The Best Thing I Did That Improved My Kit Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
Ok... maybe I am being a little sensationalist, but I have been mucking around with kits for about 6 months (yeah I'm no veteran or anything) ... but I was using carbonation drops in my bottles, and they where turning out a bit on the fizzy side. I bought an extra 20 litre container and decided to try bulk priming & I brewed up a Coopers English Bitter. Temp control during fermentation was.... well in the warm days of Nov & Dec, I guess horrible - the temp sticker on the side measured anywhere between 16 & 26 degrees c during the first week of fermentation & not as much in the second week, but still with about 4 degrees variance.

It turned out the best brew I have done since starting back up in July 2009 - and temp control cannot be credited towards this one.

Being a new kit in their range probbly meant it was quite fresh, using 1.5kg of LDM instead of other "brewing sugars" probbably helped with it's body and smoothness, using Morgans ale yeast instead of the kit yeast might have added something to the character (or not), and filling my fermenter to 18 litres instead of 23 may have helped with flavour and such ... but the thing that has stood out with this beer is that in my mouth it feels like a beer & not a fizzy drink! And it settles in the glass like a Kilkenny (if I pour it from the bottle from a distance of about 10 - 15cm).

Maybe I just hit a "magic" combination .... It could be true because at the same time and in the same conditions I brewed a Tooheys Dark ale with 0.5kg LDM + 0.5kg of Dex & used the kit yeast ... bulk primed it the same as the Coopers English Bitter .... well the Tooheys Dark, whilst I am happy with it's carbonation, it aint got no body to it, it don't hold no head, has this finish to it that is just ... ummm ... sort of sweet I guess, but not the sweetness you associate with a porter ... hey it is beer and I'll drink it & I will try it again with different yeast and more malt instead of dex ... but with bulk priming my Coppers English Bitter I think I just turned a reasonable beer into a rather frikken enjoyable one!

Ok... maybe I am being a little sensationalist, but I have been mucking around with kits for about 6 months (yeah I'm no veteran or anything) ... but I was using carbonation drops in my bottles, and they where turning out a bit on the fizzy side. I bought an extra 20 litre container and decided to try bulk priming & I brewed up a Coopers English Bitter. Temp control during fermentation was.... well in the warm days of Nov & Dec, I guess horrible - the temp sticker on the side measured anywhere between 16 & 26 degrees c during the first week of fermentation & not as much in the second week, but still with about 4 degrees variance.

It turned out the best brew I have done since starting back up in July 2009 - and temp control cannot be credited towards this one.

Being a new kit in their range probbly meant it was quite fresh, using 1.5kg of LDM instead of other "brewing sugars" probbably helped with it's body and smoothness, using Morgans ale yeast instead of the kit yeast might have added something to the character (or not), and filling my fermenter to 18 litres instead of 23 may have helped with flavour and such ... but the thing that has stood out with this beer is that in my mouth it feels like a beer & not a fizzy drink! And it settles in the glass like a Kilkenny (if I pour it from the bottle from a distance of about 10 - 15cm).

Maybe I just hit a "magic" combination .... It could be true because at the same time and in the same conditions I brewed a Tooheys Dark ale with 0.5kg LDM + 0.5kg of Dex & used the kit yeast ... bulk primed it the same as the Coopers English Bitter .... well the Tooheys Dark, whilst I am happy with it's carbonation, it aint got no body to it, it don't hold no head, has this finish to it that is just ... ummm ... sort of sweet I guess, but not the sweetness you associate with a porter ... hey it is beer and I'll drink it & I will try it again with different yeast and more malt instead of dex ... but with bulk priming my Coppers English Bitter I think I just turned a reasonable beer into a rather frikken enjoyable one!
Good Job! I have been bulk priming since I brewed my Porter I primed it at 2.0 instead of 2.4 and Neill's Centenarillo Pale Ale I primed at 2.4.

I have a Dunkel Hefeweizen I have planned next and I think I will go upto 3.0 for that.

I have only bottled three brews so far and went to bulk priming on my second effort. I use 240 grams of Coopers BE2. Great smooth head and great head retention. I won't be going back to bottle priming

Simon

Bulk priming is great for the sheer convenience, however you have to make sure you give it a good stir during the process. The sugar/dextrose mixture is a lot denser than your green beer. So your first bottles can end up over carbed and your last under as the sugar water will sink straight to the bottom.

Not saying any of the above have got it wrong, just pointing out to others who may be wanting to take up bulk priming.

Best thing I did to improve my kit beer was to buy unhopped cans and add real hops.

Best thing I did was to go into partial brews using stuff I already had at home and a $16 decor container from Woolies plus a $10 stockpot from Sam's Warehouse. It improved my beers way out of sight. My favourite line was my "Bribie Bitter" made from a bland kit like a Canadian, plus a couple of kilos of mashed grains, a good yeast and some nice finishing hops. avatar_beer.JPG Then after a few months I realised that if I was going to spend two or three hours on a brew I might as well go the next step and get an all grain setup.

Then Kevvie stimulated me and the rest is history :D

Bulk priming is definitely something that has improved my drops. I still am of the firm belief that due to starting brewing at home (12 months this week) and having so many bottles to be filled it meant that by the time i had filled these with my first half dozen brews the first brew had nearly two months under it's belt in storage...magnificent. Single best improvement you could make BEFORE you ever try this.

So many of my mates have given up due to brew too high, wait two weeks to the hour, tastes crap, give up. And they can't be told!

Maybe not the BEST thing,, but certainly one of the easiest things I did to improve my beers was to buy/get more bottles. Then I could brew more, and leave it to condition longer. Now I've got a nice buffer going I don't really open the first of a batch until it's 1-2 months old, and it's easy to let something darker go for three to four months without resorting to commercial beers.

Yeah I scored the other day, Guy lives right behind me his sun in law drinks like 60 long necks a week!!! I seen them in his yard (7 bags full) and asked if he home brewed (wanted to know where he got the bottles from) he replied no these bottles are my son inlaws opened the recycling and it was full of tallies (JACK POT!!) took about 35 home with me plan to do a few trips tomorrow as I was working at the time and could only carry a few bags lol

haha yeah well long as he lasts a few more weeks I am set :lol:

I'm looking forward to drinking some of my bulk primed brews. I used the crappy little scoop I got with my 1st fermenter for a while, went to carbonation drops for a while. Now that I have 5 fermenters & only room in the bath for 3 of them I couldn't see a reason not to bulk prime.

+ 1 on bulk priming

+ 2 on aging

+ 10 on unhopped extract and hop additions.

I also found putting the bottling straw on a 4ft length of hose made the whole bottling process a lot quicker, moving the straw to the bottles rather than bottles to straw.

Temperature control is the next step - I've got the fridge, just need to sort the control.

Temp control = win

Even ferment temps all year, ramping / steps possible, crash chilling for clarity

All possible with an ebay temp controller and a 2nd hand fridge

:D :D :D

+ 10 on unhopped extract and hop additions.

I don't mean to single you out as I know a few people have made this point but the above is pretty dumb. "The best thing I did that improved my kit beers was not to brew kits anymore." :blink:

Back