• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

The Big Queensland Yeast Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not in for the xcase swap but would be happy to tag along to do the yeast swap.

4th December. Shall we just set the date and be done with it.
PS I am going to start a bulk buy to get some glassware from livingstone and might come along with the glass etc at the same time?

Brizbrew said:
Ozbrewer___WY1056 American Ale
Hoops______WY1762 Belgian Abbey Ale 2
Mobrien____WY3068 Weizen
Als_world___WY1318 London Ale III
Tidalpete ___WY1028 London Ale
AndrewQld__WL380 Hefeweizen IV
Snow_______WL051 California V
Altstart_____WY2633 Oktoberfest
Batz_____WY2007 Pilsen
Ross - 2206 Bavarian Lager.
Coodgee_____WLP810/800
Brizbrew_____?
[post="72983"][/post]​

Almost time to get things ready for the yeast swap at Ross's on Dec 4th. This is the last? known list of swappers that I have come across on this thread :unsure:

So the final count is 12????
So we are each going to bring along the starter of our choice & 11 sterilised containers of our own choosing? or is that 11 stubbie starters or whatever?
What's it going to be?

:beer:

Tidalpete,

Is the swap on the morning after?? We meet on the 3rd :)

kicking myself for missing this one, you don't look at the forums for a few weeks and you miss out on everything... haha

Ross said:
ozbrewer said:
ok lets decide on a date?.....how about the 4th of dec to match up with the Xmas case.......all in favor
[post="77810"][/post]​

yep, suits me...
[post="77812"][/post]​

Looks like the 4th Ross. Is the date changed? What is the concensus re the containers (see my last post). need to know what everyone's doing if this is still a goer?

Slugger,
Last time I looked there was no limit but this needs to be finalised ASAP.

Well if there's room I'd love to be in but if not no worries. DOn't want to mess anyone up if they already have things going...

I don't care what containers everyone else is using but mine are already made up in vials under sterile water, so everyone will get a vial from me :D

Cheers
Andrew

Makes no difference to me - the 3rd or the 4th - I'm not going anywhere ;)

Just depends if everyone in the yeast swap is staying overnight from the 3rd & what they'll be feeling like the next morning!!

I'll go with the flow....

sluggerdog said:
Well if there's room I'd love to be in but if not no worries. DOn't want to mess anyone up if they already have things going...
[post="89284"][/post]​

I'm ok with you joining in Slugger if the others don't mind? What would your contribution be?

Andrew & anyone else who has made up their starters ---- any chance of an extra for Slugger? :unsure:

I think that this should be the cut-off point for the swap if everyone agrees. No more late-comers.

If there's room I'd proabably do up wyeast budvar 2000 as it is not as common as my others. I do however have wyeast pilsen lager, white labs german lager, wyeast danish lager and wyeast british ale which I could all build up into 12 starters. (would be stubbies)

If those who have already done theres then no worries if I miss out what-so-ever, should have spoke up earlier. "you snooze, you loose"

Slugger,

you can take my place - To be honest I don't really have much need for so many different yeasts. Easier for me to buy fresh & split a few times, when I need one.

I'll keep the bbq going while you guys swap samples :)

Ross said:
Slugger,

you can take my place - To be honest I don't really have much need for so many different yeasts. Easier for me to buy fresh & split a few times, when I need one.

I'll keep the bbq going while you guys swap samples :)
[post="89342"][/post]​

Cheers for that Ross.

Does anyone have a preferance for which type of yeast I supply? Ones I have available are listed above.

I haven't made mine up yet so better get my ass in gear and start feeding the litle buggers up.
I was planning on putting a few ml of yeast into some sterile test tubes that I got from Ozbrewer. There will be ample yeast to make a starter or streak from, and they take up bugger all room.

Hoops

Thought I would take a pic of the yeast cultures I have started, under sterile water and washed, first generation yeast. I have 18 of these Hefeweizen IV cultures for the swap at Ross's place.
The tube looks cloudy because it just came out of the fridge. It is crystal clear and the yeast is pure white :) .

beer_021.jpg

cheers
Andrew

Nice and clean Andrew what did you wash the yeast in, I take it you did a starter, allowed it to settle decanted, washed (acid wash?) then diluted with distilled water?
I will bring test tubes as well, saves on space.

BrissyBrew said:
Nice and clean Andrew what did you wash the yeast in, I take it you did a starter, allowed it to settle decanted, washed (acid wash?) then diluted with distilled water?
I will bring test tubes as well, saves on space.
[post="90129"][/post]​

Exactly as you said, Brissybrew. I am in the process of doing a Wit as well :p Thanks to everyone for the info on doing this.

Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Thought I would take a pic of the yeast cultures I have started, under sterile water and washed, first generation yeast. I have 18 of these Hefeweizen IV cultures for the swap at Ross's place.
The tube looks cloudy because it just came out of the fridge. It is crystal clear and the yeast is pure white :) .

View attachment 4757

cheers
Andrew
[post="90049"][/post]​

Looks like a great way to do things, I'd like to do this too. Where did you get the tubes from? Was this part of the bulk buy a while ago? Or can I get them somewhere else?

Cheers :super:

I don't think I will be in the yeast swap . most Qld. brewers would have some of my yeasts from the brew day here.

I still do starters not slants etc , suits my needs.
Be there for the xmas case and brews but !!! :beer:

Batz

Latest posts

Back