Tankless Hot Water System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading up on tankless hot water systems. I'm wondering if anyone uses these for there brewing?

I cant really find and good stats for them. from what i can tell, a 6lt/m one will do a + 25 C rise, my water is about 20 C.
So half the water out put 3lt/m and double to rise 50 C, i could get a constant 70C output at 3lt/m. so abit less than 10 mins to fill my 30lt urn seems good.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LPG-GAS-STAINLESS-S...#ht_5307wt_1208
$240

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOT-Choice-6L-LPG-G...#ht_1320wt_1165
$190

$200 is a lot i guess for hot water but i would like to see how much power this would save vs running a element for say 30-40 mins as i currently do. Plus then there is the advantage of having endless hot water when ever needed other times. (cleaning, etc)

but maybe i'm way off the mark with the conversion, etc. anyone got one of these systems in there homes, and can shed some light would be cool.

our HWS at home is a Bosch 22e which is a gas tankless system. I've got the optional temperature controller which allows me to dial it up to 75C. I find it very accurate. Plumbers are supposed to install a tempering valve but mine hasn't and I lose no sleep over this. This unit supplies hot water for all my brewing needs and is great.

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I thought it more approriate than starting a new one.

I picked up a Zip Hydroboil 10L from an office refit and looking at ways I could use it in my brew rig.I originally thought I could pull the element out and use it in a HERMS, but was wondering if I could use it to replace my HLT and control the temp with a PID?

I'm not sure if the 10L refers to a flow rate of 10L/minute or if it has a 10L storage tank inside? Does anyone know how these work?

10L/m would be fine for a HLT replacement.

Tim

Pretty sure they are tankless and heat as the water flows through the channels, which would mean 10L/min. Expensive buggers to run though!

Thanks DJ Lethal.

It would only run for three or four minutes while I fill up the mashtun, so should bt cost too much. I think its 2.4kw 10A.

Tim

I think they need to be "warmed" up though, you can't just turn it on at the wall and get hot water instantly. So there will be consumption in the warm up also (might be negligible). Maybe current meter it if you can and report back, you may be starting a handy trend for RIMS/HERMS brewers.

Latest posts

Back