Tanglehead Brewery - What Happened?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughman666

Reaction score
was in albany over the weekend and went to the pub on saturday.

i must say i was really disappointed. of the beers that were available on tap, 2 were undrinkable. :angry:

the pale ale tasted like it had just been kegged, it was so green, the bittering hops stuck out like dog's balls. plus it was really murky, i bet this had left the fermenter all of a day prior.

not deterred, i moved on to the pilsner - talk about a butterscotch cocktail. the diacetyl in this was so strong, you could smell it with the glass a good foot from your face.

i tried explaining to the bar staff what was wrong, but they weren't interested.

i'm not sure what is going on at this place but it looks like they either aren't letting the brews ferment through their natural course, not conditioning them or it's just poor quality control.

whistling jack, come on and hurry up with your brewery, tanglehead need the competition!

Quick, somebody say something nice about them before the brewer reads this and bitches about us on a different beer forum again!

I've only tried the packaged beers, and regardless of quality, $75 for a six pack of 9.1% beer is a bit rich.

Did you drop in at any of the others micros down that way Hugh? I was in Margaret River for the long weekend and slunk by Colonial and Cowaramup on the way home. Looks like Duckstein at Sarasin Estate is still not open....

no i didnt get time, we just went straight to albany and back, no side trips.

i am looking forward to catching up with jeremy at cowaramup next time i'm down that way though. it will be interesting to see how colonial goes with a new brewer, i'll be checking that out too, hopefully the kolsch stays up to scratch.

funnily enough with all of these micros springing up, i still find the old bootleg brews to be consistently tasty...particularly the settlers pale, a personal favourite :)

Did you drop in at any of the others micros down that way Hugh? I was in Margaret River for the long weekend and slunk by Colonial and Cowaramup on the way home. Looks like Duckstein at Sarasin Estate is still not open....

I've not been impressed by the beers at Bootleg, thought Colonial was doing a much better job. Didn't care much for the Cowaramup's efforts last time I was down there either. Nice kinda setup, but all seemed a bit bland and with the wrong kind of tastes for the styles, but there were a bunch of people there drinking it up, so might just be me.

Had a pretty good dry stout at Cowaramup. Dry, roasty, stout-like... pretty good.

funnily enough with all of these micros springing up, i still find the old bootleg brews to be consistently tasty...particularly the settlers pale, a personal favourite :)

Yeah I'd have to agree, it's one of my local favourites, and one I always return to... though I find the bitterness can get a bit too pungent/resinous after a couple.

The JJ's Pale is another contender for me, not many english PA's around with that much bitterness.

Has anyone tasted the Mad Monk IPA yet?

Oh and I forgot the Feral Tusk! I think my table must've gone through at least half a keg of that on Monday. The bar manager wanted to know which brewery we were from!

Quick, somebody say something nice about them before the brewer reads this and bitches about us on a different beer forum again!

I've only tried the packaged beers, and regardless of quality, $75 for a six pack of 9.1% beer is a bit rich.
$75.00 for a six pack, are you for real.no joke$75.00/6.cant be right.........cheers....spog...........

Us West aussie drinkers are spoilt with to many choices.There are some good , some not so good but Im glad we have the range to taste to make comparisons.Some start bad and come good others start bad and stay that way.Better than no choice at all , like 10 years ago.Give them all a go and go with the brew you like.Feral is my choice for a good range of beers, and always changing the menu. :beerbang:
I have not tasted Tangles beers and will not comment until they invite me for a taste.
GB

Us West aussie drinkers are spoilt with to many choices.There are some good , some not so good but Im glad we have the range to taste to make comparisons.Some start bad and come good others start bad and stay that way.Better than no choice at all , like 10 years ago.Give them all a go and go with the brew you like.Feral is my choice for a good range of beers, and always changing the menu. :beerbang:
I have not tasted Tangles beers and will not comment until they invite me for a taste.
GB

the main issue i have with tanglehead is the consistency. the pale ale has been good in the past, but not this time. they had a blueberry wheat beer which was great earlier this year but it was a seasonal and not there now. the pils has always been hit and miss, the stout mainly good. either way, the actual venue is great, good varied entertainment, nice food and nice atmosphere, they just need to get that consistency going and if i get an invite to go and check out the brewery, i would be more than happy to have a look and learn.

Drank the Pils at Clancy's at Canning Bridge last eve: diacetyl dot com.

was in albany over the weekend and went to the pub on saturday.

i must say i was really disappointed. of the beers that were available on tap, 2 were undrinkable. :angry:

the pale ale tasted like it had just been kegged, it was so green, the bittering hops stuck out like dog's balls. plus it was really murky, i bet this had left the fermenter all of a day prior.

not deterred, i moved on to the pilsner - talk about a butterscotch cocktail. the diacetyl in this was so strong, you could smell it with the glass a good foot from your face.

i tried explaining to the bar staff what was wrong, but they weren't interested.

i'm not sure what is going on at this place but it looks like they either aren't letting the brews ferment through their natural course, not conditioning them or it's just poor quality control.

whistling jack, come on and hurry up with your brewery, tanglehead need the competition!

Been watching this thread and waiting for an opportune moment to reply (especially after reading the discussion on Grand Ridge)...

We have had some consistency issues with our English pale ale, especially in the last couple of months and mainly due to yeast health problems, (thanks Australia Post).
We have also been trying to improve the malt/hop balance and body.
My personal preference has always been for the bottle conditioned version over the filtered draught version and we have therefore stopped filtering the pale ale altogether. I feel the residual yeast gives the beer a better mouthfeel and body.
The batch described above was over 3 weeks old and the second half of a double batch that had been cold conditioned for at least 2 weeks. The batch after that, which is on now, and also available in bottles, is fermented using a different yeast strain and is a big improvement. Unfortunately it was not ready in time for the PRBS.

