Taste Difference?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drag

Reaction score
Is there any major difference other than ones liquid & other is powder? Oh and slight difference for % of concentration.

yes there seems to be a difference i just used LME in a brew and it definetly tastes
different to the same brew with DME

might just be in my head though

I prefer liquid as it give a more dexterious wort.
Too much DME will kill the the balance.
Use it as a supplement and sparingly

LME (liquid) = DME (dry) - water.

There is no difference between them apart from the water content.

A 'dextrinous' wort is achieved by having a relatively high ratio of dextrines (less fermentable) to more fermenatable sugars (maltose) which leaves a higher FG and more body in the finished beer. The ratio of these sugars is controlled by the manufacturer during the mashing process and is independant of the final moisture content. As mentioned, the only change you have to make is in qty used due to the extra water in the liquid variety.

As most LHBS only seem to stock one type of each (1 dry, 1 liquid), they could well be different brands or made from different base grains which could explain the difference in taste/flavour. There was a big difference between the dry and liquid bulk extracts my old LHBS used to sell. Different brands, colours and flavours but both were good for extract only brews. One was darker which went well in ales etc and the other I used for lagers.
Personally I found dry extract easier to work with and measure as it didn't stick to everything.

At the end of the day you can use all dry, all liquid or a combination. If you find an extract you like the flavour of, use it.

Back