Tasmanian Wild Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

probablynathan

Reaction score
I was reading that Pride of Ringwood was bred using pride of Kent and a wild Tasmanian hop. I also remember that Boag's made reference to a Tasmanian hop used in their Honey Porter called Van Diemen. these are probably not the same variety by could be related?

Does any one know anything about this Tasmanian wild hop? Very interested in any information people may have on these Tasmanian hops.

Thank in advance.

from battery piont if you drink too much you will have a wild hop

Sorry for the OT, but what are you on about speedie? Seriously!

Sorry for the OT, but what are you on about speedie? Seriously!

Battery point is the old part of Hobart - think cobblestone streets etc. I guess if you were drunk you could trip over on the gaps in the cobblestones.

If you don't understand it you obviously aren't a good brewer :)

Battery point is the old part of Hobart - think cobblestone streets etc. I guess if you were drunk you could trip over on the gaps in the cobblestones.

If you don't understand it you obviously aren't a good brewer :)

Don't worry DJR, I grew up in Hobart, know Battery Point well. Just sick and tired of the bullshit coming from speedie's keyboard.....

speedie.
i think i speak for all here, lay off the drugs or start sharing.
its the only way your posts are going to make sense to the rest of us.

it would seem that you have a small tolerance for humour
even one with two heads could see the funny side

Hops are not indigenous to Australia; all current varieties have been derived from Europe or America (Cluster being a good US example) at various times since the early 1800s. The first hops were grown by James Squire the man (not the later brewery who adopted his name) at Ryde in Inner West Sydney but it soon became apparent that Victoria and Tasmania had better hop growing climates.
Hops escaped from the farms over the last couple of hundred years and can be found around the place.. like blackberries and volunteer sunflower plants and sugar cane along highways etc. So there are no real "wild" hops in Australia just as there are no "wild" rabbits, camels etc.

However it's interesting that many of these feral hops would be from old long abandoned cultivars and it would be great to brew from some of them and possibly recreate some of the flavours enjoyed by drinkers in the days of Henry Lawson et al. I read that there's a brewpub in Victoria using feral hops growing in the area.

has anyone tasted brews made with the feral hops? or more importantly has anyone attempted to grow them?

Thanks BribieG, I didn't think there were any native hops in Australia but I was curious what was meant by "wild hop" and what variety was used. The more I read up on these early hop variety's grown and used in colonial Australia the more interested I become. I will defiantly be looking into this some more.

Thanks again.

I wondered about wild hops (feral) in Australia, as for most crops there are specimens which have also made their way into the wild. Having a look on Flora Base (database of plant species in WA) it appears there are wild hops in the Perth region - http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/18296
Perhaps a good old wild hop hunt is in order! :beerbang: :lol:

You could/maybe/probaly not say that there are wild hops in OZ..

I think what the OP was asking was, where did this wild hop come from. No doubt it would have been some hybred hop that was a result of cross pollination

Think of the peach tree you see on the side of a country road, sometimes these are the best fruiting or most prolific peach tree you will ever see, but never both.

I would guess that POR was made from kent and a wild hop that was noted for a particular characteristic

Its called plant breeding

Yes breeders are often on the lookout for "wild" hops, Bullion and Brewers Gold came from crosses with "escaped" hops growing in Canada.

There's some 'wild' hops growing up here in Landsborough and Peachester. You can tell because when they produce most fruit (after the winter rains) the Police helicopter sits above your house for longer than usual.

ganja.jpg

The was a pretty wild hop in its day - yes folks that's what your great grand parents used to get up to.
Naughty corner, Nan & Poppie

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a few posts in the past about 'wild/feral' hops in various parts of Australia. From memory one thread was about tassie. Can't remember if it got anywhere as to what type of hop it was though. There were pics of it though if u feel like searching for interest sake.

One of the 2 Metre Tall 'real' ales uses wild hops, according to their spiel. Also heard of wild hops in the Bright area in Vic.

There was an old thread about hop rhizomes (about two years back) and a few people in Sth Australia raised Lobethal as a source of 'wild roadside hops' as well as rhizomes. Word has it this area was historically a large hop growing area with European types of hops planted in the vicinity.

Never been out there with a shovel but there was talk on AHB two years back about some thinking they might go digging for gold... don't know the area myself but a Lobethal local would be able to set you straight on whether this is fact or malarky.

Hopper.

One of my mates has a "wild" hop growing on his block, (between kettering and cygnet). Have not made a brew with it... yet maybe this season.

I might pay to have a walk around hopfields in Margate. It got that name for a reason.

Latest posts

Back