In regards to my pilsner, I am really concerned at the continual references on this forum to over the top diacetyl. I do everything I can within reason to reduce the production and increase the absorption of diacetyl during fermentation of this beer and it is generally lagered for 3-4 weeks before serving (all I can reasonably manage in my environment).
The batch refered to above is one that was also sent to Melbourne for the AIBA, and would have been greener than the beer hughman tasted. It didn't win any medals, but of the 5 judges who tasted it, there was only one mention of "slight diacetyl" in the notes. The main comments were that it was "too thin" and "not bitter enough" for the pilsner class it was entered in.
The pale malt we use has a slight honey flavour and maybe this is what is being mistaken for excessive diacetyl?
Each to their own, I had a German travel agent customer on the weekend who absolutely hated my hefeweizen (gold medal, 2008 PRBS) but said the pilsner was the "best beer he had tasted in Australia"!

In regards to "Old White Hart", my (very) limited edition 9.1% barleywine. This beer was brewed in February 2007 and is the result of 4 fermentations. It is an all-grain beer (no extract) and we had to boil for 6 hours to get the sugar concentration we needed. The starting gravity was a whopping 30 plato (1.120). The beer was hand bottled and we only ended up with 1000 x 330ml stubbies to last us until we brew the next one. The excise, due to the high alcohol content, was excessive, and had to be paid up front, as soon as the beer was to be bottled. We didn't start selling the beer until it had been conditioned for 6 months and it didn't really start to develop its flavours until after 12.
Beers like this are not cheap to brew and package. its not a beer you go and buy a 6-pack of, unless you are planning to drink one now and cellar the rest.
If you want Australian brewers to produce beers like this, in the current excise regime, you need pay for them.
I kept the price $15/bottle as low as I could and its still questionable whether I make any money off this beer. (not that I am directly comparing my beer with Thomas Hardy, but I think that is priced at $20/250ml bottle). So far, it has received 2 bronze and 1 silver medal, not bad for my first effort, surely?

Allan
Tanglehead

Hey Allan very balanced reply. With regards to Diacetyl it can come at you from a few angles and it maybe worth sending some beer to Swan or ECU labs for analysis to put the matter at rest because I must admit I have shied away at times from this product due to the overpowering buttery nature.

It must also be noted that many aspects of beer production involves formation and reduction of diacetyl here is some things to think about though the rest costs $80 an hour though :D

If it is indeed malt driven than that flavour will remain quite stable over time as opposed to other sources of diacetyl.

Yeast strain can play a huge role highly flocculant lager yeast strains will leave behind noticable levels of diacetyl for example whilst powdery yeast strains that take time to settle through lagering will be much better diacetyl reducers.

Oxidation can form diacetyl in the presence of precursors in the beer.

Most cases of diacetyl almost always trace back to yeast health particulary if you are doing a fair amount of re-pitching

Fermentation profile times and length of diacetyl rest

Richo the brewery-less brewer.

In regards to "Old White Hart", my (very) limited edition 9.1% barleywine. This beer was brewed in February 2007 and is the result of 4 fermentations. It is an all-grain beer (no extract) and we had to boil for 6 hours to get the sugar concentration we needed. The starting gravity was a whopping 30 plato (1.120).

Hello Allan,

the barley wine must have finished very high if it started at 1.120 and ended up being 9.1% right?

i'm guessing something like 1050?

(1120-1050)*0.13=9.1% (give or take bottle conditioning)

Cheers Rob.

Concentrated boil Rob, I think ?

$15/330mL bottle is starting to get fairly exy, but then I'm sure we've all payed more for beer and as Crown are wanting to charge $65 for one bottle of their crud, I'd choose the Barleywine. We all know that the excise laws are silly, so any Australian brewer wishing to push the alcohol limits should be applauded.

I'll have to wander down to Albany and check this out I think.

The thing about barleywines, the Anniversary ales, etc is that they cost more money to make. More ingredients, storage time before release etc.
What you get as a consumer is a beer that, if made well, has a level of complexity that will be very interesting now and should only increase.
While I would love our excise laws to have an overhaul I also think that we have to change our attitude to beer and it's pricing.

$15 a 330ml equates to very approx. $40 a bottle, which many people would say is only the beginnings of where you get decent wine.
I don't agree, I think you can get good wines much cheaper than that, but you get where I am coming from.
That is the sort of level I think we need to be thinking. A beer like this, and I haven't tasted the one in particular but if it is a well made barleywine, should be thought about in that context. It is a complex drink that is every bit, if not more, interesting than a quality wine.

If the quality of the beer isn't up to scratch, then it isn't worth the money, but if it is, then I would see it as being priced where it has to be, and where it should be for what it is.

Concentrated boil Rob, I think ?

$15/330mL bottle is starting to get fairly exy, but then I'm sure we've all payed more for beer and as Crown are wanting to charge $65 for one bottle of their crud, I'd choose the Barleywine. We all know that the excise laws are silly, so any Australian brewer wishing to push the alcohol limits should be applauded.

I'll have to wander down to Albany and check this out I think.

ahh yes i forget about the constraints of space / equipment at these places thank you mika, thats what i'm here for to learn.

also i believe ibs have it for sale, if u wanna share a bottle let me know as i've only tried it when it was very young.

Cheers Rob.

Back