Tasmanian Beer Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumpity Bump

Taken from the THBS website

BEERFEST. Entries have closed for the beer comp. All those who entered have a free ticket to enter the BEERFEST. These can be collected at our shop.
The results of the judging will be announced soon.
See you down there - we'll have a Morgan's Draught with a half and half and citra hops on tap for you to taste.

I got an email last week from Amanda saying that while entries are down from last year, there was still going to be a comp. If you are going to Beerfest, then the free entry should cover the postage costs of sending a brew to Hobart.

Anybody want to catch up on Saturday, PM me and see what we can arrange.

Cheers
LagerBomb

Can only manage Friday evening for an hour or so. My young bloke can push me home in a wheelbarrow, he is well trained!

Will be there Saturday. Hopefully wearing an AHB tee or polo...

I'll be there Saturday but have no idea what time as that will depend on the kids and SWMBO as they want to come too. <_<

Well, we came, we saw and we conquered.
Unfortunately I only had enough time for a quick hello to IT Mech as SWMBO and lids were in tow. Next year maybe I need an excuse to leave them behind..... well at least the kids. Would make for an easier day without the kids.

I thought this was amusing, I have a 3yo daughter and 1.5yo son yet they had to wear bracelets so as to be identified that they were too young for alcohol. Are people these days just blind and stupid?... I mean I would have thought it obvious they were too young!!!

Nevertheless, there were a few nice brews on display and Paul's Irish Red worked a treat.
I tried one called Smokin' Bagpipes and have never tasted such foul crap in my life. :icon_vomit:
It was a bit hard to spot AHB members in the crowd so unfortunately I didn't see anyone else. Nevertheless, there were around 300 brews on offer and most were pretty good.

I tried one called Smokin' Bagpipes and have never tasted such foul crap in my life. :icon_vomit:

The bagpipes was not good, but I think I could taste where he was trying to go with it. Friends have told me it's been on top at the New Sydney and built a bit of a following. But there was no way I could get through a tasting sample, let alone a pint of it.

Thumbs down to little creatures for putting their price up as their stocks run down, they were out of bottled beer by the time I left.

I had some great wheat beers. Might have to go back through the pictures on my phone to spell a couple of the German ones. Also really enjoyed the Ironhouse Wheat beer, which I thought was of equal quality to the German beers.

Overall a good day, a reasonable size crowd, but never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to get served.

Had a ball. :) Went before lunch (and before the crowds) for an hour or 2 and tried a couple of the Morrison's bevies, and a few others. Met Nathan and his lovely wife. My wife and I headed off for lunch (spoiled ourselves to a platter @ Muirs) then went back to the hotel to drop off her purchases from Salamanca that morning. When we got back to Beerfest the noise of approximately 10 000 people, all talking at once, hit you like a wall of sound! Didn't manage to find Nathan and Kate again, did meet anpthet AHB'er briefley outside.
We went to 4 of the masterclasses. That may have been a mistake, as my wife does not drink beer, so I "had to" drink mine and hers. That made 3 stubbies in 30 mins for the James Squire masterclass, and 2-3 in each of the others as well. Was a bit wobbly after that...
Can't remember all the beers I tried, but a couple that stood out were the Van Dieman brewing "Two Heads IPA" for the best label, the Moo Brew pale ale, which was a lovely hoppy PA, the Moo Brew Wit, which tasted like a liquid barney banana, the Rasputin stout from the Cool Wines stall (superb!) and the Brew Dogs "Tokyo" stout - way ott.
Planned on visiting Cool Wines this morning, but they don't open Sundays. Fortunatly my wife wanted to go into town, and as we were only a block away she insisted we go to Cool Wines "just in case". As it turned out, Tim was there putting back unused / unsold stock from beerfest and I was allowed in! Talk about a kid in a lolly shop! I was quite restrained, as the beers didn't have prices marked, but left with 13 stubbies for less than I had expected to spend. Will be joining their mailing list for sure, freight should be pretty reasonable.
Stopped at Ross for a scallop pie and scones on the way back. Had a wonderful weekend.

Great day, weather was superb, plenty of good beers and plenty to look at whilst drinking. Got their at about 11:30 and was a bit pissy by the time I met Spork. A 10% Polish beer that I forget stitched me up in a major way.
Beer of the day was Żywiec Porter, loverly drop.
Only one bad beer for the day.
Can't wait for next year
Chris

Fantastic Weekend.

