Tasmanian recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
My wife and I are about to spend a couple of weeks driving around Tasmania. Does anyone have any recommendations for good food and good beer? We aren't planning on doing many k's per day but have already booked our accommodation, going anticlockwise from Hobart. Thanks,
Bob

Too many K's a day will have drive off the edge,google Tassie breweries there are some rippers down there.
Tassie ? Bloody beautiful . One must see ( which is wrong coming from me as I missed it and was bloody annoyed at my self ) is the Wall in the wilderness, it's a hand carved wall of wood showing the history of Tassie,it's on the west coast .
Also in Strahan go to the water front and see the theatre of the " ship that never was " and do the harbour cruise that takes in the Franklin river.

Oh and beer, 7 sheds,Mona,Van Diemens etc...

There's a heap of great stuff down here but don't try and see it all in one trip. Pick a few and really go for it. Then come back and pick up where you left off.

Besides breweries there are great whisky and gin distilleries, cideries, berry farms, oyster farms and just gorgeous scenery. Get to cradle mountain for a day or two, get to bay of fires (I recommend big lagoon) get to mona, get to weldborough.
Breweries there's morrisons, Moobrew, ironhouse, seven sheds, 2 metres tall, van dieman's and the big two (cascade and boags) off the top of my head. Whisky wise I strongly recommend nant and lark and I believe there's a new irish style whiskey now distilled and aged here.

It's a great state to be in, weirdos and all (I quite like the weirdos).

Unless things have taken a turn for the worse in the last five years, the Sydney Hotel in Hobart always had an array of interesting beers and decent food available. Blessedly pokie and TAB free.
As noted by one of the locals, don't make it a whirlwind tour. Pick a handful of stuff and take your time. Its that kind of place.
Headed for a couple of weeks from Cradle Mt to Bruny with the family over new years myself, for the fifth time. Cant wait.

Personally I've never found the people weird. Dont know if that says more about me of them..

You haven't hung out at Glenorchy mall.
New Sydney is still good and pokie free.

Also Winston, north hobart.

No weirder than parts of west brunswick, werribee, st albans or newtown (not new town) though.

Its one place I want to do on the bike.

Have had mates ride around Tassie and they reckon it was that good they almost came home pregnant

Mona - best gallery in Australia

Bruny island - get the ferry there at 9 and back at 5. Fill up at the Cheesery and "get shucked" the oyster caravan (*the* best oysters I've ever had)

Freycinet - beautiful (& 2nd best oysters).

Battery point - nice to walk around if you're staying in Hobart. Jackman & Mcross good for breaky there.

If you're into pommy beers there's a new little beery feature that's popped up recently...... Morrison's Handpump Thursday at St Johns in Launceston. Paul's brewing little 20L single batches that go into a cask (the real deal, no C02) that's tapped Thursday and poured/pumped until done (generally gone Friday arvo).

Ducatiboy stu said:
Its one place I want to do on the bike.

Have had mates ride around Tassie and they reckon it was that good they almost came home pregnant
Absolutely.

That and the south island of NZ.
The beaut thing about both is the seemingly haphazard approach by the local municipality toward signposting. Nothing like rolling into a surprise hairpin or tightening radius corner with zero runnof a little to hot.
Thrill a minute stuff.

Nothing beats a good adrenaline rush to make you enjo a few craft beers at the end of the day....or a t lunch time

we i as last there we stayed at the waratah in hobart it had few local beer's on tap and the bottle shop has a good selection .visited lark near the wharf and it has a excellent collection of whisky.St John's is worth a visit also...for the mrs Anver's Chocolate @ latrobe.

Birkdale Bob said:
My wife and I are about to spend a couple of weeks driving around Tasmania. Does anyone have any recommendations for good food and good beer? We aren't planning on doing many k's per day but have already booked our accommodation, going anticlockwise from Hobart. Thanks,
Bob
You lucky buggers!
I took the family there last year for just a week & didn't want to come home. The kids actually cried when it was time to board the plane.
In Bellerive, my sister & brother in law have a little coffee joint called the Retro Fudge Bar. Delicious fudge & awesome coffee with them being the only supplier of Botero coffee. You can't get it anywhere else ATM in Tassie & it's one of the biggest coffee brands on the mainland. If you get there, drop in & say hi & mention Brian from Yamba. Once you start talking about beer & forums, she'll know who your talking about.
Lark distillery is awesome, the Huon valley is scenic & Hobart is great to hang around, especially the Saturday Salamanca markets.
Port Arthur is worth a look & we had good fun on the Red Decker bus tour. The zoo called Zoo-Doo is a lot of fun & worth a look as well.
We stayed at Kingston, 20mins south of Hobart which was a beautiful place. We didn't do any beer related stuff unfortunately.
I wanna go back.
Happy holidays guys.

Thanks for all the tips. Obviously we won't be able to see everything so a return trip will probably be on the cards. I really wanted to take our car and do the ferry thing but fuel/accommodation/time vs a direct flight didn't quite stack up. Really looking forward to the trip, may be in the New Sydney this time next week!

Latest posts

Back