Tettnanger Rhizomes For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt white

Reaction score
Home grown hop lovers,

I have had a dig around my hop garden late this arvo and have discovered a few rhizomes that are big enough to pass on to keen customers. It appears that there may be a demand for them in this apparent time of shortage.

If you are interested drop me a PM and I'll work something out with you. Again, first in best dressed.

Gil

Anyone tried these though? Do they taste like european tett?

I bought them off Stewart Ferguson from Tasmania 4 years ago as Tettnanger, take them or leave them.

I bought them off Stewart Ferguson from Tasmania 4 years ago as Tettnanger, take them or leave them.

Take them or leave them?

You're kidding right?

Post some detail of the results YOU have obtained over the past 4 years.

Duff clearly has some point to prove here. Come up with it straight mate! What do you know about tettnanger that us mere mortals dont?

To be honest to potential customers I dont run a business and havent looked into it with such detail as you obviously have (lowtech). I just grow them and make beer form them. I trusted Stewart (perhaps naively) that it was tettnanger one way or the other. I havent had any chemical analysis on the flowers that I have produced. I also have never researched variety differences between continental origins etc

That said, I havent had a great deal of success with my"so called" tettnanger compared to POR or chinook. I have grown flowers that produced great beers but as with all my hops have not had a clear idea of AAU.

I put it down to climate, I live at the base of the Snowy Mountains. POR and chinook have boomed, but tettnanger has produced only a small proportion of flowers when compared with the others. The rhizomes are now huge, given that they have been in the ground for 4 years. I am keen to see if it is a varietal or climatic problem.

Maybe Duff can shed some light rather than point scoring from afar.

Duff clearly has some point to prove here. Come up with it straight mate! What do you know about tettnanger that us mere mortals dont?

To be honest to potential customers I dont run a business and havent looked into it with such detail as you obviously have (lowtech). I just grow them and make beer form them. I trusted Stewart (perhaps naively) that it was tettnanger one way or the other. I havent had any chemical analysis on the flowers that I have produced. I also have never researched variety differences between continental origins etc

That said, I havent had a great deal of success with my"so called" tettnanger compared to POR or chinook. I have grown flowers that produced great beers but as with all my hops have not had a clear idea of AAU.

I put it down to climate, I live at the base of the Snowy Mountains. POR and chinook have boomed, but tettnanger has produced only a small proportion of flowers when compared with the others. The rhizomes are now huge, given that they have been in the ground for 4 years. I am keen to see if it is a varietal or climatic problem.

Maybe Duff can shed some light rather than point scoring from afar.
You could check the leaf /cone shape etc on one of the very good sites on the net and do a comparison.Thats assuming that you can still have some to compare, I dont see stewart leading you astray.Im in for a try anyway and good on you for putting them up for us guys.
GB

Gilbrew, I think all Duff wants to know is which of Tettnanger or Fuggles did they taste like?

I say thanks Gilbrew for putting up your rhizomes for sale.
What we have to realise...is that the hop shortage is going to last for 2 maybe 3 years.
When/how are you going to pay for it ????

Im only a hack brewer, not a conniesseur, I havent tried it out to see if there is a difference but will gladly do some research. I'll let you know.

Gilbrew, I think all Duff wants to know is which of Tettnanger or Fuggles did they taste like?

Back