The Art Of Brewing 1863

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for bumping the thread, that blog is another excellent resource. I'll allocate several hours to read and drool my way through all the masses of articles over the weekend :)

I have the book too Doc, lots of great recipes that need time for maturing. I'd recommend it.
I brewed W Youngers Ale No 3 from the book, OG 1076 IBU 122. Still got 3 months to make it to the 6 months maturation they recommend but I have had many preliminary tastings and I am pretty stoked with the results.

That sounds awesome.
Looking forward to doing a historical brew.

Doc

I have the book too Doc, lots of great recipes that need time for maturing. I'd recommend it.
I brewed W Youngers Ale No 3 from the book, OG 1076 IBU 122. Still got 3 months to make it to the 6 months maturation they recommend but I have had many preliminary tastings and I am pretty stoked with the results.

I'm back on the radar.
Been off work and out of action for the last month, but I'm finally back.
Looking to revive my historic brew.

How is yours tasting TDA ?

Doc

Looking to maybe knock this one off tomorrow.
Anyone done something historic like this recently ?

TDA how did yours turn out ??

Doc

<hijack>

re: historical, I yearn for the full flavoured matured beers of Victorian Britain but there's also a bit of historical recreation to accomplish with Australian traditional brews as well and I recently did a Coopers style sparkling but really upped the malt flavour and made it more golden / copper like Coopers was in the 70s before it got trendy and they lightened it. I tasted off a bottle against a tallie of bottle shop CSA with my two sons this afternoon and they were very impressed ( gen Y and looooove Heineken and Corona)

Also I'm exploring lagers that are more like the Carlton I remember from the 70s.

It's great that we have good solid info on UK brewing, but a pity that this does not exist for the long brewing tradition in our own country. Being a mere outpost of the great empire I suppose the brewers of the 19th and early 20th centuries felt an enormous cultural cringe about their methods and ingredients so nobody bothered to document it. Despite the development of really unique and not too bad brews- by international standards - such as Tooths KB, Cascade Pale Ale, and the original Fosters.

Sad loss of heritage

<end hijack>

Back