Dry hop chux

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakemaca

Reaction score
Whats your opinion on using a sanitised chux cloth to wrap up your hops for dry hopping? Instead of going commando and dealing with floaties or using a muslin cloth or a mesh ball infuser and deal with extra cleaning, what about a chux cloth wrapped over your hops? I have a friend who does this and he also uses a sanitiesd glove to squeeze the chux and hops out before bottling to max the hoppy flavour and aroma. Would your brew taste like chux (or would it leach)or does this method work ok

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Granted, I don't know exactly what chux cloths are made of, but I wouldn't want to be putting unknown fibres in to an acidic liquid environment for several days and then drinking it...
I may change my tune if it turns out that whatever they are made of is safe, but at the very least I would have thought that even some of the colour would leak from them due to the acidic beer

I remember the Coopers DIY site saying to put the hops in a fresh chux so must be OK then.

I usually go commando with a cold crash, or occasionally use hop tube.

Whats your opinion on using a sanitised chux cloth to wrap up your hops for dry hopping? Instead of going commando and dealing with floaties or using a muslin cloth or a mesh ball infuser and deal with extra cleaning, what about a chux cloth wrapped over your hops? I have a friend who does this and he also uses a sanitiesd glove to squeeze the chux and hops out before bottling to max the hoppy flavour and aroma. Would your brew taste like chux (or would it leach)or does this method work ok
I have seen it mentioned a few times, the only problem is when you enclose them in anything you will be limiting the contact of the hops with the wort.

I remember the Coopers DIY site saying to put the hops in a fresh chux so must be OK then.

I usually go commando with a cold crash, or occasionally use hop tube.
Can you explain how to cold crash after dry hopping if im brewing ale at 18 degrees then bottling and carbing with drops. Curious to try. Cheers

Can you explain how to cold crash after dry hopping if im brewing ale at 18 degrees then bottling and carbing with drops. Curious to try. Cheers

basic answer
you chuck the "dry" hops in "at some point" into the fermenter
then cold crash to 0 deg to drop the hops/yeast out to the bottom of the fermenter for a few days
you bottle as normal a yummy dry hopped ale

i assume u r fermenting in a fridge

basic answer
you chuck the "dry" hops in "at some point" into the fermenter
then cold crash to 0 deg to drop the hops/yeast out to the bottom of the fermenter for a few days
you bottle as normal a yummy dry hopped ale

i assume u r fermenting in a fridge
Cheers. Will give it a try

The cold crash is done at the end of fermation. It will also drop some yeast out, but there will still be plenty to carb your beer up. Just let the bottles rise up to 18/20 so they carb up.

I was thinking of doing the dry hop in a chux to prevent the ‘grassy’ flavours possibly developing if they are left in too long.

Reckon it’s an issue if I chuck them straight it in and don’t get to bottling for two weeks?

I wouldn't leave a beer dry hopping that long, but that's just me. It also depends on the amount, the type of hop and the type of beer though.

also, you can buy single use hop bags for dry hopping which would be far better than a chux.

The cellulose in Chux might break down in mashing, so probably not a great idea for a grain bag, but they are fine for hop bags. I prefer sewing my own from voile though.

Also, no one has sued Coopers yet for recommending Chux. ;)

It's pretty hard to ignore Coopers recommendation. All their recipes calling for hop additions say to use a "mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper" (eg. Chux or similar).

I'd be amazed if using such a cloth caused any problems with the beer. Coopers have far too much to lose.

Eg. this is part of Coopers' recipe for Anarchy IPA ( https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipes ) :

1617277059727.png

Back