Tasmanian Wild Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my mates has a "wild" hop growing on his block, (between kettering and cygnet). Have not made a brew with it... yet maybe this season.

Nice area.. I lived in Cygnet for a few years... careful though.. you can get shot at looking for 'hops' down that way :p

hey guys where do i get seeds from so i can grow my own hops?

mate you dont grow them from seeds, you grow them from root stock.
its also the wrong time of year to buy them, they are normally up for sale around mid year.

Some time ago I was discussing the presence of a native australian hop species with a friend of mine who studies the botanical flora distribution specific to the Sydney basin region. The genus Dodonaea was mentioned, because of it's common name of 'hop bush'.

Sources on the internet vary, but the Australian National Botanic Gardens site has this to say about Dodonaea viscosa:

a member of the Sapindaceae family. Dodonaeas are known as hop bush as they were used to make beer by early European Australians. Dodonaea viscosa has also been traditionally used by Aboriginal Australians to treat toothache, cuts and stingray stings.

The website anpsa.org.au also has this to say about Dodonaea viscosa:

Both Aborigines and colonists valued hop bushes for their cultural and medicinal properties.

So impressed were the early colonists with the similarity in looks and taste, which its winged seed capsules had to hops, they were inspired to successfully brew a tangy, bitter but drinkable beer. The name 'Hop bush' still remains its popular common name.

SOURCES:

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2007/do...ea-viscosa.html

http://anpsa.org.au/APOL2007/feb07-2.html

Some time ago I was discussing the presence of a native australian hop species with a friend of mine who studies the botanical flora distribution specific to the Sydney basin region. The genus Dodonaea was mentioned, because of it's common name of 'hop bush'.

Sources on the internet vary, but the Australian National Botanic Gardens site has this to say about Dodonaea viscosa:

a member of the Sapindaceae family. Dodonaeas are known as hop bush as they were used to make beer by early European Australians. Dodonaea viscosa has also been traditionally used by Aboriginal Australians to treat toothache, cuts and stingray stings.

Both Aborigines and colonists valued hop bushes for their cultural and medicinal properties.

So impressed were the early colonists with the similarity in looks and taste, which its winged seed capsules had to hops, they were inspired to successfully brew a tangy, bitter but drinkable beer. The name 'Hop bush' still remains its popular common name.

SOURCES:

Personally I don't really see that much of a similarity:
Dodonaea_viscosa_185.jpg

On the Fraser Coast of SE Qld, in a past life, we used to tell the punters a story about the 'native hop bush'...

When the early settlers saw the hop bush they thought they'd use it to make beer, maybe they'd been drinking too much rum. But since the hopbush wasn't the same as the hops that they were used to, the beer turned out considerably different to what they were used to. Because of these flavours, they put it in a green can and called it Green Death. It didn't sell very well so later on they changed the name to Victoria Bitter!

Thought I'd update as it's relevant to this thread. The Age Epicure article today refers to a 'Wild hop' being used by Otway estate in their once yearly batch. Hop is from fringe areas of Otway ranges and is reported by Otway to be 'Canterbury Goldings' a relative of the East Kent Variety.

Apparently the Otway & Colac region was a major supplier of hops for 'Ballarat Bitter' a beer which had a thin moustached fellow on the label called 'Bertie'.

Apologies to those who've just read this on another thread. Thought I'd update it here too.

Hopper.

There was a wild hop which was doing the rounds with AHB brewers and on the old Grump's form years ago. Try a search on Pride of Pemberton!

Ignore this person; he's from WA their doing their best to de-rail AHB.

Im sorry but do you mean West Australian board members are doing there best to derail AHB? Or just Speedie.... Because if any other state wants him.... they can have him.

Thought I'd update as it's relevant to this thread. The Age Epicure article today refers to a 'Wild hop' being used by Otway estate in their once yearly batch. Hop is from fringe areas of Otway ranges and is reported by Otway to be 'Canterbury Goldings' a relative of the East Kent Variety.

Apparently the Otway & Colac region was a major supplier of hops for 'Ballarat Bitter' a beer which had a thin moustached fellow on the label called 'Bertie'.

Hopper.

They're probably from around the Forrest area - there's a great book from the local historical society about the hop industry in Forrest. The industry died out after WW2 and they replaced hops with spuds and cattle.

I also seem to remember talking to someone else on this board who had wild hops on his property around Pennyroyal creek.

They're probably from around the Forrest area - there's a great book from the local historical society about the hop industry in Forrest. The industry died out after WW2 and they replaced hops with spuds and cattle.

I also seem to remember talking to someone else on this board who had wild hops on his property around Pennyroyal creek.
They were grown around Timboon as well, until some sort of blight got them.

There are tonnes of hops growing wild around the Scotsdale area in Tasmania. It's a hop growing region so it's nt unexpected. I picked a couple of handfuls just show the old man when I was over. They smelt great. I would suppose they were POR. You could have free POR for life if you brewed and lived in the area.

It's interesting to consider the spreading of wild hops around, and the breeding. Because you need a male and a female to produce seed, the opportunities for the spread of seedlings would seem limited if there aren't many males around. Having male plants nearby is obviously not good because they will pollinate the female, and seeds in the hop is not good, much the same with hop's close relative. They are wind pollinated so the spread of pollen would be up to a kilometre. If there aren't any seeds then the rhizomes have to be spreading around. Hops can live for a long time and are pretty weedy but I think spreading by rhizomes would be pretty slow. Of course there are probably people willing to spread them around, and maybe wild hops are in places with old abandoned farms or gardens. Roadside plants would probably be from seed. Where I live there is lots of asparagus growing by the road.

I wonder how they breed hops, because they have to use males, and the males will have largely unknown genetics. They must need to raise a lot of seedlings to get one female plant with the desired characteristics.

Just pick a bunch of wild hops from an area between Forrest and Colac. There looked to be a few different varieties since many of the bines hadn't flowered yet.

Will late hop with them for the next brew and let you know how it goes.

:chug: hopefully

Just pick a bunch of wild hops from an area between Forrest and Colac. There looked to be a few different varieties since many of the bines hadn't flowered yet.

Will late hop with them for the next brew and let you know how it goes.

:chug: hopefully

If they're from the old industry they're likely to be Canterbury Goldings or American Clusters.

Let us know how you go...

Every time I visit Port Arthur I am tempted by this big hop plant that is growing up the side of one of the cottages - the one that was used up until the 70s or something, with the picket fence and fruit trees. I managed to sneak out a cutting last time but it didn't make it back over on the ferry.

SOURCES:

This is interesting as my mother has told me about my grandfather (now deceased) making hop beer when they lived around the Macleay area. I assumed it was made from these hop bushes but was not sure. Will have to ask her is she has a recipe.

Back