding effort'? Did the probes end up toasted or do they recover?

Here is the build complete with the color coded buttons, 20x4 display, mega mounted and all neatly in a clear fronted box :)

ClearBoxMega1.jpg

Of course, the code all fits on a uno at the moment, so no advantage to a mega right now... but it is there...

The one thing I would like to fit is: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Shield-Shield-for-Spark-Core-p-1837.html and http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Spark-Core-with-Chip-Antenna-p-1495.html

But I think there are some adaptations that would need to be made. Would be nice to flash code without opening the box. And... potentially notifications on your phone... the possibilities!

Edit: You will need m3x18mm standoffs for the larger screen (the ones I was supplying with the 16x2 are 15mm ones).

Back