Friday Night I attended 3 of the master classes, I enjoyed the Moo Brew one most as he was very informative. Also I got to meet itmechanic at the Morrison's stand and I agree that his Irish Red is a lovely drop. On Saturday I saw a bloke in a AHB shirt so I introduced myself and got to meet Spork and his wife. In the afternoon after getting some lunch and a tweaked IPA at the Squires Bounty my wife and I returned to the beerfest but the place was packed, you could hardly get up to the stands and by this point most were running out of beer so we called it a day.

Over all it was a great event. Beers that really stood out for me were the Van Dieman Two Heads IPA, the Mountain Goat Rarebread IPA and the Morrison's Irish Red.

Cant wait for the next one.

Went Saturday afternmoon with wife and friends. Luckily Mrs bomb enjoys a beer as well. Favourites - Zywiec porter was a great drop. Enjoyed Morrisons beers - Mrs bomb was hooked on the Morrison English Bitter - so much so she knocked over 4 or 5 schooners.
Also really enjoyed the 4 Pines Kolsch, and MG Steam ale. Tried a few different beers that are not normally to my liking, but enjoyed them on the day. Didn't try the 'bagpipe' beer, but met a few people who didn't rate it all.
Met up with Ianh, and enjoyed a few beers with him. Didn't see any AHB T shirts, but I was walking around in a Twisted Hop T shirt that got a lot of comments from the brewers. Had a quick chat to Itmech and family, (who all had Morrison Brewery T shirts :lol: ).
Positives
- Just about the only beerfest where you can sample and then buy the beer.
- Great range of Tassie brewers present
- Good to see so many younger people trying different beers
- No attitudes
Negatives for the Beerfest
- Too freakin noisy in that hall
- Homebrew comp - what happened there. Not judged yet ??
- Hard to find a seat
- Did I mention the noise
Also had a few beers at the New Sydney - the Moo Brew stout through the hopinator with ginger and choclate was pretty good. Had a few of those.
Also the Cambelltown pub has a great counter meal. Stopped on the way down, and on the way home.
Look forward to next year, and maybe meeting a few brewers next time.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Had a great weekend, excellent positive feedback about the beers, best seller was the Irish red closely followed by the English Bitter, was great to see so many female beer drinkers willing to give some darker beers a go.

Met some home brewers and pro brewers (same thing?!), all lovely people.

Have only just started counting but looks like we are around 2500 tastings for the weekend which we are really pleased with for our first year. Had a good article in the Mercury on thursday, on Win news on Friday and a small write up and photo in the newest Beer and Brewer.

Big thanks to everyone who came.

Cheers,
Paul

Another highlight was watching the faces of some mega swill drinking mates trying a big Brewdog AIPA priceless.
Cheers
Chris

Hi Newbie here, first post! I also went to the beerfest, luckily I'm only 1/2 an hour from Hobart. I tried every IPA I could find (I'm a big fan). There were 2 standouts for my taste, Mountian Goat and Little Creatures. I am a bit biased as I used to live in Fremantle and enjoyed LC's when it was a LC itself!
I agree with some of the other posts....the 'redeveloped' shed/beerhall is extremely noisy, but I reckon it's because they have sheeted over the corogated asbestos roof sheeting...none the less, it sounded like you were in a giant beehive!

(P.S. I did not like the Smoking Bagpipe either!)

:icon_cheers:

Its now a week after Beerfest and still havent heard anything about the homebrew comp. Does anyone have any idea if it has been judged yet or when can we expect to hear anything??

No news about competition at this stage. Emailed organiser to try and find out more info. I will advise when I get an answer.

News about home brew comp from THBS website

"Beers entered in the Home Brew Competition are being judged this week by the crew at Captain Bligh's, A Moo brew Brewer, the ex manager of Beer Deluxe and the brewer from Barrack St Brewery. Make sure you try Moo Brew and Captain Bligh's cider next time you see it on the shelves!!!!!
Results will be collated and posted on the website ASAP
We'll contact you before Christmas with prizes.
Thanks for your patience!!!"

Hope that helps for those waiting for answers.

Anyone heard anything about the Home Brew Comp?? Not that I expect to win, but it would be nice to receive some feedback for the 3 tallies I submitted!

Anyone heard anything about the Home Brew Comp?? Not that I expect to win, but it would be nice to receive some feedback for the 3 tallies I submitted!
I am now treating this competition as a scam. As far as I am concerned, someone has filled their cupboard up with beer, and pocketed the cash. It has been nearly 3 months without any information, despite emailing the organiser.
I will no longer be supporting the organisers business.
Not a very good result for the first comp that I have entered.

I feel your frustration LagerBomb, this was also the first comp I had ever entered. The impression I get from the organiser is that if anything this debacle is more likely incompetent than dishonest, but I certainly wont be entering next year. The only good thing about this was the free ticket to Beerfest I received for entering the comp.

Back