The Bar Shawn Built, Well Nearly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnheiderich

Reaction score
Here is some pics of the bar I am putting together ready for my keg set up. My plans are so far1. Frezer to sit inside bar, how it looks in the photo2. Bar top to be on a hinge seperate to frezer top3. Kegs with beer inside 4. something to pour the beer5. gas of some sort6. On wheels to sit in the family room / bar but be able to move out to the patio / bar quite easily.Just winging it at the moment. I will post pics as I go along.Spent $70 on wood and screws so far, I will try and get it all in under $800 inc keg gear.Shawn

Photo0016.jpg

Best of luck with the setup mate...

Although I have budgeted nearly $700 to setup my kegs without building a bar. but that includes buying a gas bottle.

Very nice start, I like where this is going. You got plans for a top and siding yet?

- boingk

pine tongue and grooved boards only cost me $50

christmas_and_bar_photos_001.jpg

christmas_and_bar_photos_001.jpg

Great job so far mate looks the shit. I wish that I had that skill working with timber

Looks good so far and remember if it doesn't turn out you could put a aquarium on top.Lol Are you going to stain the pine a natural colour?

Andrew

Nothing firm yet but maybe a free hardwood top on the way and mini orb for the front. I will stain whatever is visible. I like the idea of a foot rail as well. I have a party at the end of May and it will be up and running by then.. I will just see how it comes together.

I have tought of the old fashion copper beaten look as well for the front pannel (70's look) but who knows.

Shawn

The pine tongue and groove turns out great with a cedar or teak finish, made a teppan yaki bar from it after balking at $1500 from Bunnings for one. Can't wait to see more progress. I can feel a new project coming on. Can you make up some key points and identify any problems and how you get over them. it looks great!

Ok so I had the day off and finished the frame on my bar here is a pic. :D

Photo0024.jpg

Materials use so far

all timber 1.8m and normal grade ? (indoor use or seal)

2 by 70mm by 70mm base
2 by 35mm by 35 mm base
1 by 90mm by 19 mm base

6 by 90mm by 19mm by 1000mm for uprights (left over 800mm used as bracing)

2 by 45mm by 45mm for top
1 by 35mm by 35 mm for top

used 38mm wood screws except for bse where 50mm is appropriate.

Photo0022.jpg

some thought's

go 1.8 m as that is the common length at Bunnings (and others I assume) therefore no wastage, next size up 2.4m

800mm is a touch wide but I am sure I will feel ok sitting behind it

the timber and the joints I made feel really strong all glue and screw (liquid nails)

looking forward to getting the mini orb on in the next few weeks and finishing off with a top of some description (free and hard wood I hope)

total cost so far just on $100

Hope these posts help others

Shawn

Photo0023.jpg

Shawn H,
Excellent work. I showed a mate and it has inspired him to build his own based on yours although he doesn't know what fridge unit he will go for. With the bench top, how many taps will you have running and how many kegs can you get in that freezer? With the whole bar top hinged for accessing freezer, you don't want to be in the middle of a session with your mates and have to move everything off the bar to changes lines etc.

Just a quick update with a pic of the front of the bar 90% complete. Used mini orb from bunnings (again 1.8m length is ideal) and some tassie hardwood for the edging takes the total cost to just under $150 so far. The sides will be done the same way.
Ben BI am going to have the top hinged I guess if I need to change a keg people can move their beer, should not be to much hassle.The whole project is winging it so I assume I will fit in two corny's and one 23l keg in the freezer. I am planning(?) on two or three taps maybe a font?Just enjoying time in the shed so I dont want to plan to much :D I will post another pic when the sides are done.

Photo0111.jpg

Where abouts do bunnings have their micro corrugated? ive looked a few times!

Generally outside near the building supplies, with the other sheet metal.

Looking good Shawn.

Knowing that freezers don't last forever, can the freezer be removed easily?

Thinking of going down a similar route, but was thinking of something that can be pulled down in a few hours to replace the freezer.

Yep freezer comes straight out of the back, just needs to be on a bit of an angle with the bar top open (when it is finaly on). It could pull straight out if the top was 20mm higher, I may just take 20mm off of the top rail. All is good though I think the height is right and I think most freezers are about 900mm high.

Shawn

Back