Taking Care Of Hydrometers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
I realise they really aren't that expensive but I was just wondering how to properly look after my hydrometer? ...Regarding cleaning mainly.

Give it a rinse, a wipe and then dry. Store safely and do not drop! (They don't bounce! :p )

Cheers SJ

Glad to hear maintenance is clear and simple, cheers.

They should make rubber ones so the do bounce, cleaning up all the little shards of glass from a broken one take ages :(

I think it would be cool if they could bounce.

Don't hold it horizontally with the lid off the tube, and turn quickly.
Centrifugal force is a cruel prick indeed. <_<

another note dont hold it in the same hand you turn the tap on with :wacko: some how had a hand full of broken glass but not a single cut lucky

another note dont hold it in the same hand you turn the tap on with :wacko: some how had a hand full of broken glass but not a single cut lucky

Ha ha, you've no idea how many time I've almost done that

I just rinse mine, give it a shake and leaving sitting on the drying rack on the bench....

I really need a new testing tube though, mine is starting to get quite dirty, and tasting the samples within can not be good for me.

hard plastic hydro tube. good place for storing the hydrometer when not in use. dont need to worry about it getting crushed.

Get yourself a decent hydrometer tube - tough glass graduated cylinder with stand...

U14205_L_graduated-cylinder-100-ml.jpg

Not only is it great for taking samples, it's dead easy to clean properly, and serves as a handy place to store the hydrometer when not in use. That, and lab equipment looks cool.

I really need a new testing tube though, mine is starting to get quite dirty, and tasting the samples within can not be good for me.

Just man up and deal with the mould! I do! :ph34r:

:p

Fill it with a very hot napisan solution (fairly strong one if it's putrid). That'll fix her up

And make it all wobbly.

best way is to drop them on cement a few times after use, its the best way to get all that crap off them

best way is to drop them on cement a few times after use, its the best way to get all that crap off them

That's what I did the other day. Worked so well I did it with my thermometer as well.

And make it all wobbly.

Done it to mine a few times now and never had an issue. Mine is fairly thick though, you obviously wouldn't do it to those ones with the thickness of a PET bottle

Also do not stick one in your mouth to hold it while your hands are full. Broken shards of glass in your mouth can be alarming :unsure:

How long till they start building them into fermenters? Cos that would be awesome.

DrinkBeer

Back