Thats It! I've Had Enough! I Quit!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Folks

Ever had one of those days where you really feel like telling your boss where to stick their job? Well, after months of putting up with crap I actually did it. I quit. I finish work at the end of the week so as of Friday I am officially unemployed.

Actually, to per 100% correct I am officially self employed. I am setting up my own business. Although until I can build things up, financially its pretty much the same as unemployment but without the government benefits.

I'm sick of big companies doing stupid things (when adding 3 extra layers of management didn't speed up project delivery, they decided to speed things up by setting up another 4 oversight committees... I'm not kidding... I couldn't make this stuff up) so its self employment for me from now on. Well until the food runs out anyway.

And no, my new venture isn't brewing related. I will post some details here once I have things set up...

Cheers
Dave

All the best with the new venture Dave.

I totally understand frustration at workplaces with too many Chiefs, and not enough Indians.

Add in regular restructures, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Way to stick it to the man!

Well done for taking the dive. All the best!

You know... there are days when I look at my home baked bread, home made cheese, the bottles of jam cooling on the bench, the vege garden out the back... and half expect Felicity Kendal to walk in through the front door. All I need are a few chooks and some pigs and I could do it.

@NME - My thinking was that if I was going to be working for the man for the rest of my life, that man should be me.

Cheers]
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
You know... there are days when I look at my home baked bread, home made cheese, the bottles of jam cooling on the bench, the vege garden out the back... and half expect Felicity Kendal to walk in through the front door. All I need are a few chooks and some pigs and I could do it.

Wouldn't be so bad if she still looked like that today. I reckon Brewer Pete's probably pretty close.

Life's too short to work for arseholes mate. Good luck with it.

I totally get it. Large organisations attract people who know how to dress the part, play the politics, adopt the jargon, spew forth impressive statements, look busy...
but don't have a freaking clue.

They often congregate at executive level. They adopt the latest cliches in management approach (remember the downsizing 'fashion' of the 90s?) without any real understanding of its applicability to the organisation, because action always looks like you know where you're going. And they create artificial deadlines as a security blanket, without a clue about the complexity they are messing with...

The people who really get it keep the organisation going despite the collective stupidity around them.

I've outlasted a lot of that in my own organisation, but only because what i do matters to me.

Enjoy your freedom.

Well done, Dave! I've been trying to work up the courage to do the same weeks (the quitting, not the business thing). So after putting it off and putting it off I hear noises today that we're all gonna get the arse anyway. Weak.

All the best for the new venture, bloke. And...uh...let me know if you need anyone???

You don't work for Egyptians by any chance do you ?
If they do something wrong it is always your fault no matter what.

Nuff said

fully undrstand,i,d had enough bs from my last boss so i told him to build houses on his own,he grabbed me and said "but you dont understand you c%&*.
i said touch me again and you WILL understand c%&*.
ohhh happy days..cheers.....spog......
Folks

Ever had one of those days where you really feel like telling your boss where to stick their job? Well, after months of putting up with crap I actually did it. I quit. I finish work at the end of the week so as of Friday I am officially unemployed.

Actually, to per 100% correct I am officially self employed. I am setting up my own business. Although until I can build things up, financially its pretty much the same as unemployment but without the government benefits.

I'm sick of big companies doing stupid things (when adding 3 extra layers of management didn't speed up project delivery, they decided to speed things up by setting up another 4 oversight committees... I'm not kidding... I couldn't make this stuff up) so its self employment for me from now on. Well until the food runs out anyway.

And no, my new venture isn't brewing related. I will post some details here once I have things set up...

Cheers
Dave

Folks

Cheers
Dave

Sounds so much like Shell and BP except the payoffs and pensions are better. The f***s up are much bigger but the Contractors get the blame. See the Gulf of Mexico debacle of how not to do anything in a crisis. Hold a conference call to decide to go to the toilet.

<quote>Life's too short to work for arseholes mate. Good luck with it. </quote>

A most certainly agree. I left my Job in December to do my own thing solo. Luckily I don't need alot of
infrastructure to do self employed contract work. I also get to write everything off on Tax it is sensational.
The first few months were tough but After that the work started to trickle through and now Im on a long
running job with hopefully alot more to come.

Good luck bud!

you don't have to worry about this shite with working shutdowns, get uppa for 6 to 8 weeks, ignore everyone especially the safety knobs, do your thing, finish the job and go and have a few weeks off before the next one B)

Airgead, well done.

You have done what many dream of, yet at the same time are petrified of.

You have grown a set of big ones and said 'This sucks, I'm off!'

More power to you!

I have only seen a handful of people do it, but they have all been
driven individuals who have gone far.

Sounds like you're one of them. All the best.

Hopper.

Thanks for the good wishes folks. I finished work last Friday so today is my first day of self(um) employment. I guess this is what something like skydiving feels like - exhilarating, exciting and absolutely brown trousers terrifying all that the same time.

So what an I doing I hear you ask?

Two things. I never did like to make things easy for myself so I'm starting two businesses.

Business number 1 - Greenhouse gas auditing. I am getting accreditation as a lead auditor in the ISO 14XXX series (Environmental management and greenhouse gas). I am also doing the NABERS assessor certification for commercial buildings. Once accredited I will be working with businesses large and small to help them improve their energy efficiency and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. And save a bug wad of ash as well.

Business number 2 - As certification will take a while and I need to eat in the mean time, please allow me to introduce Don't Panic IT Solutions. IT services for small businesses. Onsite or phone support, software and hardware advice and installations. If you run a small business and want IT advice, give me a yell. Special rates for fellow brewers... (Apologies for the shameless plug... I need all the free advertising I can get at the moment). The website should go live in the next day or 2 once the new phone line is hooked up and I have a number I can put on there.

Fridge_Magnet.png

Cheers
Dave

My thinking was that if I was going to be working for the man for the rest of my life, that man should be me.

Well after 5 years of be-littleing (i think thats how its spelt!) i handed my notice into my boss on wednesday. This is a man who somehow got me to buy a house so i had a $400K+ mortage, so i had no money and NEEDED to work with (A very good-paying.....)arsehole. Everyday i would have to argue with him (my views on the ins-and-outs of the metal-machining trade), he would call me stupid, say i don't think and HE ALWAYS has to win! If he admitted he was wrong (very rarely) he would admit to it, but NEVER apologise. The last straw was taken when he said my wife should take better care of my kids, then i wouldn't have to spend so much time going to-and-from work as often (my youngest son is fed through a tube in his nose, as he has had a looong medical history starting from birth. He pulls his tube out, I have to go home, put it back in). After he said this I knew it was time for another job!

As it turns out I scored a job 10mins from home (instead of 30-45 Mins) Same hrly rate, and get to work 1/2 day on sat aswell ($$$$$ :) ).

All the best with your new venture mate! I wish you well. I just thought i'd let u know that there are bigger arseholes out there.

_wallace_

They adopt the latest cliches in management approach (remember the downsizing 'fashion' of the 90s?) without any real understanding of its applicability to the organisation, because action always looks like you know where you're going.

Even better way the late 90's "No - we're not downsizing - we're Rightsizing"

And they create artificial deadlines as a security blanket, without a clue about the complexity they are messing with...

That alone has probably led to the biggest waste of working hours on the planet! I've lost count of the number of times I've explained that trying to deliver a project earlier than it can actually be delivered inevitably leads to it going over budget on time and money....

Sigh...

"Thats It! I've Had Enough! I Quit!, Chucked my job in... my god what have I done?"

I'm about to do this... to chase a dream...more to come soon..

JD

Latest posts

Back