Tcb Wetpack English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plooky

Reaction score
Gidday all,

I have just done one of these kits from the country brewer. It tastes quite good from the fermentor, has settled out to 1.010 on the hydrometer. Looks nice too. My concern is whenever I've drawn off some of the beer to test I get a bunch of sediments throughout the test tube.

I am wondering if this is normal for this kind of kit? I followed the instructions to the letter and am now wondering if I should have strained the wort from the pot.

I am going to rack it off to a secondary fermentor, but i'm wondering if i should put finings in before or after i rack it off (to try to reduce the heavy sediment in the beer).

Anywho, thanks in advance.

Plooky.

What yeast did you use and how long since you pitched it? What temp did you ferment at? My guess is a poor flocculating yeast or it has not finished.

What yeast did you use and how long since you pitched it? What temp did you ferment at? My guess is a poor flocculating yeast or it has not finished.

it was the 18th (so, only a week), it was sitting at about 20-24 degrees all week (is sitting, still). I can't remember the exact name of the yeast, except that it was in a blue packet, i think a 'saf' -i forgot to actually write it down :(

it probably hasnt finished (although the hydro readings have been constant for the past few days)

anyway, cheers!

No problems there at all, just a bit of the settled yeast coming through the tap. All perfectly normal.
Beer sounds ready to be bottled to me, if the gravity has been stable for a few days. I wouldn't be bothered with finings, the blue packet saf is safale-S04 & this yeast drops nice & bright on its own. If you are in any doubt, give it a few more days & if the gravity's still stable, bottle away.

cheers Ross

cheers mate!

i'll leave it for a couple of more days and then bottle i think (now). its going to be a quite bitter beer judging it from how it tastes now.

thanks again!

The bitterness should come into balance as you age the beer in the bottle. This of course depends on a lot of variables but is usually the case in my brewing experience.

Latest posts

Back