• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

The Big Queensland Yeast Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sluggerdog, the tubes came from the bulk buy. I think you can get them from Livingston. do a search under yeast slants and you should find the info your looking for.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew what type of acid and at what concentration / pH are you washing the yeast in.

Brissybrew,
here is what I did, This is not my method and I have only done it twice but I had no problems with the first attempt and the yeast fermented very cleanly:
"Put yeast in a solution with pH of 2 for about 2 hours. My method is as follows: On brew day, once the boil has started, I rack the beer off my yeast starter, and transfer the yeast slurry across to a smaller vessel. I strain the slurry through a stainless steel sieve, to break up the clumps. I then use phosphoric acid to drop the pH to somewhere between 2.5 and 2. (I use 2ml of phosphoric acid per 500ml slurry). I measure the acid in a syringe and then add a drop at a time."

This information was taken from this site http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...YeastWash.shtml

Cheers
Andrew

I will have to have a think about acid washing a little more, it makes it clean but the low pH still stresses yeast somewhat.

Oh I am doing a batch of Czech Budejovice Lager (WLP802) so will probably do that for the yeast swap. I am still awaiting my second order from livingstone as well (I want to see what the reuseable needle is like for suching up yeast slurry to transfer to tubes.)

I just split my original smackpak (before smacking) into 10 test tubes & store under sterile water - I then swap 5 with a mate who does like wise with a different yeast...
I've gone off washing slurry's etc...

Ok next sunday is the yeast swap I think it would be a good idea to:
a) confirm who is comming
B) confirm location, date and time (I have no idea where Ross's place is)
c) what you are bringing, and how (container, slurry, slant, frozen etc)

cheers
frank

18 vials, first generation, washed, under sterile water hefe Weizen wlp380.
I wil be there from the day before, so not sure how I will be feeling :party: .
Cheers
Andrew

14 or so starter bottles of wyeast budvar 2000

Incase you get back home with the starter and decide you want to look up the yeast it's not on the wyeast website:

DESCRIPTION: (from wyeast)
Nice malty nose, subtle fruit. Rich malt profile on palate. Finishes malty but dry, well balanced, crisp. Hop character comes through in finish.

Flocculation - medium to high; apparent attenuation 71-75% (9-13 deg C)

OK I have just got back from a work trip. I have some 1762 under strerile water but here's the dilema, there's not a huge amount of yeast so I have 2 options:

1. Step up the yeast to make more but I may not have the time to wash it sufficiently.

2. Put what I have into vials although there will only be a small qty of yeast in each.

What do you guys think?

Hoops

Hoops said:
OK I have just got back from a work trip. I have some 1762 under strerile water but here's the dilema, there's not a huge amount of yeast so I have 2 options:

1. Step up the yeast to make more but I may not have the time to wash it sufficiently.

2. Put what I have into vials although there will only be a small qty of yeast in each.

What do you guys think?

Hoops
[post="94035"][/post]​

Vial it up Hoops, a small amount of clean yeast is better than a big amount of not so clean yeast, especially if your in a bit of a rush.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back