Temperature Sensor Mount For Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonjw

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just pondering an idea for mounting a temp sensor on the side of a HLT for controlling an electric element.

I know lots of people use a piece of polystyrene to cover the temp sensor and tape it to the side of their fermentors for fermentation temp control.

This cheap and easy solution might work for heating mash water as well perhaps. Especially if the pot is made from aluminium which has great thermal conductivity.

I only ask becuase i have an big aluminium pot on order to start all grain activities.

Has anyone tried this? The only big issue I can see is lag time for the sensor.
When my pot finally arrives i will give it a go before I go ahead and make or buy a thermowell for my temp controller.

Cheers

Leon

Hi everyone

Just pondering an idea for mounting a temp sensor on the side of a HLT for controlling an electric element.

I know lots of people use a piece of polystyrene to cover the temp sensor and tape it to the side of their fermentors for fermentation temp control.

This cheap and easy solution might work for heating mash water as well perhaps. Especially if the pot is made from aluminium which has great thermal conductivity.

I only ask becuase i have an big aluminium pot on order to start all grain activities.

Has anyone tried this? The only big issue I can see is lag time for the sensor.
When my pot finally arrives i will give it a go before I go ahead and make or buy a thermowell for my temp controller.

Cheers

Leon

Hi mate,
you could mount the temp sensor through the lid, like I did:

DSC02782.JPG

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back