Temperature For Pitching Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i always try to pitch a couple of degrees les than i intend to ferment and feel that it really is giving me better results than when i was just pitching at near enough is good enough temps. 40 though i can only imagine how bad thats going to taste and just how bad the morning after consumption is going to be :icon_vomit:

I smell a troll

Same, but just will give him the benefit of the yasmani.

Just wondering, if you're planning to carb them in the bottle, wouldn't adding priming sugar be redundant if the yeast has already packed it in?

Hi Nige, well is there anything in my theory that since the yeast weren't producing alcohol for the initial hours that the wort had cooled by the time they went into anaerobic (and hence alcohol) production? From my limited understanding of yeast I thought when they were breathing oxygen they wouldn't be producing alcohol.
You started at 40 and are fermenting around 28C.
I am no expert on Bakers Yeast but if it was most of the brewing strains I'd say it is still too high a temp for producing a decent drink.

Same, but just will give him the benefit of the yasmani.

Just wondering, if you're planning to carb them in the bottle, wouldn't adding priming sugar be redundant if the yeast has already packed it in?

Possibly, depends if the yeast carked it because of high alcohol or lack of nutrients I guess? I don't have much experience in bottling high alcohol strains where the yeast has died before it could take all the sugar. I'm thinking at least some yeast will be alive and it may just take some time to carb up.

You started at 40 and are fermenting around 28C.
I am no expert on Bakers Yeast but if it was most of the brewing strains I'd say it is still too high a temp for producing a decent drink.

On the second day it was between 26 and 28, but for most of the time it's been fermenting at 22->24 . But either way it's hard to know if its going to be drinkable or not given the high starting pitch and possibly high second day of fermenting there. From what I've read some people had beer go to 30 for 24 hours and it was still drinkable.

I'm only going on the "Sticker thermometer" that's on the side of the vessel. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but the room the vessel is in fluctuates between 18 -> 21C.

Don't confuse my hope with it being alright with the fact I know it has a higher chance of being crap! Gotta have faith sometimes. :)

So I poured a sample today to see how this was going. It was about 3% alcohol according to the hydrometer. I guess I didn't pitch enough yeast and it's been going steady but slower than expected, so I dropped another bakers yeast sachet into it.

Taste was ok, so hoping it's going to be drinkable.

The extra bakers yeast sachel did speed things up a little bit, but not as much as I had hoped. I dropped in some champagne yeast starter and it seems to be going faster now.

The bakers yeast didn't produce any off flavours to this point and it tastes pretty good, but it certainly seems slower than it should be, 3-4% alcohol in 8 days is too slow. It could have been me under pitching it though.

It could have been me under pitching it though.

:lol: :lol:

HA HA!

That's fucken funny.

Trust me, underpitching is the least of your problems with regard to the quality of the beverage you're about to produce.

you've got to be a troll surely...

:lol: :lol:

HA HA!

That's fucken funny.

Trust me, underpitching is the least of your problems with regard to the quality of the beverage you're about to produce.

you've got to be a troll surely...

My granddad only made ginger beer with bakers yeast (non alcoholic but still). So I'm not sure why you think it's a big issue like you make it out to be. How many brews have you made with bakers yeast to form an opinion? How many 40C pitches have you done? None? Maybe worry less about homebrew folklore and do some experiments yourself. And stop trolling in this thread please, if you have nothing new to add don't add it.

My granddad only made ginger beer with bakers yeast (non alcoholic but still). So I'm not sure why you think it's a big issue like you make it out to be. How many brews have you made with bakers yeast to form an opinion? How many 40C pitches have you done? None? Maybe worry less about homebrew folklore and do some experiments yourself. And stop trolling in this thread please, if you have nothing new to add don't add it.

You're right.

I haven't used Baker's Yeast in a brew. Ever. There's a good reason for that.
I have never pitched yeast into 40deg wort either. There's a good reason for that too.

I use yeast more appropriate for alcoholic beverage production.
I pitch my more appropriate yeast at a more appropriate temp.
I listen to the advice i get given when i post questions. I read a lot. I learn a lot. I put into practises the advice given to my questions.
This all assists me in making quality beer.

Making beer is not rocket science.
Appropriate ingredients and appropriate processes will always yield good results.
I'm all for experimentation, but there are experiments and then there is wasting your time.

This forum isn't an exclusive club or anything like that, but do you wonder why the other experienced brewers on this forum have also told you that (not necassarily in these exact terms)what your doing is pointless?
One thing that does ruffle the feathers of regular contributors here is when people ask for advice, get given advice and then completely disregard it anyway - particularly in the name of "an experiment" or "hope it'll turn out" etc...when experience tells us it's gonna be shit.

I experiment a lot with my brewing. I spend a lot of time experimenting with equipment, processes, recipe formulation. You're making a large assumption stating i should do some experiments myself.
But the things i don't **** with, are the things that are considered worldwide to be the most appropriate conventions of beer production.

I'm far from perfect. I've got lots of things i don't understand about brewing....at the moment it's electronics and automation.
I ask questions about it. I get answers about it. I learn stuff, I take the advice and I put it into practice.

