• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

The Big Queensland Yeast Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a brewer and a microbiologist.........im thinking you do a lot of "research" when your at work :)

I would love to understant microbiology more........should have stayed at school

I'm willing to add some yeasts to the list, but i am about to move house (unplanned) so i won't be able to make any starters up. If someone wants to make them up, they are available.

001 Californian
775 English Cider
025 Southwold
800 Pilsner
007 Dry English
004 irish
009 Australian

All are in the tubes.

Darren said:
Hey guys,
I will be interested to see how this experiment goes. Certainly an interesting idea. My concern is that not all Hbers maintain the same conditions of sanitation. This can result in some interesting brews.
I suggest a great idea would be for each person to buy a new smack pack/tube and on the day split them up under "sterile" conditions (ie. boiled/cooled wort and sanitised transfer tubes/pipettes). That way you would know what you are getting.
If everyone brings along some of those sterile test tubes on the day it will be alot of fun, help each other learn about proper aseptic techniques and most importantly it will ensure that everyone gets what they think they are getting.
Good luck
Darren
[post="72653"][/post]​

Darren,
Have you ever seen anything that made you think "hey that's a great idea!"

Not having a go at you at all here , I just notice you are a deep thinker but always seem to find some other angle in most posts.

Great to read your replies and get returned to earth from time to time.

I seem to think Yes Yes Yes , then read Darrens posts and think Hell Yes :huh:

Batz

Batz said:
Darren said:
Hey guys,
I will be interested to see how this experiment goes. Certainly an interesting idea. My concern is that not all Hbers maintain the same conditions of sanitation. This can result in some interesting brews.
I suggest a great idea would be for each person to buy a new smack pack/tube and on the day split them up under "sterile" conditions (ie. boiled/cooled wort and sanitised transfer tubes/pipettes). That way you would know what you are getting.
If everyone brings along some of those sterile test tubes on the day it will be alot of fun, help each other learn about proper aseptic techniques and most importantly it will ensure that everyone gets what they think they are getting.
Good luck
Darren
[post="72653"][/post]​

Darren,
Have you ever seen anything that made you think "hey that's a great idea!"

Not having a go at you at all here , I just notice you are a deep thinker but always seem to find some negitive point in most posts.

Great to read your replies and get returned to earth from time to time

Batz
[post="72675"][/post]​

Hey Batz,
Yep, I always look at every idea as a possiblity! My posts shouldn't be looked as "negative" but more as "constructive critisism". I cop a lot of this at work and find that generally some of it can be useful.
In the end everyone decides what they are going to do. Different points of view only help to enhance the chances of someone getting something good out of what they do.
Having worked in many micro labs for many years has allowed me to see all sorts of things that have helped my brewing. I hope I can pass some of that experience to help people make better beer.
As everyone knows "yeast makes beer". If your yeast isn't right your beer won't be either.
The hazards of lab work are also something that I have witnessed. If I see a post where someone "may" place themselves in a hazardous situation I sorta feel I should mention it too :(

BTW, The bought smackpack/tube split up on the day should work really well. Would cost everyone $10 or so but each person would get $100 (10 people on the day) or so yeast from it. Also everyone would see /learn how everyone else performed their transfers. I would sugest working in front of a flame with sterile pipettes.
I am more than willing to offer suggestions as how to go about this if you are interested.
Darren

What about sterile syringe throught the smack pack?
That is what I have done in the past (sanitise the smack pack then stick sterile syringe through the pack)

Hoops

im thinking its best if we can keep it simple

if i get a bad yest i get a bad yeast, but it wont go into my beer, i always taste my yeast, and my starter before i pitch, the taste buds are the best scientific intrument anybody can have

Hoops said:
What about sterile syringe throught the smack pack?
That is what I have done in the past (sanitise the smack pack then stick sterile syringe through the pack)

Hoops
[post="72690"][/post]​

I usually place my smack pack edge-down into some sanitiser. I then cut the sanitised edge with a pair of scissors that have also been cleaned and sanitised. Saves working with needles!

ozbrewer said:
im thinking its best if we can keep it simple

if i get a bad yest i get a bad yeast, but it wont go into my beer, i always taste my yeast, and my starter before i pitch, the taste buds are the best scientific intrument anybody can have
[post="72698"][/post]​

I would have to disagree (again) with this. Green beer (yeast starers) can taste good/funky but that doesn't mean that the resulting beer will be good after a month in the fermenter/bottle/keg. Some bugs take a while to take hold of a beer.
I have no scientific instruments at my disposal for brewing. Only scientific method for pure culture.
If you guys go ahead with this I recommend that you plate and pick for yeast colonies
Just a suggestion
Darren

hijacked again

righto, ive tried to be pretty bloody calm about this, but ive had enough, sure you may be trying to help, but as noted your being realy bloody negative...ive been playing with yeast for many years and i kind of know what im doing, im trying to organise this as a bit of fun, and a bit of a get together.

