Tea Ball Infuser for dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you use a teaspoon to help a bag of hops sink? (or some other common household object)

chromesphere said:
Can you use a teaspoon to help a bag of hops sink? (or some other common household object)
why worry about making the hop bag sink

Will the hops combine properly with the brew if it doesn't sink?

I just did a sparkling ale kit that came with a 24gram hop tea bag which floated until I cold crashed then it dropped to the bottom, it imparted plenty of aroma, I usually just throw the hops in its only that this kit came with the bag. Although I originally used tea balls I don't like hard objects rolling around the bottom of my VF potentially scratching it and causing an infection.

chromesphere said:
Will the hops combine properly with the brew if it doesn't sink?
I bulk prime and assume the hop flavour will mix

with the bag floating the hops should dissolve in the brew and fall , maybe more hop flavour will occur

barls said:
bulk buy?
I emailed them a couple of weeks back because I'm interested in the Braumeister hop filter:
https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#braumeister20

They can do:

[SIZE=medium](10) 6x12 300 Micron Speidels - $78/filter or $780.00 + $137.00 shipping[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium](10) Corny Keg Dry Hoppers - $41/filter or $410.00 + $69.00 shipping[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The saving on shipping is considerable[/SIZE]

US afaik - but not confirmed

Feldon said:
How much hops do you put in each tea bag, BigMac?
30 to 40 grams approx. I had 30g for a dry hop, still more room in the bag. But I did pay to much attention too how much more I could fit in the bag sorry. You just added the pellets and flip over the top to seal.

I weight my bag down with a shot glass. I just rinse both with no-rinse sanitizer before adding hops

GNU said:
I weight my bag down with a shot glass. I just rinse both with no-rinse sanitizer before adding hops
I use this...crudely called a hop condom.
I prefer to free style my dry hops,but to avoid transfer from the fermenter into keg, I attach a tubular piece of swiss voille to my transfer tube from the fermenter to the keg with a cable tie or plastic tie wrap...see attached picture.
I have tried all the suggestions but use this exclusively...just sanitize the transfer tube,voille and cable tie, attach to fermenter and run your beer into keg...simple !! 2015-02-11 13.04.13.jpg

Latest posts

Back