Tcb Wetpak - American Pale Ale... Very Dark Colour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanox

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
new to homebrew. Just put my 2nd brew in the fermenter and it was a TCB Wetpak - American Pale Ale.

Just two questions.

I used exactly what was in the pack. But the whole brew seems to be quite dark. The same as an amber ale. Very rich burgundy/brown.
Is this normal? I would have though it would have been lighter in colour
When i was boiling the malt etc. it was running at a medium boil and not a simmer. Do you think this has something to do with it? It seemed like a little of the malt burnt to the bottom of the pan. Is this normal??

Also, I have longknecks that are 700ml instead of 750. Will it matter if I put two sugar drops in these? I assume sucha small ammount wont make a difference?

hit me back if you have any help. thanks!!!
Brendan

When i was boiling the malt etc. it was running at a medium boil and not a simmer. Do you think this has something to do with it? It seemed like a little of the malt burnt to the bottom of the pan. Is this normal??

You should try to avoid burnt malt, try taking off heat when adding and a fast stir to avoid it hitting the bottom of the pan. I guess this is where the darkness is coming from but don't worry it until you taste it, probably will be fine.

As for the bottles, if you are using carb drops they tend to vary a bit anyway so I can't see a dose for 750ml in 700 being an issue.

If you want a more controlled carb level you could batch prime instead (add all the sugar before you bottle, instead of adding to each bottle)

Congratulation on getting your second brew in the fermenter. After reading you post Charlie Papazian (founder of the American Homebrew Association) with his favourite saying 'Relax Don't Worry Have A Homebrew'. Don't worry about the colour too much wait and see what it taste and looks like after it has come out of the fermenter as the colour can change somewhat after ferment and the beer settles, although if you think it is a little dark it may be but as long as it taste good your ahead. Also Pale Ales don't necasarrilly mean it has to be pale they can verge up to Amber in colour and still be a Pale Ale. As for the sugar it shouldn't make any real noticable difference if when your beers finished and you think it needs more carbonation then look at different sugaring methods then. but for the moment just feel good that you beers going to be good and is fermenting away. Colour does tend to be more from recipee formulation and not too much from kettle caramilisation, Anyway wait untill the beers ready and if its too dark then cut back on the dark malt in the next etc.

Anyhow Relax, don't worry have a homebrew :chug:

Latest posts

Back