The Best Brewing Books?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local library obtained Palmer's 3rd edition of How To Brew. I was the first borrower, and after constantly renewing my loan, I eventually bought my own copy on a trip down to Sydney. I know it's on the net, but it's much more accessible in hard copy form. I love the book.

My local library obtained Palmer's 3rd edition of How To Brew. I was the first borrower, and after constantly renewing my loan, I eventually bought my own copy on a trip down to Sydney. I know it's on the net, but it's much more accessible in hard copy form. I love the book.

I looked for Palmer while I was at the bookshop. Their catalogue promised me a copy but be stuffed if I, or any of their staff could find it on the shelf :angry:

Have struck Snyder off the list.

Thanks Guys (and Gals where applicable) ;) .

Festa.

see this thread for a discussion on brew books.

For my 2c

How to brew (rodgers-wilson) - not a bad book for an absolute beginer BUT as Warrenlw63 says it end up not being overly encouraging past K&K and steers you towards products that suit the author. (Author runs/ran/affiliated with a store).

I have Palmers 4th Ed. Im not allowed to read it yet as its a xmas present :( but form what i hear its a great allround book. so its one that you should have as part of your core material

The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia - LAURIE STRACHAN is also meant to be good. But harder to get. I tried Grain & Grape but they keep being out of stock. they at least stock it though.

Brew like a monk and radcal brewing are probably for those who want to extend their brewing horizons. Im planning to get copies eventually.

see this thread for a discussion on brew books.

For my 2c

How to brew (rodgers-wilson) - not a bad book for an absolute beginer BUT as Warrenlw63 says it end up not being overly encouraging past K&K and steers you towards products that suit the author. (Author runs/ran/affiliated with a store).

I have Palmers 4th Ed. Im not allowed to read it yet as its a xmas present :( but form what i hear its a great allround book. so its one that you should have as part of your core material

The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia - LAURIE STRACHAN is also meant to be good. But harder to get. I tried Grain & Grape but they keep being out of stock. they at least stock it though.

Brew like a monk and radcal brewing are probably for those who want to extend their brewing horizons. Im planning to get copies eventually.

Just a heads up for any campbelltown folk, Campbelltown library stock "The complete guide to brewing in Australia," well not right now. I've got it out at moment but am returning it tomorrow with a couple other books which weren't as good.

Plus I just got "Home Brewing - the camra guide" today which seems to be really good at first glance. Learnt something new on second page I turned to. Can't beat that.

I've got Laurie Strachan's first book from when I first started brewing kits in the early 90's and the much enlarged second book from 2006(?) which is more about the classic styles than brewing. I found the first informative when I was doing kits and the second is great now that I have delusions of graindeur and am expanding my understanding of styles.

Neither books are aimed at the advancing brewer though, and that's where places like AHB come in. I've learn't more in the last few weeks from the brainstrust hereabouts than from anywhere else.

grant

Latest posts

Back