Tap A Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piste

Reaction score
I've just seen these 'bottles' and the tap system on ebay, anyone used one or know what it's like, do they work?
Essentially a 6 litre PET bottle with a relief valve and a tap system using a sparklets type bulb.
With my limited fridge space could be a cheap alternative to kegging, which I will get round to one day.
Did a search on this forum but found nothing.

Mmmm, three pages of indecision, think I may give it a miss and stick with bottling and wait to get a keg.
No one really answered the gas cartridge problem, are they threaded or not, marine suppliers could be another source of cheaper gas (used in self inflating PFD's).

no worries - thats the same conclusion I came to.
Cheers
Steve

I have a TAD system, and I reckon they are fine.

I don't force carbonate. I use the cartridge to dispense only.

I sit it upright in an old CD spindle whilst it carbonates (like an egg in an egg cup), and what little sediment there is, settles to the bottom nicely. Tilt carefully, place in fridge, and a week later the sediment has conjealed, and you end up with a crystal clear result.

Easy to hide in the fridge, and the bottle fits perfectly into the great invention of the 80's - the FRIJ. (The silver lined bag full of bean bag balls)

Keeps it ice cold all day.

Having said that, I use kegs at home, TAD for outside missions.

I get cartridges for $5.00/doz from a local catering supplier.

Hope this helps.

M

One concern on the other forum seemed to be life expectancy of the PET bottle and the metal cap.
I haven't seen one in the flesh so I have no idea what the metal cap is for, also how sturdy do you find the tap, this appeared to be of some concern.

i have had a T-A-D for 6 months. i haven't had any issues with it.
i use vice grips to do the lids up with (dont know if i am going over board but didnt want to risk flat beer).
The most important thing i must impress upon you is;
If you like effervescent lagers DO NOT buy a T-A-D.
If you like ales with low carbonation levels, you will love it.

cheers
adam

Piste said:
One concern on the other forum seemed to be life expectancy of the PET bottle and the metal cap.
I haven't seen one in the flesh so I have no idea what the metal cap is for, also how sturdy do you find the tap, this appeared to be of some concern.
[post="123655"][/post]​

There is a heavy duty plastic cap available that I use instead of the metal one provided.

whitecap.jpg

I would expect the life expectancy of the PET bottle to be no less than that of a coopers brown PET bottle.

The tap seems to be robust enough.... 18 months down the track I am still going strong.

One thing these are GREAT for, is making up 6 litres of girlie raspberry vodka cruiser type drinks when you have a barbie. All of the women reckon it's great, and SWMBO sees some value in brewing equipment ;)

[Edit: Got the bloody photo to attach properly]

M

SWMBO is always a problem <_< , a few years ago I bought a new Sage fly rod, when someone asked how much it cost I said $1500.00, they told me I was ripped off because they could buy one for $400.00, my response was it didn't include a new overlocker at that price :( .
Given the couple of positives I might just be tempted to try one, but not at ibrew prices :eek:
Incidentally, Coopers PET bottles are only good for one brew when SWMBO stacks the empties out the backof the shed in bright sunlight for a couple of months :angry:
30 new bottles and every one buggered.

Piste said:
Given the couple of positives I might just be tempted to try one, but not at ibrew prices :eek:
Incidentally, Coopers PET bottles are only good for one brew when SWMBO stacks the empties out the backof the shed in bright sunlight for a couple of months :angry:
30 new bottles and every one buggered.
[post="123679"][/post]​

Get ye down to G&G, price is much more reasonable. I've had mine for about 15 months and had to get the regulator replaced once (free of charge from the USA).

The earlier comment about carbonation is spot on, if you try to prime it too high it will just spit froth at you.

Bottles are supposed to be good for about 10 cycles but I'm sure some of mine have done more than that. I don't know what's supposed to happen to them after the 10th brew, turn into rubber chickens perhaps? :blink:

Cheers, Andrew.

Back