The Art Of Brewing 1863

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Came across an excellent site about British Beers of the 18th and 19th centuries, and about three quarters of the way down the page is a scan of William Loftus, The Art of Brewing, 1863.

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beerale.htm#loftusb

When you get used to the style of language you can read it like today's paper and it's fascinating to realise that if Loftus were to hop in his time machine and visit AG brewers today, he would be absolutely at home and could offer perfect advice.

It's interesting that their brewing was based on doing three mashes with the same grain bill, and no 'sparging' as we do today. First mash would yield a jungle-juice strength of beer, the second a 'normal' strength and the third mash would yield a small beer, or 'table beer'.

It's also interesting that they didn't know about bacteria and apparently didn't realise that yeast was a single celled organism but they managed just fine, nonetheless.

A brilliant read

Ron P. is an extremely knowledgeable guy on the history of brewing in the UK - not to mention the world! His guide helped me find a few places in Germany that weren't well noted elsewhere.

As you said, Partigyle brewing was common place back then. But don't forget some breweries still do it! Anchor in the US is a good example, Old Forghorn and Anchor Small are two beers produced from the same mash.

:icon_drool2: well done my son! Hours of reading pleasure!

The Art of Brewing part was great. Things haven't changed all that much!

if Loftus were to hop in his time machine

Have not had a read yet but they hopped in time machines? What effect did that have on the beer? Is that like dry hopping or using a hop back?

I did book mark the page so I can have a read later. Post more like it who ever finds them.

1938 stout recipe (@ the bottom of the page)

Anyone care to Decipher the recipe?!? :D

Be good if we could get a real recipe of a porter. Instead there are no known traces of what a traditional porter tasted like. :( Insead we are stuck with the Allsorts of a modern porter! (not that thats a bad thing!)

Be good if we could get a real recipe of a porter. Instead there are no known traces of what a traditional porter tasted like. :( Insead we are stuck with the Allsorts of a modern porter! (not that thats a bad thing!)
I haven't searched for it just now, I will if I remember, but there are a couple of historical recipes floating around. You can't necessarily get it exactly close due to the differences in malt and malting,amongst other things, but they have some idea. I think Flag Porter was one? Try searching for that if you can't wait for me or someone else to remember :)

Yeah flag porter, as far as im aware its a modern porter brewed with the 19th century yeast, abit like a 1000 year old axe handle been repalced 40 times and the head 17 but its still the same old axe. :D

The intrest i have is to find out the malt bill and hopping.

A great job by Legends nonetheless

You might get some help here http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/ if you are interested in the history of British Brewing and
also old British beer recipes. They also produce a book of old recipes.

Regards

Graeme

Yeah flag porter, as far as im aware its a modern porter brewed with the 19th century yeast, abit like a 1000 year old axe handle been repalced 40 times and the head 17 but its still the same old axe. :D

The intrest i have is to find out the malt bill and hopping.

A great job by Legends nonetheless

Ah, I thought they used an old recipe too.

This site has heaps of old british beer recipes, including this one for Whitbread London Porter 1850, and also details about methods etc. so that might point you closer?

Ah, I thought they used an old recipe too.

This site has heaps of old british beer recipes, including this one for Whitbread London Porter 1850, and also details about methods etc. so that might point you closer?

Most of the beer recipes in your link above belong to Durden Park Beer Circle whose site I quoted in my last post.

Most of the beer recipes in your link above belong to Durden Park Beer Circle whose site I quoted in my last post.

True, in fact all of the historical ones do...
But the site I linked to has them all listed, with the permission of the Durden people, whereas the Durden has just a selection, as far as I could see...

Lots of good info regardless!

Another good read from even earlier (before they invented the short book title) -

The Closet of the Eminently Learned Kenelm Digby Knight Opened: whereby is discovered several ways for making of Metheglyn, Sider, Cherry Wine etc together with excellent directions for cookery as also for preserving, conserving, candying etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441/16441-h/16441-h.htm

Published in 1669 but written around 1630-1650. Mostly meads but some beers/ales. It is interesting to note that even then there was a clear distinction between beer yeast and ale yeast so they were cultivating different strains with different properties (even though they didn't know what yeast was back then).

The 1600s spelling is a bit hard to wade through though...

(the introduction)
TO THE READER

This Collection full of pleasing variety, and of such usefulness in the Generality of it, to the Publique, coming to my hands, I should, had I forborn the Publication thereof, have trespassed in a very considerable concern upon my Countrey-men, The like having not in every particular appeared in Print in the English tongue. There needs no Rhetoricating Floscules to set it off. The Authour, as is well known, having been a Person of Eminency for his Learning, and of Exquisite Curiosity in his Researches, Even that Incomparable Sir Kenelme Digbie Knight, Fellow of the Royal Society and Chancellour to the Queen Mother, (Et omen in Nomine) His name does sufficiently Auspicate the Work. I shall only therefore add, That there is herein (as by the Table hereunto affix'd will evidently to thee appear) a sufficiency of Solids as well as Liquids for the sating the Curiosities of each or the nicest Palate; and according to that old Saw in the Regiment of Health, Incipe cum Liquido, &c. The Liquids premitted to the Solids. These being so Excellent in their kinde, so beneficial and so well ordered, I think it unhandsome, if not injurious, by the trouble of any further Discourse, to detain thee any longer from falling to; Fall to therefore, and much good may it do thee,

Does anyone actually have the Durden Park Beer Circle book Old British Beers and how to make them ?
I've found references to a brew made by Cobb & Co brewery. It is listes as Cobb-Margate Pale Amber beer (OG 1.080 IBU 130) that has my interest. Wondering if the recipe is in this book ?

Doc

Doc,

is this the one???

Rob.

85. Amber Ale (1823) Brewing Books, Cobb & Co., Margate

OG 81

Popular Amber Ale Recipe

2 lb 10 oz Pale Malt
1 1/4 lb Amber Malt
1.45oz Fuggles

Mature 4-5 months

there are some other Cobb & Co ones as well if interested lemme know and i'll include them here.

82 Dark Amber Ale (1812) Memoranda Books, Cobb & Co. Margate

OG 76

A brown ale to die for.

3 lb 5 oz Pale Amber Malt
3.4 Oz Brown Malt
2 1/4 oz Fuggles

Mature for 7-8 Months

Awesome.
Thanks Rob.

Yeah, that sounds close.
The description I have is Pale Amber OG 80 IBU 130 Colour Pale Amber.
Sounds close except for the description of Dark Amber.

Doc

I have the book too Doc, lots of great recipes that need time for maturing. I'd recommend it.
I brewed W Youngers Ale No 3 from the book, OG 1076 IBU 122. Still got 3 months to make it to the 6 months maturation they recommend but I have had many preliminary tastings and I am pretty stoked with the results.

C&B
TDA

Back