Terrible Tasting Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iodophor only needs about a 2 minute contact time and is no rinse.

I personally leave it for 5 mins to be sure, if I'm really feeling anal I'll rinse with a litre of boiling water straight from the kettle but that's rare (usually only if I added too much iodophor when mixing up the sanitiser). iodophor is worth every cent.

The whole purpose of a sanitiser is to sanitise, in my opinion if your going to wash it out again with tap water you might as well just sanitize with the tap water in the first place, as if there are any contaminants in your water you just reintroduced them back into your sanitized vessel. A rinse with boiling water is less risky.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that get away with a rinse using cold tap water and never had a problem but IMO it's just not good practice.

Steve, your sure that medicinal flavour wasn't just some phenolics from the T-58 (which is a suggested wheat style yeast). Unless it was really, really bad I'd rack to a secondary and let it mature a bit before dumping. 7 days is not very long to make a fair judgement of a beer, sometimes they need to condition a little. Of course it could have been absolutely putrid, I didn't taste it, but if I have a doubtful beer I'll give it a chance before dumping.

Best of luck to all. The one time I had medicinal flavours was in a Dunkel Weizen, it was sourced back to using bleach to sanitize my bottles. Never used it again because you need to rinse it (reasons above).

Cheers, Justin

Cheers Justin
I too thought it may have been the T58 as it says spicy/clovey tasting on the pack....but no it was definately the same band aid smell and taste Id had a while back. I too only use iodophor but leave everything soacking for 15-20 minutes :blink: .....could this be the problem? Too long?
Steve

No Steve.

I've soaked things in Iodophor for hours (through laziness) and never had any problems to speak of other than the bits turning brown. :blink:

Warren -

Ha Ha, the old brown bucket syndrome. I've got a few victims there Warren ;) If it bothers you I find a bit of sunlight generally gets ride of a lot of the stain, but I guess it depends how bad.

Straight iodophor on the hands makes they a lovely yellow colour :D

I'm with Warren though Steve, the length of soak wouldn't have anything to do with it.

FWIW I brewed a wit with T-58 on Saturday night, chiller over night and pitched Sunday morning. It was at final gravity last night when I got home-Yikes. I did pitch a full sachet into 15L of wort at 22C. As I've stated before, this was lucky it was 15L in a 30L fermenter or this bad boy would have got out.

Iodophor only needs about a 2 minute contact time and is no rinse.

It all depends on what concentration you use. The normal brew shop idophor should have the usage rate and contact time on the bottle - go to a different store if it doesn't as it i savailable in different concentrations.

The standard rate needs closer to 15 mins contact time to effectively kill all the different types of brewing bugs.

There is more info in George Fix's Book "Analysis of Brewing Techniques".

David

Hope noone ever has to experience this taste!
I have, back when I used bleach. It's nasty alright.
Switch to the likes of Iodopher (1ml per litre) or One Shot (1 teaspoon per litre).
They are non rinse and can even be used again.
Do a search on sanitisers and you should find a bit of info, there's been plenty of discussion in the past.

Every time I clean the fermenter, I have a good sniff before finishing - If I can smell anything other than a very faint whiff of iodophor, I restart the clean and sanitise steps - there is nothing more annoying than pouring clean wort into a bad fermenter...

really?! it doesn't smell at all?
I've a plastic fermenter thats done about 40 batchs and it smells of beer. I'm pretty sure nothing would get rid of that.
My newer fermenter, again plastic, has only done about 3 batchs now and it too smells of beer. No infections so far.
*looks for a New Zealand based idophor supply*

Iodophor is great stuff, bh, but it's not a cleaner. To get rid of those stains, an overnight (or longer) soak in bleach or napisan should do the trick. A really good rinse out, then the iodophor before use.

Thanks - the soacking time on my bottle of iodophor says 20 mins - phew.

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Warren my racking tube is one long curly skid mark :D

If you want to read up on Iodophor a bit more there is a nice article here: http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/iodophor.htm

This one states a 60 sec contact time at 12.5ppm (the recomended conc). Regardless, I'm not really going on about how long you need to soak it for and how short you can get away with. It would be a rare day when a brewer sanitizing his fermenter couldn't let it sit for 5, 10, 15 or 20mins anyway. I usually just make up my sanitizer when I grab a minute during the brew day and throw it in the fermenter then give it a shake a few time as I walk past during the rest of the brew.

But basically I'm just saying I'm not scared of a short 2 min soak if I need to do it as this sanitizer is effective at such short soak times. 20-30 mins is probably unnecesarily long but it'll never do you any harm with a longer soak.

Cheers, Justin

Full of beer here and sorry to take your thread SUPER off-topic, but JS...your sig:

"Well ya see, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

As far as I know, alcohol doesn't actually destroy brain cells, it just severs the link between them...so you can be happy in the knowledge that your drinking won't melt your brain.......it'll just break it up into parts that can't talk to each other :lol:

PZ.

"Well ya see, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

FL_B,

This is about the best justification for drinking I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Forget all the talk of lower heart attack rates etc. All we need to prove now is that brewing reduces the CO2 levels in the world (a true challenge I am sure AHBers will meet), helps reduce poverty and will stop droughts.

FL_B,

This is about the best justification for drinking I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Forget all the talk of lower heart attack rates etc. All we need to prove now is that brewing reduces the CO2 levels in the world (a true challenge I am sure AHBers will meet), helps reduce poverty and will stop droughts.

Natural brewing (Reinheitsgebot) may reduce CO2 levels..
Very roughly: 2CO2 + water + light -> sugar
then, sugar -> 1CO2 + EtOH

helps reduce poverty: some breweries have been running in africa now, bringing work to their people and money to their poor economy. same goes for russia i think.

stop droughts: waste water treatment, water-beer-pee-waste-water-etc. this means less new water needs to be taken form the ground and water bodies.

Back