I will say one thing though......You sure are polite.

I will say one thing though......You sure are polite.

LOL +1, he/she is very polite.

Probably have more luck making gingerbread than ginger beverage however I am kind of interested in how it turns out.
Got a youtube channel HB? Would love to see a tasting video.

D80

LOL +1, he/she is very polite.

Probably have more luck making gingerbread than ginger beverage however I am kind of interested in how it turns out.
Got a youtube channel HB? Would love to see a tasting video.

D80

Well I've already tasted 3-4% non carbed brew from this batch and its pretty tasty (still too sweet, but carbed it may be bearable). So I know the 40C pitch hasn't severely affected the flavour to this point in time. When I put the bakers yeast in initially I only dropped a half 7G packet into it thinking maybe it would be less "bready" due to the other components in it, and with the amount of aeration and the temp I figured it would be enough, but nope.

The champagne yeast is better at processing this high sugar brew as it went from 1 every 5 second blowing to 1 every 2.5 , and this was after dumping a new 7G bakers yeast in the day before. I wanted to keep this batch entirely bakers yeast but I don't really want to wait 4 weeks for it to complete due to my under pitch.... I know from the two samples I've had to this point in time the bakers yeast has been fine in regards to the tastes I had out of the hydrometer container. Hopefully the mixing of the yeasts works out ok too.

I may post a youtube video of it if I get the time and motivation, the older and fatter I get the more I need to drink to remember the good old days!

You're right.

I haven't used Baker's Yeast in a brew. Ever. There's a good reason for that.
I have never pitched yeast into 40deg wort either. There's a good reason for that too.

If you're seeking the perfect Lager, don't use bakers yeast. I'm making ginger beer here man, and bakers yeast works pretty well for it. That's my experience. Bakers yeast will work pretty well for any type of wine too, not the best or the fastest, but it'll work. I have the feeling some guys here take their brewing very serious and are upset when others do it the "Low cost" way or with inferior products and setups. But that's life man, it's not like everyone has to drink this! I just look back a few hundred years and what they were doing. What I'm doing looks high tech in comparison. ;)

I use yeast more appropriate for alcoholic beverage production.

Well my under pitched bakers yeast got my ginger beer to 4% alcohol in nearly a week and to a lot of people that's a decent ABV for ginger beer. And unless you want to believe I'm lying, the taste is alright too (just too sweet due to my 6.5KG sugar).

This forum isn't an exclusive club or anything like that, but do you wonder why the other experienced brewers on this forum have also told you that (not necassarily in these exact terms)what your doing is pointless?
One thing that does ruffle the feathers of regular contributors here is when people ask for advice, get given advice and then completely disregard it anyway - particularly in the name of "an experiment" or "hope it'll turn out" etc...when experience tells us it's gonna be shit.

Well you have no direct experience in what I'm doing turning shit so it's a bit rich to say it will for certain and I should dump it instead of waiting to see. If I was fine with a 4% ABV ginger beer everything I've done to this point in time has led to a drinkable alcoholic ginger beer.

And I read and listen to what people are saying and suggesting, that's why I went and got some wine yeast to play with next, and for this high alcohol brew I'm trying to make it is certainly faster.

I experiment a lot with my brewing. I spend a lot of time experimenting with equipment, processes, recipe formulation. You're making a large assumption stating i should do some experiments myself.
But the things i don't **** with, are the things that are considered worldwide to be the most appropriate conventions of beer production.

Well personally I'd rather have the experience of creating acetone or vinegar or botulism than not, if that was what happens. I'm fine with it. I like to learn, what can I say.

Well personally I'd rather have the experience of creating acetone or vinegar or botulism than not, if that was what happens. I'm fine with it. I like to learn, what can I say.

I never really understood why people have to try things in the name of "learning".

Does dog poop taste good? Don't tell me it doesn't unless you've tried it. And if you haven't tried it, then you should because its the only way you'll learn.

I never really understood why people have to try things in the name of "learning".

Does dog poop taste good? Don't tell me it doesn't unless you've tried it. And if you haven't tried it, then you should because its the only way you'll learn.

Well bakers yeast ginger beer may not taste pleasant to you, but it does to me. I don't like guinness, but I don't call it dog poop. :) My preference is to make something drinkable , but if I don't then it's good to know why I didn't.

For instance some people here said 40C pitch would ruin it, it didn't, this time. There is homebrew folklore and homebrew reality. Often it's hard to know which is which, especially when there are so many variables to consider.

Interesting !!

Well he said it was, obviously it would have _something_ in it. Surprisingly he was a heavy alcoholic in his past and he never had a drink after about 45 years of age.... except this ginger beer of his.... he died recently which is why I'm giving his recipe another whirl.

If you really don't want to go to a LHBS and get a proper brewing yeast, the homebrew section at Big W has brewing yeast. I wouldn't use it as I have no idea what it is, but it isn't expensive and has to be more appropriate for ethanol production than bakers yeast??

Back