Temperature for lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigersnake

Reaction score
Hi everyone please be kind as I'm new to brewing. At the moment I have a beermakers cold fermenting and I have used a saflager s 23 yeast I'm just a little confused at what temp to keep it at while fermenting. Thanks for any help.

Keep it around 12 if you can. Fermentation will generate some heat too so keep that in mind

There's little doubt that preying mantis is a high volume poster for a reason. So follow that advice; and for other Fermentis yeasts this info sheet is very helpful (esp. page 6). I was a bit surprised I was doing the diacetyl rest a little too high!

Antiphile…i am also surprised at the diacetyl rest temperatures… i usually do my diacetyl rest at at room temp say 20 - 25 deg c for about 24hrs. I can't say i have detected any butterscotch type flavours in my lagers though, how about you?

And Tigersnake, i'm still experimenting with different lager yeasts, but my favourite so far is saflager 34/70 brewed at about 13 deg c, S23 seems to be a little too fruity for my palate, but i like em clean & crispy…but hey maybe i'm doing it wrong who knows..

Interesting... I used to do my D-rests about 16C, but now I go up to 18-19C. I haven't noticed any butterscotch in my lagers either though. I like the 34/70 yeast as well, but currently using WY2001 Urquell in my pilsner experiments.

For best results begin the rise in temperature wen you are a few gravity points off your predicted final gravity. So for instance if you have an expected FG of 1.012 then start to raise the temp at say 1.016.
If you don't know what your predicted FG will be, then take a punt and begin the rise at say 1.018. The increase in temperatures won't have a noticeable negative impact on the flavour of your beer due to the higher ferm temp. As an added bonus, it helps the yeast attenuate (chew up all the sugar) better, giving you a drier flavour profile.

Latest posts

Back