Tale of Woe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt junkie

Reaction score
It's been nearly a year since we decided to move from Western Sydney 1000k's south to country Victoria. We moved from a huge 7 bedroom place with big double garage and storage to boot. In moving we ditched 3 fridges (one a 6 keg 4 tap kegerator with TV attached) of course I stripped these down and kept the hardware for latter use. On the trip down the TV got smashed and the urn crushed, sight glass broken. :angry:

We moved into a tiny 2 bedder(renting), a single garage that leaked water and dust. I did get a few brews down once everything got settled, built myself a cute Keezer, things were on the up and up; however I found as time went on my cubes were getting infected. I took a break from brewing for a month or so. When I eventually got the urge to brew, I found that my entire kit was covered in mold inside and out. Further inspection revealed the worst, the entire property was riddled with it. Some how I'd been lucky enough to get a few brews through without infection, however I knew there was no way I could now that mold was through the lot. :angry2:

A couple of months on and we have moved again (I hate moving) to newer, bigger; double garage with some workshop type space and no mold. I got the old urn out and got it pretty close to straight and crown sent me a few sight glasses. Set up the brauclone for keg CIP and gave half the kegs(I have a lot I"ll do the rest in a month or two) a 40min 5% caustic wash, once done I broke down the fittings on the brauclone, including the valves and gave it all a clean. I had done the ferment fridges and keezer with Domestos over the previous days and loaded the keezer with 3 kegs of beer that had some how survived the biological nightmare. Job done right! All good!! And it was my birthday so 2 kegs get hooked up and beers are enjoyed. :D The following day I found a missing washer for the third tap and hooked it up! :D

Fathers day arrives, beer undies from the 5yo son says so much!! Around lunch I headed to the shed with a glass, pulled on the middle tap and nothing. I open the keezer to discover the keg has dispensed itself into the kezzer and my kegs are swimming in 9L of stout.

The beer gods are NOT being kind gentlemen.

Once more unto the breach fellow brewers (cleaning products in toe)

Where'd I put that clever blokes number???

My condolences for your loss of stout and batches.. maybe you should grab an Air Wick from Woolies and load it up with Glen 20 ;)

malt junkie said:
It's been nearly a year since we decided to move from Western Sydney 1000k's south to country Victoria. We moved from a huge 7 bedroom place with big double garage and storage to boot. In moving we ditched 3 fridges (one a 6 keg 4 tap kegerator with TV attached) of course I stripped these down and kept the hardware for latter use. On the trip down the TV got smashed and the urn crushed, sight glass broken. :angry:

We moved into a tiny 2 bedder(renting), a single garage that leaked water and dust. I did get a few brews down once everything got settled, built myself a cute Keezer, things were on the up and up; however I found as time went on my cubes were getting infected. I took a break from brewing for a month or so. When I eventually got the urge to brew, I found that my entire kit was covered in mold inside and out. Further inspection revealed the worst, the entire property was riddled with it. Some how I'd been lucky enough to get a few brews through without infection, however I knew there was no way I could now that mold was through the lot. :angry2:

A couple of months on and we have moved again (I hate moving) to newer, bigger; double garage with some workshop type space and no mold. I got the old urn out and got it pretty close to straight and crown sent me a few sight glasses. Set up the brauclone for keg CIP and gave half the kegs(I have a lot I"ll do the rest in a month or two) a 40min 5% caustic wash, once done I broke down the fittings on the brauclone, including the valves and gave it all a clean. I had done the ferment fridges and keezer with Domestos over the previous days and loaded the keezer with 3 kegs of beer that had some how survived the biological nightmare. Job done right! All good!! And it was my birthday so 2 kegs get hooked up and beers are enjoyed. :D The following day I found a missing washer for the third tap and hooked it up! :D

Fathers day arrives, beer undies from the 5yo son says so much!! Around lunch I headed to the shed with a glass, pulled on the middle tap and nothing. I open the keezer to discover the keg has dispensed itself into the kezzer and my kegs are swimming in 9L of stout.

The beer gods are NOT being kind gentlemen.

Once more unto the breach fellow brewers (cleaning products in toe)

Where'd I put that clever blokes number???
Some of us here would probably try to drink it scooping out with the glass.

not good to hear mate.
just remember that with caustic it works a lot better over 65 degrees.

I set the caustic at 50c each keg got a minimum of 40mins on this 1473070410952.jpg
This was the keezer, it was a really nice stout too, so tempted to dip the glass in, but the base of those kegs were not anywhere near clean.1473070615287.jpg

Oh and the keg cleaning setup had caustic running through both posts with the brauduino controlling temp. Once setup it was easy going, because I have enough kegs I'll probably do this as a standard clean, good excuse to be in the shed sipping on a few cold ones.

So sorry for your loss MJ. I hope you can rebrew from this.

An unfortunate tale of woe mate, curious as to how the keg dispensed itself in the fridge. Did a fitting blow out?

Camo6: Way too much malt waiting to be mashed to quit now, lets not add up the hops or equipment the mind boggles.

MB: Split line right at the disconnect, teach me for not double checking, I have spare line but now no beer. I removed the lines when we moved and replaced without a thought.

I have some yeast on the way so the plan is to first brew an IPA then APA then a wheat and then a double batch of APA or Amber or maybe an Irish red. If all that fails I don't deserve beer. Hell kerr has made more beer than me in the last 5 months. I'm sure I'll get to that point where I run out of space to keep kegs cool and have 2 double batches fermenting away again. Just not very soon.

I feel your pain mike !
lost 2 cubes a while back ...

although you've had a rough run. sure you will overcome them.

micbrew

Latest posts

Back