Testing Gravity From The Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannibal Smurf

Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been asked and answered before, but after an hour of searching I can't find anything.

What is the best way to get a sample from my fermenter for testing gravity? Opening the lid and using a sanitised pipette or sanitise the tap and pour a sample into a cup.
I'm using a refrac. so only need a small sample.

Draw samples from the tap. Discard the first half a glass to clear the sample of suspended yeast. Best not to open the lid as you run the risk of airborne particles falling in, hair/skin falling off your arm, dropping the pipette in, etc.

I'm sure this has probably been asked and answered before, but after an hour of searching I can't find anything.

What is the best way to get a sample from my fermenter for testing gravity? Opening the lid and using a sanitised pipette or sanitise the tap and pour a sample into a cup.
I'm using a refrac. so only need a small sample.

pour from the tap. You don't need to sanitize the tap as you just throw away the sample. Although I'd suggest having at least a small sip though :)

I take samples from the tap. No rinse sanitiser sprayed on before and after.

Ok, it tastes like beer.
OG 1.042 last suday
SG 1.020 on thursday
SG 1.020 today
Using my refractometer

Punched the numbers into Beersmith (because I just read a thread saying refractometer reading are messed up by alcohol%) and it tells me the actual SG is 1.006, is it possible that my 19L batch has completed fermenting in under 7 days?

Used a full smack pack of Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

You need to remember that your refractometer does not tell you the specific gravity, it correlates well to specific gravity for wort and beer provided you know the alcohol content.

It's very possble it finished in under 7 days (in fact, it HAS finished in under 7 days). Ales can take down to 2-3 days to finish fermenting if the yeast is handled well. I'm assuming it was an ale?

You need to remember that your refractometer does not tell you the specific gravity, it correlates well to specific gravity for wort and beer provided you know the alcohol content.

That's why I used the beersmith tool :)

It's very possble it finished in under 7 days (in fact, it HAS finished in under 7 days). Ales can take down to 2-3 days to finish fermenting if the yeast is handled well.

Awesome, now I have to get my shiznit together and either bottle it or bunnings sprayer keg it.

I'm assuming it was an ale?

Me too ;) Doc's Bavarian Weizen... is it an ale?

Yep, weizen yeasts are ale yeasts. They ferment quickly and are best drunk fresh! You'd best get your shiznit moving.

It can be as simple as wacking it under the fermentor valve and dropping a couple drops onto it.

I spray inside the fermenter nozzle with metho before and after to make sure no nasties can get back in.

2c.

Latest posts

Back