Terrigal & Hunter Valley Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
The family and I are off to Terrigal on Friday for a week holiday and visiting relos. I have family near Cessnock and will be going to visit them. I may also go upto to Denman for a look around.

So apart from the Potter's Brewery where else is a good place to have a look in the area?

Kirk

The family and I are off to Terrigal on Friday for a week holiday and visiting relos. I have family near Cessnock and will be going to visit them. I may also go upto to Denman for a look around.

So apart from the Potter's Brewery where else is a good place to have a look in the area?

Kirk

Pick a nice day, and plan to spend the closing hours of the day out at Keith Tullocks winery - they have a magnificent tasting room that overlooks the area, and makes for a great sunset if they're open at the time!

(I do know Keith, but have no financial or other interests in having you visit there particularly! )

Andy

The Lovedale Long Lunch is on this weekend

SWMBO is orginally from Singleton so we are heading up on Friday night

I went last year and got really flogged - It's a fun day!

Basically a bunch of wineries on a road called lovedale have entertainment, food etc

Here's the specifics http://www.lovedalelonglunch.com.au/how.html

I'm gonna swing past Potters as well at some point

Cheers

Whilst their styles are pretty mainstream, you may as well visit the Blue Tongue Brewery cafe.

www.hunterresort.com.au/bluetongue/index.htm

Wineries, wineries and more wineries.... get into the wine mood. There is plenty of us to visit.

I work in the wine industry and although I am very fond of one of Australia's gifts to the wine world - good Hunter Aged Semillon, I don't really want to spend much of my holiday doing what I do day in-day out and taste wine. I have a few things lined up for wine tasting and was lookign for any hidden secrets in the brewing world.

Do yourself a favour and don't bother with Blue Tongue Brewery.

I second SJW
Stick with Potters. if they have their Oktoberfest still on tap, it is an excellent drop. All their beers are actually, and the brewer Luke, and assistant brewers Josh and Kieth are knowledgable and very friendly.
Have fun
Trent
PS Dont miss Brokenwood, tell em you work in the industry, and ask if they have any bottles of mistress or graveyard open - 2 of the best single vineyard shiraz's in the whole Hunter (if not the country), but much chewier than the barossa reds. Not on the regular tasting list, but they may let ya try if ya get a good salesperson.

I know Brokenwood quite well. They make great wines and most of them come from outside the Hunter! I have most of their wines in my cellar. Their winemaker PJ used to work for my current employer and he showed me the ropes of judging at my first wine show in Rutherglen.

Has anyone eaten at Potters?

Are there any other craft breweries maybe in Newcastle. I thought there was another craft brewery in the hunter?

Has anyone eaten at Potters?

Are there any other craft breweries maybe in Newcastle. I thought there was another craft brewery in the hunter?

Potters food isn't bad - standard pub fare with a bit of a "beer in the food" slant. Beef and beer pie and all that. Not bad and reasonably priced.

As for other craft breweries, there is the Steel River Brewery in Newcastle. I haven't been there and I haven't heard of anyone who has. They only make one beer that I'm aware of, just another average lager. There are no other breweries apart from Bluetongue. Potters is really the highlight.

Wine's for startin' cars & runnin' buses. Beer is for drinkin'......... :eek:

:lol:

Hey Pokolbinguy

I remember you saying that you work at one of the wineries in the hunter

Which one is it?

Cheers

Cortez The Killer,

I work for McWilliams at Mount Pleasant. Very well known winery and wines. I'm in the cellar door every fri/sat/sunday.

Feel free to come by and say hi and I'm sure I can look after you.

Pok

OT: McWilliams owns the very essense of what made Australian wine what it is today, indeed even the mighty Grange owes ALOT to Maurice O'Shea. A man, with an extrodinary vision and wines that still amaze today. McWilliams bought his vineyards when O'Shea was financially on his last legs. Get this book if you are interested in an Australian Wine Legend. http://www.winefront.com.au/book-sale-the-wine-hunter/
No connection, I have just read it, as a winemaker I find it compulsary reading.

So that is it on the beer front, only the potters?

Beer front... potters is the only one.

Back to Maurice O'shea for a second, anyone interested there is a photo exibihiton on at Mount Pleasant until the 20th May 2007, many photos of Maurice and his winery etc. Worth a look and free entry

Cheers, Pok

friday hey.

Some fridays im working at a coal mine at cessnock and like to drop in to potters on my way through for a taste and a chat in the afternoon on the way home

I will let you know if im going to be out that way.

I am the one that turns up covered in coal and scares away all the other costermers :)

cant promise but will see.

cheers

Tony,

I am arriving into Terrigal this Friday and will be going to McWilliams on Saturday, dependant on how long that takes, next stop will be Potters.

After a 12 hour drive from Mildura on Friday, I don't fancy the Friday afternoon traffic between Terrigal and Pokolbin and then the return. I'll have to give this Friday a miss.

If you are around the area during the following week I could probably swing it to have a few. Although I am not staying in the Hunter, I will make 2 or 3 trips up during the week to see family. I could make one of those trips coincide with a couple at the potters.

I will have to work things in with the handbrake and 2 kids as well.

Kirk

ahhhh ok mate thats cool

Im not a definate, im all over the place with work. I cover about 8 mines form the central coast to muswelbrook ATM and have no idea whare im working the next week if you know what i mean.

also have the handbreak and 4 kids to think of.

bloody hell its hard to get out for a beer with people these days.

ahhhhhhhhhhh thats life :)

cheers

oh........ there is a nice pub in maitland caled shinanigans at the imperial.

they have guiness and oh my god i kill(ed) kenny on tap. and some of the bluetoungue crap too i think.

you could try the queens warf brewery in newcastle. nice to sit out on the jetty oner the water and have a beer and a feed woth the sea breeze and seagulls in your hair. the kids can go chase the gulls while you relax :)

cheers

good feed too.

you got my number now, give us a call if can. If you can swing it to have beer great otherwise that is no sweat as well.

Latest posts

Back