Temperature controlled fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

law-of-ohms

Reaction score
I hope I have posted this in the correct section.

I have a chest freezer with a STC-1000 added.

What to you guy's do in the way of a temperature 'schedule'

I have a brew down with US-05 and have kept the temp @ 17c for a week now.

Do I let the temp rise now? then cold crash down to... 0c ?

What do you do?

If it's reached FG then drop it to 0 for a couple of days to help it clear. If it hasn't, I wouldn't touch it yet.

I'm not scientific with my 'schedule' for ales. Set it at desired temp, leave it, when it's done drop the temperature to 0 for a couple of days, bottle it. That's it.

It is different for lagers where you need to diacetyl rest etc. Some people are meticulous about not changing temperature too fast for lagers, ramping a degree every day or so in with) either direction. So my comments probably don't apply to lagers.

It's a good idea to raise the temp near the end, for a diacetyl rest (D-rest); perhaps to 21-degrees for 24-hours, before your beer takes the plunge to crash chilling as cold as it will go without freezing, for a number of days before decanting.

Spiesy said:
It's a good idea to raise the temp near the end, for a diacetyl rest (D-rest); perhaps to 21-degrees for 24-hours, before your beer takes the plunge to crash chilling as cold as it will go without freezing, for a number of days before decanting.
good advice, just be careful not to freeze it 1 or 2c should be good for a crash

Back