Its a shame peolpe like you get onto threads lkike this and just hijack them...I will do my yeast my way, the same way i have done for many years, and when i have a bad lot, i with shrug my shoulders and forget about it.... If i get a bad yeast from someone else i will shrug my shoulders again.

I always plate a new yeast, as do most yeast platers, and i dont recall anyone saying not to plate any of the little beasties that they receive, all that has been said is that if anyone has not got the tools to plate, streak or slant, just to re pitch into a starter.....am i correct?

i understand that you may be a microbiologist, but we arnt, and we are in this for fun, nothing more nothing less..

I will ask you now not to hijack this thread anymore because you are doing nothing but bringing it down

Well, I'd prefer to offer up a new pack on the day - would hate my first stuff up to wreck 10+ guys brews - small cost for the return imo... :)

Just an idea....

What if we each get a slap pack of new yeast, so we all end up with 10 new pristine yeasts, and then also bring along any other yeasts (with their history) to do swaps?

That way we all get 12mL of perfect yeast, and as much other yeast as we swap. Then the individual can make determination about what "risks" they are willing to take.

This would also mean full disclosure - i.e. for the "swap" yeasts, details of your culture/sanitation procedures including any "problems" that you may have.

* flame suit on *

:D

M

I'm with ozbrewer on this one (maybe because I slant so can select the yeast colonys I want?)

We are still going to have problems and doubts about sanitiation if we buy smack packs. Are we going to do it all together on the day so we can see how everyone else does it? what if someone has bad transfer techniques and get "bad stuff" in with the smack pack samples, we'll still be none the wiser as to it's quality?

How's this for an idea then - scrap starters and sample, instead bring a bottle of beer along with the yeast in the bottle, that way you can taste the beer that the yeast has come from and you know it's good, then everyone can make a starter from there (oh wait that sounds like the xmas case :blink: )

I have used several yeast starters from other brewers and harvested yeast from their brews and haven't had a problem yet. I understand what everyone is saying but I until I am convinved that everyones sanitation regimes are up to scratch I will have just as much doubt in a wyeast sample as in a starter/stubby.

Hoops

I think this is getting out of control

What ozbrewer wanted was a get together , meet a few brewers , have a few beers , a few laughs and swap some starters.
And I think he was hoping this could happen on a day other than the Xmas case swap.
I believe it's a top idea ozbrewer :beerbang:

And if anyone gets a srarter from Batz , I guarantee it's going to be OK

Batz

just thinking some more (a dangerous thing!) - if people are offering starters up, I think we can pretty much assume that they are sure of their procedures - otherwise why would you offer it up?!

I think keeping its simple is good - and I'm sure we can all have a good time, and those of us who know can show the rest how to do a streak to check the quality of a given yeast. A fun and educational experience for all.

I say we go for it - thanks to oz for organising it!

M

Keep it simple, It's Ozbrewers idea, so let him run it how he wants. I'm in for your method Ozbrewer and I am quite prepared to take the risk of a bad yeast, if your not don't go in the swap :) . Simple.

And yes, please stop the thread hijacking.

Andrew

mobrien said:
I think keeping its simple is good - and I'm sure we can all have a good time, and those of us who know can show the rest how to do a streak to check the quality of a given yeast. A fun and educational experience for all.

I say we go for it - thanks to oz for organising it!

M
[post="72734"][/post]​

Let's do it as it started out with Oz's idea. I have a lot to learn about yeast culturing yet so mobrien's idea sounds good to me. I can assure everyone that my procedures (& thus my starters) must be ok as I haven't had a bung beer yet. :) If anyone has any problems with my Wyeast 1028 being 2nd generation I will get another Ale yeast selected by the other contributers. :D

:beer:

thanks guys...:)

if anyone is unsure at all on how to plate im more than happy to have you over and give you a few tips and hints.......over a few beers of course.....

Latest posts

Back